Knifejoy Exclusive SMOCK!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive SMOCK!

Post by samdasnake »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:30 am
So in the end I decided to upgrade my Smock and get the funky scales this knife deserves. I'm pretty happy how it turned out!

Could I ask where you got those scales? That is stunning knife. My 20CV smock is one of my favorites and I've been trying to decide on a scale upgrade. Also, can you tell me if there are any trick to dis/reassembly when you added these scales? Thanks!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:08 am
JuPaul wrote:
So in the end I decided to upgrade my Smock and get the funky scales this knife deserves. I'm pretty happy how it turned out!

Could I ask where you got those scales? That is stunning knife. My 20CV smock is one of my favorites and I've been trying to decide on a scale upgrade. Also, can you tell me if there are any trick to dis/reassembly when you added these scales? Thanks!
Yep, the scales are from RCBladeworks. Blue/natural linen micarta. As for disassembly/reassembly, it's really pretty easy, but you do need to know that there's a second detent ball in the Smock. It's tiny, and it just falls out when you take the knife apart, so I suggest doing it over a tray so you don't lose the ball. And you've gotta get the ball back in place, which isn't hard except for the fact that it's so small. Needle nose pliars could help if you've got big fingers. Nick Shabazz has a great disassembly video on youtube. I'd recommend watching it a time or two first.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharpdressedknives.com also has a few nice selections for the Smock.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:21 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:08 am
JuPaul wrote:

Yep, the scales are from RCBladeworks. Blue/natural linen micarta. As for disassembly/reassembly, it's really pretty easy, but you do need to know that there's a second detent ball in the Smock. It's tiny, and it just falls out when you take the knife apart, so I suggest doing it over a tray so you don't lose the ball. And you've gotta get the ball back in place, which isn't hard except for the fact that it's so small. Needle nose pliars could help if you've got big fingers. Nick Shabazz has a great disassembly video on youtube. I'd recommend watching it a time or two first.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the detailed info.