Knifejoy Exclusive SMOCK!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Burton Knut

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive SMOCK!

Post by Burton Knut »

Got it! This takes “smooth” G10 up a notch. I’d call it polished to differentiate from the smooth Cruwear sprints. Still undecided on whether or not to leave it as is or swap for micarta/terotuf options.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

The "smooth" g10 feels great, I also like the cruwear smooth style but definitely prefer this one, and the 20cv came screaming sharp. They also did a nice big run for the first Smock variant in a subdued but solid combo at a base model price, so cheers to KnifeJoy for taking a chance. As much as another color/material would be interesting this is definitely an idealized "stock" version to me especially at the price point.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

DTPrime wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 pm
The "smooth" g10 feels great, I also like the cruwear smooth style but definitely prefer this one, and the 20cv came screaming sharp.
I’m still warming up to the smooth g10, but I don’t NOT like it so it’s kinda weird lol.

This. Knife. Is. SHARP!!!!!

This knife had my curiosity, and now has my full undivided attention
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Looks like my first Smock is out for delivery :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

KJ Smock is here and it's a good one. The action is dialed in perfect (for me) and fit & finish are typical Taichung quality
Kesson

Post by Kesson »

I like the looks of the smooth g10 over the original carbon peel ply and the 20cv makes it pretty tempting.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Kesson wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:35 am
I like the looks of the smooth g10 over the original carbon peel ply and the 20cv makes it pretty tempting.
I received mine yesterday and it's better than expected. The action and fit/finish are great. The ergos are a little different for me but, since it's not a knife I'll be using for long cutting sessions, it's not something I'll worry about
rivy

Post by rivy »

Got mine a couple days ago, threw a black Lynch clip on and I’ve been enjoying it quite a bit. The fidget factor on this knife is awesome (my first smock).

I am also thinking about doing aftermarket scales...
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 am
Kesson wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:35 am
I received mine yesterday and it's better than expected. The action and fit/finish are great. The ergos are a little different for me but, since it's not a knife I'll be using for long cutting sessions, it's not something I'll worry about
Interesting, my Para 3 came today and my first Smock is in the mail.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I too received mine a couple of days ago.While I think carbon fiber or perhaps fluted titanium is my favorite scale material, the polished G10 on this Smock is *very* nice. It reminds me of the scales on my Des Horn. And yes, mine came screaming sharp as well! I don't feel that the smooth G10 on this knife is a downgrade from the CF Smock at all, and the steel upgrade is a bonus.

I really gotta stay away from the forum, these tough economic times and I find myself buying more Sprints. You'd think 400-something knives would be enough! Just ordered a Glow-in-the-dark Delica today as they became available again, I missed out when they were first released. Then there is the Cutlery Shoppe orange/bllue Para3 that came today...
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So in the end I decided to upgrade my Smock and get the funky scales this knife deserves. I'm pretty happy how it turned out!

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Sweet scales Julia! I’m still debating what I’ll do on my incoming 4V model.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Burton Knut wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:12 pm
I've been thinking about that, too. Not sure I'll keep the red. I might do a swap with the rex45 scales and have the burnt orange and dlc on the 4v, and red on the satin rex45.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:14 pm
Burton Knut wrote:
I've been thinking about that, too. Not sure I'll keep the red. I might do a swap with the rex45 scales and have the burnt orange and dlc on the 4v, and red on the satin rex45.
Copy cat :p

That's the fun of having all these Manix's! Mix and match your own creations. I kind of regret selling my DLT red scales from the 20CV. I think I'd rather have them on my Rex than the 52100 gray now that I think about it. Red with satin is very nice looking.

Those Smock scales are awesome, haven't seen them before. Where are those from?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Burton Knut wrote:

That's the fun of having all these Manix's! Mix and match your own creations. I kind of regret selling my DLT red scales from the 20CV. I think I'd rather have them on my Rex than the 52100 gray now that I think about it. Red with satin is very nice looking.

The burnt orange/dlc idea definitely came from you - it looks so good! And I agree, the red and satin looks great, too.

The scales are RCbladeworks - natural/blue linen micarta. I'd seen them for other models before, but never the smock. They used to sell only in stock scales on ebay, but now they've got a website where you can custom order.
- Julia

elena86

Post by elena86 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:30 am
So in the end I decided to upgrade my Smock and get the funky scales this knife deserves. I'm pretty happy how it turned out!

Awesome ! Where did you get those ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:31 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:30 am
Awesome ! Where did you get those ?
RCBladeworks. From their new website you can custom order - these are natural/blue linen micarta. I loved the faded/bleeding colors look!
- Julia

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Burton Knut wrote:

I think I may have bought those DLT red scales from you? :)
I'm pretty sure, that they're still sitting in my scale drawer. If you want to swap them for something else? Just send me a PM.
Kesson

Post by Kesson »

just received my knifejoy smock. lovely little knife. not a fan of the peel ply carbon and I have so many s30v blades already so this version was a welcome option. I suppose i'm late to the party but it is a really fun knife to play around with. fit and finish are great.

I really hope spyderco can incorporate some of the smock features into future models. as fun as it is, it is a little small in hand for me to imagine using for serious cutting tasks and the blade is pretty short in relation to the handle due to the button compression lock. I really do like the blade shape though!

I'm imagining something like the shaman with thicker, more ergonomic contoured handle, nested liners and with the button lock and similar flipper tab to smock. maybe I'm dreaming but I think there is so much potential there for something that can both work and play hard.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

In stock again if you missed 'em before.

https://knifejoy.com/spyderco-smock-com ... 0cv-blade/
- Julia