Advice requested on some Rosewood Shaman scale damage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Honeydog

Advice requested on some Rosewood Shaman scale damage

Post by Honeydog »

Hi! New member here. Been reading for a while and have learned a lot from this board!

I’d like to take advantage of the knowledge of board members with a request for advice – I dropped my nice new Rosewood Shaman and damaged the edge of the scale at the lock. I can feel it snag slightly and I’d like to smooth it out. Is there anything members might recommend to do this?
IMG_1831.jpg
Your advice is highly appreciated!

Honeydog
VooDooChild

Re: Advice requested on some Rosewood Shaman scale damage

Post by VooDooChild »

Sand it. Be careful, go slow, dont take too much off.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:03 am
Sand it. Be careful, go slow, dont take too much off.
I did the same thing to my Benchmade Hunt knife. I sanded it just enough so it didn’t snag, it still bugged me enough that I really never carried it again. Good news though, there are lots of scale options for you.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Definitely sand it, but use high grits and some sort of dust mask or respirator.

Your knife has more character now, enjoy it. My Rosewood Shaman hasn't left my pocket, since it arrived at my door.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

That's the down side of pakkawood - sand it gently

I think it's glue laminated so you don't need to seal it after

I think it's better as a scale material for fully liner-ed knives vs hidden liners - the liners at least protect against the edges of the material
Last edited by GarageBoy on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am not trying to be as snarky as this sounds but don't buy plywood knives.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Can´t give any additional advice (but to sand it), but if you plan on keeping the knife (and not selling it) I personally would even like to watch how it becomes more and more "your" personal knife that somehow tells a story by the signs of use and little "scars" it gets over time. I definitely like my knives more when thy start to look used.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ll give ya half price for it!
Tims

Post by Tims »

That damage is small enough you could build it to the original shape with resin. You could even tint the resin to colour match if you wanted to. How much does it bother you?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, it is definitely "your knife" now. Nothing to feel bad about. I had a friend who would say that a knife wasn't his until he had cut himself with it. I don't particularly subscribe to that, but a good ding definitely makes a knife "mine". That spot caught my attention on the "rosewood" Shaman as being particularly delicate, so it is no surprise to see it damaged.

Me, I would gently sand it, remembering that you can take off but not put back on easily -- with the aim to simply make it stop snagging. That is the sort of thing I end up doing to my fingernails from time to time. Then enjoy the personalization.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If you have the chip/s, superglue them into place, and sand down the surface to match.
Tims

Post by Tims »

1- Remove damaged scale
2- trim small piece of cardboard to fit in the lockbar recess in scale. Cut it to fit snug so it’s butted up tight against damaged section of scale.
3- mix resin, colour tint if desired, keep mixing slowly and allow it to start going off a bit so nice and viscous.
4- apply carefully with toothpick. Build it up beyond the scale in all dimensions to allow sanding/profiling. Let a bit seep in between scale and cardboard to ensure total filling/eliminate gaps.
5- Allow resin to fully cure
6- Work at removing cardboard slowly.
7- dress a flat, hard surface with sandpaper. Better to spend more time with a finer grit here than something too aggressive and mess it up.
8- Once you’ve got the basic profile done move to a paddlepop stick dressed with fine grade to finish off. Gently/slowly does it

That’s about how I’d do it anyway
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Tims wrote: 1- Remove damaged scale
2- trim small piece of cardboard to fit in the lockbar recess in scale. Cut it to fit snug so it’s butted up tight against damaged section of scale.
3- mix resin, colour tint if desired, keep mixing slowly and allow it to start going off a bit so nice and viscous.
4- apply carefully with toothpick. Build it up beyond the scale in all dimensions to allow sanding/profiling. Let a bit seep in between scale and cardboard to ensure total filling/eliminate gaps.
5- Allow resin to fully cure
6- Work at removing cardboard slowly.
7- dress a flat, hard surface with sandpaper. Better to spend more time with a finer grit here than something too aggressive and mess it up.
8- Once you’ve got the basic profile done move to a paddlepop stick dressed with fine grade to finish off. Gently/slowly does it

That’s about how I’d do it anyway
Epoxy along with many other resins and adhesives will peel right off of certain plastics. Use a cut piece of thin painters plastic (the plastic sheets painters sometimes use) in between the cardboard and the scale or inbetween the scale and the lockbar if you wanted to use that, and pull the plastic after the resin has kicked.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tims

Post by Tims »

^ good think’n ^
archangel

Post by archangel »

jdw wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 am

This, with one limitation: buy them if you don't mind them changing over time and with use.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Honeydog

Post by Honeydog »

Thanks for the welcomes and advice everyone! You’re very kind.

I will consider the next course of action, but I will probably take whichever approach has the least chance of me screwing up. It looks worse in magnification actually – I didn’t even notice the damage until it started to snag, which is the main irritant. But you might be able to imagine – once you do see it, you can’t see anything else! I don’t plan on selling it though so a little character isn’t a problem.

It’s a great knife but that is definitely a weak spot which could get damaged again. Although the Shaman is really ergonomic the Dymondwood is a little slick, hence the accident. But I love the look of wood (plywood :eek: ) scales, so I couldn’t stop myself from buying it.

As far as sandpaper grit goes – do you think something like P400 or higher?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 am
jdw wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 am

This, with one limitation: buy them if you don't mind them changing over time and with use.
Or buy them if you have the steel and plan to trade out the scales as needed/desired.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

400 grit is pretty coarse - go finer for the final finish