Worn out torx screws

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

Worn out torx screws

Post by SpyderGrill »

Why do knife makers use torx screws that are known to strip out easy versus a square head screw? Square heads are so much stronger
Mike Blue

Re: Worn out torx screws

Post by Mike Blue »

Because the companies that make or supply micro-fasteners typically used in folding knives do not have square drive as a choice. You could use hex head-Allen for a driver. The material 18-8 SS is not often heat treated either.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

As a carpenter my own experience is that Torx recesses resist stripping better than Robertson recesses. On a #9-10 screw that would be T-25 vs R2.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Because for their intended purpose which is assembling a knife and holding it together for its expected lifetime they're just fine.
For obsessive tinkerers who can't leave anything assembled i doubt even LEGO would last :P
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Torx is stronger/ can resist more torque then hex, Philips head.
Other problem is, that most of the the time, torx used on knives are very shallow, and they are made from kinda soft steel.
Like, if you strip a torx screw, you would strip a hex or Philips head in the same size and same depth anyway.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If by "square head" you mean a Phillips head, then I will 10000000% stay with torx screws. More points/grooves = more leverage and more friction/surface contact between the driver and the screw. It's a better design.

The real question is, could manufacturers use a harder better quality steel for their screws that is less likely to strip, and are YOU using quality bit drivers of the proper size to avoid stripping them in the first place?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I definitely applaud the industry's slow movement to a higher minimum torx size on even the smallest screws. Anything under a T8 tends to need a lot more attention to not strip.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:46 am
Because for their intended purpose which is assembling a knife and holding it together for its expected lifetime they're just fine.
For obsessive tinkerers who can't leave anything assembled i doubt even LEGO would last :P
I can’t understand it either, Larry. :rolleyes:

Why anyone would want to disassemble and Blueprint an expensive knife when they can just “break it in” by oiling the pivot and flicking it open and close 20,000, beats me.

How about the crazies who ruin a perfectly good knife by swapping quality FRN scale for wood, micarta, bone, titanium and other such nonsense.

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :p :D

Bloody madness, mate! I’ll never understand it. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Torx are better than flat, Philips, and hex, and square is good for electrical work but torx can take more torque. More points of contact. Use decent tools (I don't even use wiha... Lol) and make sure to be fully seated and you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't stripped a single screw yet, but I did snap the head off a titanium t6 screw.

Just be smarter than what you're working with.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:46 am
I can’t understand it either, Larry. :rolleyes:

Why anyone would want to disassemble and Blueprint an expensive knife when they can just “break it in” by oiling the pivot and flicking it open and close 20,000, beats me.

How about the crazies who ruin a perfectly good knife by swapping quality FRN scale for wood, micarta, bone, titanium and other such nonsense.

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :p :D

Bloody madness, mate! I’ll never understand it. :confused:
I have swapped scales on some of my knives with great result, the part i can't get my head around is "disassemble for maintenance"
Good job my Delica clipit from 1994 didn't know it had to be disassembled for maintenance :)
RE: "Blueprinting" i see it as blueprinting a motor, yes it can be done, but unless it's a racing engine it's pretty pointless.
Of course it is just my subjective opinion, and i haven't payed for the knives people ruin trying to improve them.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 am
I have swapped scales on some of my knives with great result, the part i can't get my head around is "disassemble for maintenance"
Good job my Delica clipit from 1994 didn't know it had to be disassembled for maintenance :)
RE: "Blueprinting" i see it as blueprinting a motor, yes it can be done, but unless it's a racing engine it's pretty pointless.
Of course it is just my subjective opinion, and i haven't payed for the knives people ruin trying to improve them.
I’m only playing and being facetious, Larry. :p

Wish you lived a little closer, mate. I’d come over with a box of beer, if you had rollmops, I’d change all you scales back to the originals and tune all your screwed assembly knives to perfection for you, free of charge. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I wasn't aware they were called Robertson head. I built many decks, used them hanging cabinets and screwing them together and woodworking in general without any problems like a Philips head. I was just thinking they wood be nice as knife hardware versus the standard torx screw.

Also I have never stripped out a Spyderco screw as I have never took 1 apart yet, just moved a couple pocket clips. I have stripped a couple chinese knives but that was before I got my Wiha bits.

Just seems to me that the Robertson heads are pretty tough when using a drill to run them into yellow pine or oak hardwood without spinning out like a Phillips head.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:26 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 am
I’m only playing and being facetious, Larry. :p

Wish you lived a little closer, mate. I’d come over with a box of beer, if you had rollmops, I’d change all you scales back to the originals and tune all your screwed assembly knives to perfection for you, free of charge. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D
I bet we'd have long intense, interesting discussions :) It would be nice and fun. I'd lock away all non-riveted knives before you arrived though :D