Behold the Combo Edge Sliverax!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Behold the Combo Edge Sliverax!

Post by Evil D »

Well lets just say it didn't turn out quite like I had pictured in my mind. However, it performs EXACTLY how I imagined having CE in that area. The heel of the blade is still plenty big enough for carving, it still has enough PE at the tip for detailed cuts, and nothing can slip off the blade without getting caught by the SE section and cut aggressively. IMO this needs to be a production option, though maybe on a a model that will look a bit less bucktoothed. I also think if Spyderco did the serrations themselves they would be less deep into the blade and the resulting edge profile wouldn't look so weird.

The work was done by Willey Knives http://store.willeyknives.com/ While the serrations themselves could maybe be done a bit cleaner (that first one is a bit wonky looking), this cost me a whole $5 to have done so I'm not at all unhappy with the results. I have 3 Sliverax's so I figured it was a safe model to experiment with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JMM

Re: Behold the Combo Edge Sliverax!

Post by JMM »

That's absolutely awesome! I have a couple knives that I would definitely like to have this done on... thanks for sharing!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I really like the looks of this. It seems very practical to me.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Well, that's something.
I can't say I like it, but also i don't dislike it.
Congratulations for actually have it done.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Love it, and I hope Spyderco takes notice of the placement for future CE’s!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think it's an awesome idea, although I agree it looks a bit odd on the sliverax. Then again I'm not used to that configuration, so maybe it'd look normal after a while. It does make me want to pull out my sliverax, though!
Last edited by JuPaul on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes!

This combo edge configuration is so much more practical in my opinion. Love it David! :cool:

I really hope Spyderco gives it a try.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This needs to be done on a PE Caribbean as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:07 pm
....It does make me want to pull out my sliverax, though!
I carried mine yesterday and again today. I was on the fence about buying the Sliverax at first. I can honestly say that if I had to get rid of all my knives the Sliverax would be one of the last ones to go.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

At first I had to laugh because it looks funny but it didn't take long to warm up to it. The location of the serrations plus the Spyderhole give the blade so much "character!" Kind of like a Mako shark with an overbite! :D

I actually like it a lot though and would definitely be interested in trying out a blade with this type of combo edge. In concept, and apparently practice, it's a great idea and I commend you for actually pulling the trigger on it. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Love a combo blade, the practicality of the serrations placement can not be missed.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Makes me think about a combo edge reverse-s edge, with serrations for pull cuts and PE for push cuts...
—Daniel Jackson
Monty

Post by Monty »

Yes yes yes! I haven't tried mid-blade serrations on a Spyderco yet but I did dremel some in on a walmart knife for light testing. The only reason I haven't pursued it further is I'm not sure I prefer a combo edge over full serrations. This was my attempt at a photoshop of an Endura I posted a while back.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Monty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:45 am
Yes yes yes! I haven't tried mid-blade serrations on a Spyderco yet but I did dremel some in on a walmart knife for light testing. The only reason I haven't pursued it further is I'm not sure I prefer a combo edge over full serrations. This was my attempt at a photoshop of an Endura I posted a while back.

I did this one years ago and I've been talking about having one made forever. I still think it makes more sense on a longer blade but since I had 3 Sliveraxes I figured I'd risk one of them.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that starting with a knife with a V edge sort of requires grinding the serrations a tad deeper unfortunately.

I will say that dealing with Wiley Knives was great and when the knife arrived it was about as sharp as a knife could possibly be. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

That's pretty cool for $5. Looks useful
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Monty

Post by Monty »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:04 am

I did this one years ago and I've been talking about having one made forever. I still think it makes more sense on a longer blade but since I had 3 Sliveraxes I figured I'd risk one of them.

[/quote]

I agree, it makes more sense on a longer blade. I believe the Police at one time was offered in front serrations although I've never found one.