Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by JMM »

I am going to have a go at this line-up for some basic sisal rope & cardboard tests...

PM2 10v
Para3 4v
Manix2 Rex45
Para3 K390
Manix2 Cruwear

... I don't really have interest in any other steels at this point so I think that's where I'll stop. I will post up some pics & experiences, my buddy has a K2 that is a better sharpener than I am is going to meet up with me and give me his input on sharpening 10v which I think will help significantly.... he says 10v is easier than s110v or maxamet, but holds a true working edge longer than either -- I can't wait to see, it's been too long for me to have a brand new (to me) steel to play with. :D
TkoK83Spy

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JMM wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 pm
I am going to have a go at this line-up for some basic sisal rope & cardboard tests...

PM2 10v
Para3 4v
Manix2 Rex45
Para3 K390
Manix2 Cruwear

... I don't really have interest in any other steels at this point so I think that's where I'll stop. I will post up some pics & experiences, my buddy has a K2 that is a better sharpener than I am is going to meet up with me and give me his input on sharpening 10v which I think will help significantly.... he says 10v is easier than s110v or maxamet, but holds a true working edge longer than either -- I can't wait to see, it's been too long for me to have a brand new (to me) steel to play with. :D
Nice! That's a great lineup right there. Interested in your feedback on those...may help sway me for some K390 or 10V in the future.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JMM wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 pm

PM2 10v
Para3 4v
Manix2 Rex45
Para3 K390
Manix2 Cruwear

That will be super interesting! Looking forward to seeing what results come up. :spyder:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 pm
My satin 10v is en route ;)
Will be curious to see how it compares to :
K390 P4
KW C.F. M4 PM2
Rex45 Mille
Maxamet PM2

Gonna have some serious cutting and sharpening to do!
Please do some weekly reviews! I'm trying my best lately, but have to admit it's a bit disappointing seeing threads blow up with people saying they got the latest exclusive in such and such steel...then never seeing any reviews or hearing anything about the steel besides pics of a brand new knife.

We'll never learn that way... Not trying to call you out, but those are some amazing knives and don't recall ever seeing a breakdown or review. Your a regular member, talking about using and sharpening...help us all out with some reviews and updates!
Call out accepted!
You're totally right. I will have to do my best to try and give some well formed objective reviews.
Speaking of which, where the heck is Vivi already!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Awesome!! Those are great knives, I look forward to it!

And for real...we need that guy back here! I figured he would be back by now. Hopefully someday!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

kirilpetkov wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 am
https://youtu.be/rDMtUedIUgk
Christy is making me wish I bought a DLC version too! Could only really justify one and I generally go for uncoated blades so satin it is. PM2 is "tacticool" enough already ;) LOL
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My satin 10V PM2 just arrived. Thanks, REC for taking the chance, and thanks Golden for another flawless production.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I'm a fan of the Earth Brown scales of other production models but this Coyote lighter brown is a winner; comparison shot of the Manix /M390 vs the new 10V model :spyder:

W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Mine came today. I put the box in the garage. Will let it sit for a few days, along with the others, to let the Ebola and Chi-vi to die off.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

:) :spyder:

Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Mine came today too. Good overall execution except for a big crack in the scale at the edge of the compression lock :(
Have a call into REC. Probably nothing they can do other than refund which I don't want. Will probably just end up putting some epoxy in the split and clamping it. It will be a user for sure anyway. :)
At least the edge bevels are nice and even!
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Received my DLC version today, I definitely prefer the lighter brown of this one to the darker Brown of the S35VN, still super cool to see a CPM-10V Spyderco, hope they or somebody does a Military also
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:44 pm
Mine came today too. Good overall execution except for a big crack in the scale at the edge of the compression lock :(
Have a call into REC. Probably nothing they can do other than refund which I don't want. Will probably just end up putting some epoxy in the split and clamping it. It will be a user for sure anyway. :)
[im] https://photos.smugmug.com/EDC/i-6FfpGm ... 712-X5.jpg [mg]
You might be surprised! Retailers will sometimes withhold a number of them for this very reason. It's definitely worth calling to see what they can do about an exchange.
-Nick :bug-red
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:17 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:44 pm
[im] https://photos.smugmug.com/EDC/i-6FfpGm ... 712-X5.jpg [mg]
You might be surprised! Retailers will sometimes withhold a number of them for this very reason. It's definitely worth calling to see what they can do about an exchange.

That's what I'm hoping. I've already called as well as sent a pic of the damage. Not really worried. I'm sure it will all work out :)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Awesome specimen! The detent is a lot stronger and crisper than any other PM2 in my possession. About the same as my modded one. Love it!

Color comparison.
Peter
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

anycal wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:48 pm
Awesome specimen! The detent is a lot stronger and crisper than any other PM2 in my possession. About the same as my modded one. Love it!

Color comparison.
You could swap one scale between them and have your very own custom earthtone oddjob!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

patina coming along nicely
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have a small chip in the edge that should sharpen out, if you look directly under the spyder logo you can see it like a black pepper flake
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 am
I have a small chip in the edge that should sharpen out, if you look directly under the spyder logo you can see it like a black pepper flake
Is it a chip or a deformation?