Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by GarageBoy »

And I'm rolling my eyes because of statements like "hard pass, I already have one similar" :D

I may suck at freehand sharpening, but having more tool steels available excite me
wrdwrght

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by wrdwrght »

Put in my order for the satin finish. My first 10V. Woohoo!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 am
BTW - where was the scorpion tie in?
Yeah, the whole scorpion thing was just odd and I'm not really sure what that was about either. :confused:

Hopefully its not the beginning a trend where certain combos start getting pet names... That would make things unnecessarily confusing, in my opinion. :rolleyes:
-Nick :bug-red
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

They seem to be selling briskly... About 1 or two a minute base on me playing with the cart totals, down to approx 230 satin as of writing.

Trying to hold out. :o
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:56 am
And I'm rolling my eyes because of statements like "hard pass, I already have one similar" :D

I may suck at freehand sharpening, but having more tool steels available excite me
I have 3 basic criteria for purchasing a new knife. The knife must be interesting in these 2 out of 3 areas for my brain to decide I need it even though I already have enough knives to last several lifetimes.
  • Steel
  • Color - yes, shame on me, I don't care
  • Model
Illogical criteria:
  • Para 3
  • One of the three features above is unique enough that my brain wanty, no good reason (I have 6 M390 knives I can't explain why, I have an M390 problem honestly)
This knife did not pass 2 out of the 3 for me. I haven't experienced 10v yet, but it's highly likely there will be some other exclusive that is more interesting in 10v. If this had FDE pvd blade, illogical reasoning would have kicked in... yes solely based on color. I've learned to accept I am a flawed human being and my brain is not 100% functional compared to others. :D
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 am
How is this too close to the s35vn model?, it's cpm10v!!
Or is everyone just buying these just on color now?
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 am
Well hope they ordered enough to satisfy buying pressure otherwise I will take another seller off of my buying list.
You gonna be jumping on this?

Who HAS made enough for you ?
Hype models are gonna hype (like micarta shaman) and others could very well sit around

Even this one, REC took a risk and offered us freaking cpm10v and not another boring m390/cts 204p/CPM 20cv exclusive and people are already complaining that it's brown and thus boring

BTW - where was the scorpion tie in?
Nope passing on this. Have too many PM2's.

Who has made enough? Blade H.Q. did with their last Sprint run. I did not buy but I approved of the way they purchased enough and most of the forum members were happy. Because they handled things so well my next purchase was awarded to them. That was a PM2 in Maxamet.

As far as I know CPM10V is a favored steel, brown scales on the other hand ummmm might be a problem can't help with poor choices there other than to say RIT Dye could make them black. I have a PM2 in S35VN and will not buy that color of scale or anything close to it again. Now had they done this in O.D. green with such a nice steel it would have been very tempting.

I am also glad to not see yet another M390 or analogues steel yet again it has never impressed me at all. In fact the most impressive steel I have ever come across is Maxamet followed by Cruwear. In Stainless I have yet to see anything that really is more practical and impressive then vernerable VG-10 other than perhaps BUcks 440C.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I got the DLC version OTW, I'm excited to see 10v in something besides the K2 (not that there's anything wrong with it) -- Shaman or Manix2 in either DLC or satin would have been cooler... but this is awesome! :D
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I'm glad REC is offering 10V, but don't understand the issue with scale color? To each his own I suppose.

DLC and satin being sold at the same time is also great. This should double people's chances of getting one.

I'm not convinced I need this more than a K390 PM2 or Para 3. The price is much better, but I've had no experience with 10V, and I love K390. Looks like I'll pass on this one, but it's encouraging to see more non-stainless steels on exclusive runs.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

If this was anything from the manix or native lines, I would have been all over it. On the other hand, this is a good time for me to save money, since I’m off work for a couple weeks.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Picked one up, saw the hints, and thought the release was further out, glad I saw this thread in time, really like the 10V, have a couple custom fixed blades in it and really like those. The went with DLC so it doesn't look exactly like the S35VN one, not a big fan of color scales, but it's about the steel for me, and there's always after market scales, no after market blades though.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If one of the knife-related forum personalities do not anoint it with precious holy hype oil, it will not fly off the shelves. That said, I'm in for one in DLC.

As to color of the scales, if you choose black scales, you are doing it wrong. :D ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I must say, seeing the satin one is making it harder to pass.

I still think I'll pass, but I appreciate the satin option.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

You know I like the way they are doing the sale of this model with a PRESALE jut under 2 weeks out of them receiving the knives and think it is great they are doing this in DLC and Satin.

Most folks preorders are like okay order and ugh yeah we have no idea when but you will eventually get one.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:55 pm
If one of the knife-related forum personalities do not anoint it with precious holy hype oil, it will not fly off the shelves. That said, I'm in for one in DLC.

As to color of the scales, if you choose black scales, you are doing it wrong. :D ;)
REC 10V Coyote PM2, I anoint thee with the holiest of holy hype oils! Rise, RISE o forsaken one! Go forth and divide atoms!!! :D

Good enough? ;) :p

In for a satin one. :cool: :spyder: Those passing on this wonderful tool steel in this platform are really missing out! There's going to be a TON of crying later, I do suspect! :eek:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ordered the Satin one, was kind of a tough decision for me as I really like my manix 2 dark earth/DLC coated blade combo.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I kind of like the look of the DLC version and I don't have anything is 10V. I think I'm still going to pass. I have too many PM2s & Para 3s already along with other models that don't see enough pocket time.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I have the brown satin s35vn version and like it. Was going to buy the dlc version but it ran out and wasn't available anymore. Just ordered this one in dlc. Life has a way of working things out. Don't even know what 10v is but will find out soon. Glad this wasn't an instant sell-out. :spyder:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Whoa, just seeing this... 10v in my favorite model? In for DLC as I already have the K390 satin. Wondering what the HRC is?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:15 am
Now had they done this in O.D. green with such a nice steel it would have been very tempting.

They wouldn't do that because of their OD green 204P exclusive coming up soon. They wanted to make this different.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Got the last uncoated one!

I dont think I will ever even see one of the 204p ones so... I will enjoy my coyote pm2.

Also snagged some lynch clips.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."