Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by wrdwrght »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:05 am
Ordered the dlc, and I'm pretty excited about it. Having an exclusive in stock for over 24 hours is great for everyone that wants one, but not so great for will power. ;) :o
Ain’t that the truth. When I learned they were offering satin, I held out for 30 seconds. I will remain a disappointment in my wife’s eyes.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ugaarguy

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by ugaarguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 am
What is the minimum?

Originally I had heard 1200, but I know that a couple runs recently have been 400, although they've been part of a larger "series" so maybe there are different rules for that?
I was told 600 by my local dealer. A regular S30v / black G10 PM2 is $216 MSRP, $151 MAP. Based on working for a dealer several years ago, I'd bet that wholesale is $100, if not a bit more. So, 600 pieces at $100 is $60k on the low end, or 1200 pieces at the same price for $120k on the high end. Either way, that's a huge risk for any dealer, particularly a small dealer, since you're tying up that much money on 600 to 1200 identical knives. You can't spread that out across different models and variants from different makers, or even Spyderco alone. Doeswhateveraspidercan's assertion to 'just buy more' doesn't work either. Every extra Z number of pieces (whatever the increments are) ties up another Z times $100+ in capital. Even if it's a popular model, if the dealer gets the steel or the color wrong, they're stuck with hundreds of unpopular knives, rather than a handful of unpopular knives. I think we need to be more understanding of the level of risk that dealers are taking with these exclusive runs.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well poop. 10V would have been good to try.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mstach07 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:09 pm
So let me get this straight, you didn’t order a 10v due to color, make witty comments about how vendors sell their product, threaten to not buy from REC in the future even though you didn’t participate, and then provide your personal assessment of REC process, only to say that complaining on this forum will help make purchasing better for the knife community. Thank you?
Yep. But off by a little bit their main reason was I do not want or need any more Paramilitary 2 Knives.

I would not call it complaining though more like voicing displeasure at the way sales have been handled in the past and figured I was watching another train wreck in the making and then as the site / retailer actually posted what they were doing with the release and how they released it really liked the process.

Sal has said many times that the re-sellers pay close attention to the forums. So if they get feedback they can adjust and make more sales and more happy customers. Rest assured I am far from the only one to as you would put it complain over how sales have been handled especially in the last year.

So not complaining but offering honest feedback and had to amend my earlier comments as the process revealed itself.

Did not order due to model although a different color of scale would have been tempting due to the Steel being used.

Not sure how witty my comments are, but they are blunt and to the point.

My initial assessment was based upon what little information they released on their site and previous sellouts by other retailers, later they provided the terms and conditions of their sale, then it became known they were satisfying the Satin and DLC Crowd alike. We did not see a sell out in minutes it took hours and most people posting were able to obtain one of the knives.

My Assessment continued to evolve with factors as they presented themselves into a very favorable outcome and a very favorable view of this re-seller.

I did not threaten not to buy, but simply stated I would not and will not purchase from any retailer who makes the process un-enjoyable which ruins my fun with this hobby. I will also as a way of rewarding the way they did good business look to purchase from them in the future.

You see I want to reward those who make effort to satisfy the buyer and I do not wish to reward those who make it difficult.

In this way things do not stagnate around a way of doing business that is not only less profitable but less satisfying to the buyer and ultimately can ruin a brand. The only way any of us repeat buyers can influence re-sellers is by buying from them or not.

Real business people understand the power of brand and customer satisfaction with the way they conduct business, they also realize that when 1 person is vocal about how they are conducting sales that there are many more that do as well yet do not speak, and or simply take their business elsewhere, they are the silent majority.

I believe that they way they have handled this sale has earned them a great many happy and loyal customers and say bravo, good job!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:32 pm
I would not call it complaining...
Well, some of us would. :rolleyes:

I don't really see their approach to the sale as being the reason supplies lasted so long. Plenty of other sellers have limited to 1 or 2 per household, let it be known both satin/dlc versions would be coming, announced the sale just beforehand, etc. REC certainly didn't solve the issue by increasing the order size, as they only had 700 of each. Bigger quantities of PM2 exclusives have sold out in way less time.

The slower sell-through here was likely due to a confluence of factors unrelated to how the store ran their sales:
  • Coronavirus economic impact is keeping people from making "frivolous" purchases
  • brown handles generally aren't as popular as far as I can tell (also, it looks extremely similar to the long available Moteng exclusives in brown, so isn't as big of a differentiator)
  • using a steel that isn't the current hotness (I'm not against 10V, just noting it isn't hyped up like other steels.)
  • knowledge that a PVD exclusive is right around the corner
Last edited by jabba359 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 pm

I don't really see their approach to the sale as being the reason supplies lasted so long. Plenty of other sellers have limited to 1 or 2 per household, let it be known both satin/dlc versions would be coming, announced the sale just beforehand, etc. REC certainly didn't solve the issue by increasing the order size, as they only had 700 of each. Bigger quantities of PM2 exclusives have sold out in way less time.

The slower sell-through here was likely due to a confluence of factors unrelated to how the store ran their sales:
  • Coronavirus economic impact is keeping people from making "frivolous" purchases
  • brown handles generally aren't as popular as far as I can tell (also, it looks extremely similar to the long available Moteng exclusives in brown, so isn't as big of a differentiator)
  • using a steel that isn't the current hotness (I'm not against 20CV, just noting it isn't hyped up like other steels. This is also the 4th PM2 variant in the steel)
It's actually CPM 10V. Simliar in composition to K390. To my knowledge this is only the second time Spyderco has ever used the steel.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 pm

• using a steel that isn't the current hotness (I'm not against 20CV, just noting it isn't hyped up like other steels. This is also the 4th PM2 variant in the steel)
These ones were in 10V steel. But your point stands - it's not as well known or hyped recently as k390, which is very similar as I understand it. I also think the last-minute announcement slowed sales a bit. Not as much chance to build the excitement. Still, they sold out in about 24 hours, so I'm sure REC is plenty happy with it, as was I!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I would not call it complaining though more like voicing displeasure ...
Miriam Webster would say you just defined the word complain - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complain

"Definition of complain
intransitive verb

1: to express grief, pain, or discontent"

Voicing displeasure, expressing discontent. Tomayto, Tomahto.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:16 pm
These ones were in 10V steel. But your point stands - it's not as well known or hyped recently as k390, which is very similar as I understand it. I also think the last-minute announcement slowed sales a bit. Not as much chance to build the excitement. Still, they sold out in about 24 hours, so I'm sure REC is plenty happy with it, as was I!
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:06 pm

It's actually CPM 10V. Simliar in composition to K390. To my knowledge this is only the second time Spyderco has ever used the steel.
Whoops! Good catch. Edited my post to the correct steel. I had 20CV on my mind because I was just reading about the Smock sprint. 😉
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Doeswhateveraspidercan

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Miriam Webster would say you just defined the word complain - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complain

"Definition of complain
intransitive verb

You are ignoring context, try reading again. Displeasure was towards the way sales have been done in the past. I enjoyed the way they handled this sale blow by blow as information appeared so no displeasure nor complaints.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm
ugaarguy wrote:

"Definition of complain
intransitive verb

You are ignoring context, try reading again. Displeasure was towards the way sales have been done in the past. I enjoyed the way they handled this sale blow by blow as information appeared so no displeasure nor complaints.
Let me paraphrase you. 'I'm not complaining, I'm voicing displeasure'. You literally defined what is to complain, and admitted to doing it. The irony is hilarious.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Well... that was much quicker than I anticipated :spyder:

And my reading list of responses for this topic just got much shorter (whew) ;)
Last edited by toxophilus on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 pm
ugaarguy wrote:

"Definition of complain
intransitive verb

Let me paraphrase you. 'I'm not complaining, I'm voicing displeasure'. You literally defined what is to complain, and admitted to doing it. The irony is hilarious.
There is a reason his signature line is "I have spoken"

I don't know how any one can judge how a dealer is "handling" sales when everyone has a different product - the knifejoker had that awesome green cruwear shaman and it flew off the shelves - the rex 45 / laminate one was much less popular, but according to doeswhateveraspidercan he probably thinks KC did a better job because it was available longer

I can't wait to see someone do a 10v/k390/m4/rex 45/maxamet shootout!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

toxophilus wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:57 pm
Well... that was much quicker that I anticipated :spyder:

And my reading list of responses for this topic just got much shorter (whew) ;)
I got the same email a few minutes ago myself. I'm pleasantly surprised.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Awesome! I just received mine as well, I paid for expedited/express shipping so I'm curious as to how quickly it arrives, I figured I wouldn't see it until the 2nd or 3rd of April.... WhoooHooo!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I went with the standard shipping, but coming from Ohio to Indiana hopefully won't take too long.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

My satin 10v is en route ;)
Will be curious to see how it compares to :
K390 P4
KW C.F. M4 PM2
Rex45 Mille
Maxamet PM2

Gonna have some serious cutting and sharpening to do!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Mines on the way to Florida I chose free shipping. Didn't expect it for another week or so, cant wait to see it
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 pm
My satin 10v is en route ;)
Will be curious to see how it compares to :
K390 P4
KW C.F. M4 PM2
Rex45 Mille
Maxamet PM2

Gonna have some serious cutting and sharpening to do!
Please do some weekly reviews! I'm trying my best lately, but have to admit it's a bit disappointing seeing threads blow up with people saying they got the latest exclusive in such and such steel...then never seeing any reviews or hearing anything about the steel besides pics of a brand new knife.

We'll never learn that way... Not trying to call you out, but those are some amazing knives and don't recall ever seeing a breakdown or review. Your a regular member, talking about using and sharpening...help us all out with some reviews and updates!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:13 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 pm
ugaarguy wrote:

"Definition of complain
intransitive verb

There is a reason his signature line is "I have spoken"

I don't know how any one can judge how a dealer is "handling" sales when everyone has a different product - the knifejoker had that awesome green cruwear shaman and it flew off the shelves - the rex 45 / laminate one was much less popular, but according to doeswhateveraspidercan he probably thinks KC did a better job because it was available longer

I can't wait to see someone do a 10v/k390/m4/rex 45/maxamet shootout!
I have spoken!