I don’t always carry a Back Lock...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: I don’t always carry a Back Lock...

Post by Wartstein »

I am lucky in that even if not considering what locktype they feature, the knives I actually like to carry the most (concerning the sum of functionality, uitility, size in pocket, weight, edge length and so on) just happen to have the locktype I came to like the most over the years (backlock) too. :)

Or in other words:
If the great Endura came with a comp. lock (and no longer with a backlock), would I still carry it? Sure!
Would I still prefer it with a backlock? Yes.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like most of you I have locking systems on folders that I like better than others. However I have never had any type of locking system on any Spyderco knife ever fail me or malfunction. I've been using dry lubes on most of my folder locks in the past year and it seems to be a great way to keep them functioning.

I"m not sure what other locking systems you could use on Spyderco's Hawkbills without catapulting the price.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it's usually a Dragonfly. I only have a few back lock models and it's more the models themselves that don't get carried than the lock itself. If they made a back lock Caribbean I'd most likely carry it over the compression lock version as my work knife because I find the back lock easier to operate with gloves on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:40 am
If they made a back lock Caribbean I'd most likely carry it over the compression lock version as my work knife because I find the back lock easier to operate with gloves on.
Backlock Caribbean would be like 😍😍

I carry backlock everyday. My every Spyderco is a backlock. Yes, I am in the backlock brigade.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 am
Evil D wrote:
If they made a back lock Caribbean I'd most likely carry it over the compression lock version as my work knife because I find the back lock easier to operate with gloves on.

+1

I even started a poll a about this very topic some time ago: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84657 (and the last post so far there is by YOU :D )

And I hope the Rock Jumper will be kind of a "Lil backlock Caribbean".. :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:20 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 am
Evil D wrote:

+1

I even started a poll a about this very topic some time ago: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84657 (and the last post so far there is by YOU :D )

And I hope the Rock Jumper will be kind of a "Lil backlock Caribbean".. :rolleyes:
Just a few months ago the Caribbean was my favorite and most carried Spyderco. In use, that probably still stands but for carrying it around I lost confidence in it, mine has such a weak detent it can't (IMO) be safely carried IWB in board shorts. I believe there was talk of a slightly longer blade XL Caribbean. Give me that with a backlock and I'd be very happy.
Ric

Post by Ric »

If no CL but BL it's a Dragonfly.
I would love having a Lil Native backlock in Rex45 - bit it's not available.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 pm
I would love having a Lil Native backlock in Rex45 - bit it's not available.
Yeah, me too. This is why I’m not buying the new Sprint...it’s not a backlock. I’m still tempted buy it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I never thought backlocks would be anywhere near the top of my list. It just so happened that the vast majority of my knives, almost all, have them. Go figure.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'm kidding!

The backlock is probably my favorite lock right now for many reasons, but every lock has its positives and negatives. I'm glad Spyderco has options for everyone :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I confess to chasing the new hotness in locks for a while, meanwhile the backlock was just quietly getting it done. There’s a lot to like about them. Backlocks I have include a Damascus and stag Buck 110, I’m not sure how many delicas, a Salt 2, and some dragonflies.

I plan to acquire an Endura and a Pacific Salt 2 or perhaps an Atlantic Salt. The Spyderco mid/back lock is really pretty awesome. Better than other brands by far.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Spyderco back lock is one of the best out there to be sure, but it still isn't as good as Cold Steel's TriAd lock. I wish Spyderco would at least incorporate a stop pin in their backlocks. That would eliminate my biggest complaint with backlocks - vertical blade play. My Cold Steel Voyager has none but every single Spyderco backlock I own (including the Native 5) has it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 am
The Spyderco back lock is one of the best out there to be sure, but it still isn't as good as Cold Steel's TriAd lock. I wish Spyderco would at least incorporate a stop pin in their backlocks.
At least one - Chaparral has a internal stop pin.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Meat man wrote:
The Spyderco back lock is one of the best out there to be sure, but it still isn't as good as Cold Steel's TriAd lock. I wish Spyderco would at least incorporate a stop pin in their backlocks. That would eliminate my biggest complaint with backlocks - vertical blade play. My Cold Steel Voyager has none but every single Spyderco backlock I own (including the Native 5) has it.

I love the Triad Lock, but very rarely carry my Cold Steels. They have no thumb hole or ergos. I don't let the up-down play bug me, but I'd love a Spyderco with a Triad. I love the security of it more than the solidity. Regardless, I still love a Spyderco back lock above all else I carry. Ambidextrous, easy to close one handed, solid, I love the Boye dent for feel without looking, it's very familiar, and I don't fumble it at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Back locks are the most comfortable knives for me to use, with the smooth top surface devoid of the annoying cutout like the comp lock. Easy to unlock, works left or right handed, plenty strong for most every use. That said, I don't overlook knives based on the lock alone like I used to in the past. Once you get used to using a slip joint, any lock is more than enough.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The Meat man wrote: The Spyderco back lock is one of the best out there to be sure, but it still isn't as good as Cold Steel's TriAd lock. I wish Spyderco would at least incorporate a stop pin in their backlocks. That would eliminate my biggest complaint with backlocks - vertical blade play. My Cold Steel Voyager has none but every single Spyderco backlock I own (including the Native 5) has it.
In use, specifically in disengaging the lock, I find spydercos backlocks to be much better than the triad lock. I love the design of the triad lock in theory, but in application I dont feel Im gaining anything.

Also there is a difference between lock rock, which my endura definitely has, and a fraction of a millimeter of movement based on tolerances, which is the category the golden models are in.

I also know how many people are going to tell me this is impossible but I will say it anyway. I have two triad lock knives and both have that fraction of a millimeter of vertical blade play even after a hard solid lockup. This just comes down to tolerances of pins/cutouts/blade and lockbar cutout, and the pivot, etc.

From my experience I will take a golden made backlock over any other version of that lock from any other company on the market.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 am
Back locks are the most comfortable knives for me to use, with the smooth top surface devoid of the annoying cutout like the comp lock.

Good point. The cutout, especially on the comp locks, is very annoying when actually doing hard cuts with the palm digging in there. I don't like it at all. Especially how it narrows to one liner for a bit. Hard on the hand.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Bought a Stretch 2 to try V-Toku... Then an Endura, Delica and a Matriarch.

Through the process I have found I like finger choil on the blade and back locks. Waiting to buy a police frn as soon as I get pissed trying to by sprint runs. Very happy with spyderco back locks vs other brands, no issues with the lock becoming stiff with time. Stiff back locks is the main reason I tried liner locks... Liner locks eating my leather and rubber gloves at work made me try compression locks... Some how my Stretch 2 is my favorite work knife, even with the 15 degree edge I put on...

Big part of buying a useful knife for me is the lock then the design.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 am
Back locks are the most comfortable knives for me to use, with the smooth top surface devoid of the annoying cutout like the comp lock. Easy to unlock, works left or right handed, plenty strong for most every use. That said, I don't overlook knives based on the lock alone like I used to in the past. Once you get used to using a slip joint, any lock is more than enough.

Not only the smooth top surface, but also just the closed back construction all backlock knives feature is more comfortable than the open backs many folders with different lock types have. Of course though that only is potentially an issue if one uses a folder over really extended periods of time, which most people don´t (including myself, or at least just very rarely)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 am
The Meat man wrote:

I love the Triad Lock, but very rarely carry my Cold Steels. They have no thumb hole or ergos. I don't let the up-down play bug me, but I'd love a Spyderco with a Triad. I love the security of it more than the solidity. Regardless, I still love a Spyderco back lock above all else I carry. Ambidextrous, easy to close one handed, solid, I love the Boye dent for feel without looking, it's very familiar, and I don't fumble it at all.
I've gotten more or less used to a bit of up-and-down play in backlocks but I still think of it at times especially when really bearing down in a cut. I've batoned mercilessly with the Voyager and no lock rock or blade play at all.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"