Serrated Shaman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Serrated Shaman?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lately I have found myself looking at a fully serrated Shaman. While not a fan of S30V in Plain edge I do like it ins a Spydie edge.

So I am curious how people who own one of these like the way it performs?

How for example does it compare with the fully serrated PM2?
JD Spydo

Re: Serrated Shaman?

Post by JD Spydo »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:55 am
Lately I have found myself looking at a fully serrated Shaman. While not a fan of S30V in Plain edge I do like it ins a Spydie edge.

So I am curious how people who own one of these like the way it performs?

How for example does it compare with the fully serrated PM2?
I truly wish Spyderco would consider going back to the days to where most models were available in SE & PE both. And many models were nice in CE too. Unfortunately the knives offered in SE are narrowed down to only a select few available in full SE.

If nothing else they could make at least 10% to 15% of each model available in full SE. I just know in my gut that at least that many people would buy them.

I've never yet owned or used a Shaman model but I've heard good things about it. I'm more than sure if they would make 15% of those in SE that they wouldn't last long. They should test market at least a few models that way IMO.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I had one and loved it. The size was bigger than I wanted to carry and it lives with WireEdge Rog now. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one in SE
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

I haven't owned a full SE PM2 but i do have a SE Shaman. I love it and really have no doubt when i use it that it will get the job done, what ever it may be. I've used mine to cut through steel tie down straps on pallets, two inch thick tow straps, and open a nice package from amazon containing our new wireless modem.

I do find however, that it can be too much knife. Just cutting tape or breaking down boxes, unless you're at home that knife is going to turn heads.

S30V however as you already stated, not my favorite steel for a plain edge either. On a SE though? It excels! Holds an edge fairly well, but easy to sharpen. I personally hate sharpening SEs.

:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

BLJace wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:59 pm
I haven't owned a full SE PM2 but i do have a SE Shaman. I love it and really have no doubt when i use it that it will get the job done, what ever it may be. I've used mine to cut through steel tie down straps on pallets, two inch thick tow straps, and open a nice package from amazon containing our new wireless modem.

I do find however, that it can be too much knife. Just cutting tape or breaking down boxes, unless you're at home that knife is going to turn heads.

S30V however as you already stated, not my favorite steel for a plain edge either. On a SE though? It excels! Holds an edge fairly well, but easy to sharpen. I personally hate sharpening SEs.

how did it fare on the tie down straps? I tried using my PE shaman for that once and it immediately dulled the edge.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I will add the sculpted G10 handles rock. Doesn’t ride in pocket as well as flat G10 but is way more ergonomic in the hand.
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 am
BLJace wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:59 pm

how did it fare on the tie down straps? I tried using my PE shaman for that once and it immediately dulled the edge.
Once i got it to bite in, it had no trouble. Teeth still looked great. It's not something i would want to do daily to the blade, but nice to know it can handle it.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks, that's good to hear!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only issue with SE/S30V is that it'll take a lot more work to fix edge damage. I started trying to reprofile this Sliverax that I had serrations cut into and it was immediately apparent how much more wear resistant S30V is than H1 or LC200N. I've experienced the same thing with my SE Military. If you end up needing to reprofile the serrations you'll be in for some work. I would be ok with using this combo but I wouldn't use it as hard as my Salts or any time I saw the potential for edge damage.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David