Biggest knife sins?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zachreed1
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Biggest knife sins?

Postby Zachreed1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am

I know I am not the only one guilty of this. I always want my newest knife to be my favorite knife, and it is for a brief period. In some cases I’ll switch interests before the knife even arrives to my door. The latest case was the case of the Para 3 lw. I thought it would be the one knife to rule them all, but after a month of use I found myself desiring my delica. The Para 3 lw is superior in most measurable areas but it just doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling like my delica does. Perhaps the perfect edc(for me) has been here all along. That being said an Edura 4 will be arriving shortly. The search continues.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Pancake » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 am

Heat treating steels that should be 61HRC to like 58.....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45

User avatar
GiftedMisfit
Member
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:20 am
Location: Ontario, Canada. Earth

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby GiftedMisfit » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:59 am

Sharpening before I even use the blade? Is that a sin?
:spyder: Jesse :spyder:
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"

GarageBoy
Member
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby GarageBoy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 am

Grabbing a box cutter to cut something because you don't want to get your knife dirty - double points for when the knife is the better job

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:16 am

Pancake wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 am
Heat treating steels that should be 61HRC to like 58.....
Heh, I see what you did there. :p

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2263
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby curlyhairedboy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:26 am

not using the best steel for the job, even when you have it with you.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:36 am

Neglecting a great knife because it's a back lock and not fun and fidgety...so you only buy compression locks.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

Zachreed1
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Zachreed1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:49 am

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:59 am
Sharpening before I even use the blade? Is that a sin?
Not a sin. I resharpen every factory edge. It’s my absolute favorite thing to do when I get a new knife. I bust out the tormek, pour a drink, put on some knife YouTube and make an evening out of it
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt

Zachreed1
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Zachreed1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:36 am
Neglecting a great knife because it's a back lock and not fun and fidgety...so you only buy compression locks.
Man that one almost stung. I certainly don’t neglect my back locks and I enjoy fidgeting with them as much as any compression lock. But that would be a terrible sin
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt

Zachreed1
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Zachreed1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 am

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 am
Grabbing a box cutter to cut something because you don't want to get your knife dirty - double points for when the knife is the better job
Definitely a mortal sin
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 10007
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am

I see the biggest knife sins in the kitchen usually.

Granite cutting boards.

Pull through carbide sharpeners.

Putting knives in the dishwasher.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Pancake » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:09 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am

Pull through carbide sharpeners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf_oTAU2cpI
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Jazz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:10 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am
Granite cutting boards.

Pull through carbide sharpeners.

Why would you cut on a rock, that you can sharpen your knife on? Who thought of this idiocy? And, those sharpeners are just crap.

I hate when I order a knife after a lot of thought and research, am all excited, it takes a while to get here, then when it does, I'm not all gaga like I was when I ordered it - just like Zachreed1 said.
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:13 am

Jazz wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:10 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am
Granite cutting boards.

Pull through carbide sharpeners.

Why would you cut on a rock, that you can sharpen your knife on? Who thought of this idiocy? And, those sharpeners are just crap.

I hate when I order a knife after a lot of thought and research, am all excited, it takes a while to get here, then when it does, I'm not all gaga like I was when I ordered it - just like Zachreed1 said.
Or when it's a different model, and then it turns out to be pretty much like another model you already have and you're a bit disappointed (say a Sage 5 and a Para 3) At least that's what happened to me.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

Zachreed1
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Zachreed1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 am

Writing off knives because they don’t have “super steels”
In my experience vg10 and d2 are my favorite steels. Super easy to sharpen and any longer lasting edge won’t be significantly better, but much more expensive. Learn to sharpen and enjoy any knife pattern.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt

User avatar
anycal
Member
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: California

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby anycal » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 am

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 am
Grabbing a box cutter to cut something because you don't want to get your knife dirty - double points for when the knife is the better job
Made me chuckle.

Someone asking me to use my knife. I pause to think about what is in my pocket. If it's a beater, I will let them use it. If it is a prescious I just sharpened, I diflect or run away.
Peter

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22327
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Evil D » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:34 am

Pull through sharpeners, bench grinders, using them as screwdrivers/scrapers/prybars.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:39 am

anycal wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 am
Grabbing a box cutter to cut something because you don't want to get your knife dirty - double points for when the knife is the better job
Made me chuckle.

Someone asking me to use my knife. I pause to think about what is in my pocket. If it's a beater, I will let them use it. If it is a prescious I just sharpened, I diflect or run away.
Haha! Happens to me at work quite a bit...everyone knows I've got a "knife" and they ask if they can use my "knife"

I've always got a box cutter and some gloves in my reflective vest pocket...they always get the box cutter when asking for a "knife" unless their one of the 3 other people around here that actually know a bit about knives. :p
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

Marulaghost
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Marulaghost » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:49 am

I was in someone else's kitchen about to cut an onion. No plastic or wood cutting boards. Just glass...
I said these cutting boards aren't good.
Their reply:
"It's ok. It's tempered glass"

Their kitchen knives were dull

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Postby Jazz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:57 am

Marulaghost wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:49 am
I was in someone else's kitchen about to cut an onion. No plastic or wood cutting boards. Just glass...
I said these cutting boards aren't good.
Their reply:
"It's ok. It's tempered glass"

Their kitchen knives were dull

Exactly. :rolleyes:
- best wishes, Jazz.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gdwtvb, Google [Bot], mikey177, Philo Beddoe and 42 guests