Ideal Spyderco Knives For Lawn, Garden & Landscaping Jobs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Ideal Spyderco Knives For Lawn, Garden & Landscaping Jobs?

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:35 am
bearrowland wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm
I do indeed JD! YouTube titled "Perfect Knife for the Farmer: Spyderco PM3 for EDC". It's in English and is really enjoyable! This is a plain edge, and he puts it to work!
Thanks "bearrowland" I'll certainly check it out later today. Like I've said for the past year if Spyderco would start listing some of their Salt Series and other key knives in gardening catalogs like "A. M. Leonard" or a couple of others I could mention I do believe that they would have a hard time keeping many of those knives in stock once people in gardening, lawn & landscaping and other outdoor jobs catch on to how great they are in those types of jobs.
https://youtu.be/Ut4EKyKrFSQ#menu
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:18 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 am
I like to use the right tool for the job and a knife often isn’t the right tool for yard work but this summer the Pac’ Salt in SE is always in my pocket and it’s perfect in that role for smaller stuff. It’s tough, I know it will continue to cut, even if roughly, after abuse, it’s easy to clean and easy to put an edge on. Works for me
Exactly David!

If it wasn't for using the wrong tool for the job I'm not sure what I'd use a knife for a lot of times. I have my limits, I don't use them to scrape gaskets of car parts or as prying tools but if it can be cut without destroying the knife then it's a good excuse to use my knife and usually a learning experience.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
I like to use the right tool for the job
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 am
Tims wrote:
I try to use the tool, not be the tool :D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 am
Tims wrote:
Weird flex but aiight lol.

On topic, I like my S90V Millie for yardwork, big slicee edge-holding and corrosion resistant.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Lol, nice one Bloke, that’s hilarious! :D

JD, these are usually the knives that get used for gardening and yard work:

Mostly these three:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm finding it interesting and encouraging that so many use far more standard models for Horticultural uses. Because for a while back around 4 years ago many people were reporting how nice serrated Hawkbills were for lawn, garden and other uses. It's only been in the past couple of years I've discovered how useful those RESCUE Type models are for those types of uses.

Serrated Hawkbills are just one of several models that are great for work in the garden. Also this is where I think that a fixed blade SE Hawkbill would come in so very handy.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Although the Province won't necessarily be used for lawn maintenance, I do plan on using it in the backyard fire prepping and hiking. The CS Kukri and beloved Spyderhawk will be my main tools for yard work. If I'm in the yard the Spyderhawk is in my pocket. I find myself fiddling around the rose bushes and the weeping cherry tree pruning and shaping. Little flick of the wrist and whatever unruly limb is decapitated. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
benben

Post by benben »

Wanted to revisit this thread, for the last two days me and my son have been clearing 125 feet of fence line that backs up to woods. We cleaned a 6 foot path on the outside to be able to mow or just walk on the outside of the fence line. Roughly half of this fence was just choked with vines, you couldn't even see the fence!

We had a chainsaw, a string trimmer, an axe, a Cold Steel heavy machete, a long handled pole pruner, a Stihl pruning saw, two different loppers.......and a serrated Pacific Salt, and used every single one of these tools!

If that Pac Salt would have cost me $300.00 if would have paid for itself over the last two days! I used a string trimmer up and down the fence to remove the vines, but at the base of the fence it was just overrun with pencil sized or larger vines that the trimmer just couldn't do anything with, and this is the size vines you just can't pull up by hand. But with just one firm thrust with this knife and she cut those vines like they were a piece of string! I carry and use this knife everyday, and I'm impressed with it everyday, but I've never used it like I did the last two days, it's a workhorse!

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I can't recommend this knife enough for someone who's going to use a knife hard and not worry about what it looks like afterwards, cause it was nasty! It's sitting on my office desk right now and it's still nasty!

Thank you Sal & Eric for putting tools in our hands that work! Got to give some thanks to Lance also on this one! :D
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I just grab either a Native LW, Delica or an Endura. This is one instance where I wish I has a SE knife, I don't. I guess a Native LW SE would be perfect.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:03 am

We had a chainsaw, a string trimmer, an axe, a Cold Steel heavy machete, a long handled pole pruner, a Stihl pruning saw, two different loppers.......and a serrated Pacific Salt, and used every single one of these tools!

If that Pac Salt would have cost me $300.00 if would have paid for itself over the last two days! I used a string trimmer up and down the fence to remove the vines, but at the base of the fence it was just overrun with pencil sized or larger vines that the trimmer just couldn't do anything with, and this is the size vines you just can't pull up by hand. But with just one firm thrust with this knife and she cut those vines like they were a piece of string! I carry and use this knife everyday, and I'm impressed with it everyday, but I've never used it like I did the last two days, it's a workhorse!
The knives in the Salt Series are intended for hard use. And I've never used any knife out of the Salt Series that disappointed me. I'm serious when I've said that if a really well known lawn & Garden catalog like A. M. Leonard were to put salt series knives in their catalog they would continually sell out. They should start out with maybe two or three of the better known models and let it take off from there.

This is also a great reason to bring back the SPYDERHAWK model.
benben

Post by benben »

dreadpirate wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 am
I just grab either a Native LW, Delica or an Endura. This is one instance where I wish I has a SE knife, I don't. I guess a Native LW SE would be perfect.
I don't have an Endura, I do plan on getting one of the new K390 models. I do own the other two and they couldn't touch what that Pac Salt did to those vines, not even close! I fought the serrated edge thing for years, just didn't want to fool with sharpening one, I was just flat out wrong, should have bought this knife years ago!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 am
At the very least, how about a glow-in-the dark Spyderhawk sprint like the delica/endura's but instead of the black splotches make it orange? Maybe even in LC200N?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Bloke, I love your humor!! 😂😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

benben wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:20 am
I fought the serrated edge thing for years, just didn't want to fool with sharpening one, I was just flat out wrong, should have bought this knife years ago!
Yes - same here!!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

A Salt model might be good - but - I don't find landscaping as corrosive as marine use. I think the Salt is for the fishing tackle.
benben

Post by benben »

dreadpirate wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 am
A Salt model might be good - but - I don't find landscaping as corrosive as marine use. I think the Salt is for the fishing tackle.
I completely agree, corrosion aside, landscaping (dirt) just wrecks the edge much quicker on most "normal" knives!
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Spydercos I use when doing yard work are my SE Pac Salt, SE Atlantic Salt, or SE Tasman Salt. I don’t choose them because of the corrosion issue, but because they get all scratched to ****, and I don’t care. The Salts aren’t only for going into the water, they’re useful in all sorts of situations. And IMO, the SE is great for yard work.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:28 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 am
At the very least, how about a glow-in-the dark Spyderhawk sprint like the delica/endura's but instead of the black splotches make it orange? Maybe even in LC200N?
Yes I wish they would re-make the Spyderhawk in LC200N. The glow in the dark handle would be OK with me. I actually like the nuclear colored handles because it makes them so easy to find if you misplace one. FRN handles are great for lawn and garden chores because it's an easy material to clean. I would also recommend a sheath and/or holster>> it would make it easier to keep track of. It is so easy to misplace tools of any type doing lawn, garden & landscaping work.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dreadpirate wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 am
If you ever use any of the Salt Series for lawn, garden and landscaping work I believe you will change your mind. It's not so much the corrosion factor but it's just the fact that the Salt Series knives are meant for hard use.

But I will agree with you that all of the Salt Series knives are great for fishing, hunting and backpacking.