Anyone ever gotten a magnetized knife before?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yowzer

Anyone ever gotten a magnetized knife before?

Post by yowzer »

I just opened up a new hap40 Endura, and there's metal filings stuck to the blade. Other knives stick to it. It's going to damage my credit card twice over...

This is a new one for me. :confused:
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
The Meat man

Re: Anyone ever gotten a magnetized knife before?

Post by The Meat man »

Pretty much every knife steel has the potential to become magnetized (including H-1). All it takes is contact with a magnet. I'd guess that's what happened with your Endura. It's nothing to worry about.

I use a guided sharpening system that fixes the knife in place via magnetism, so all my knives are slightly magnetic. It doesn't cause me any major issues, and I work in a metal fabricating shop where dust and swarf are everywhere. I just brush off the particles when I notice them sticking to the blade.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Yes, I've had several. If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the heat treatment. Maybe Larrin can give us specifics.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm
I use a guided sharpening system that fixes the knife in place via magnetism, so all my knives are slightly magnetic. It doesn't cause me any major issues, and I work in a metal fabricating shop where dust and swarf are everywhere. I just brush off the particles when I notice them sticking to the blade.
Magnetized blades shouldn't bother me but for some reason it does. So I de-magnetize them after I'm done sharpening on the Hapstone.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Holland

Post by Holland »

My hap40 stretch is the same. Caught me by surprised when I first got it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
attila

Post by attila »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:29 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm
Magnetized blades shouldn't bother me but for some reason it does. So I de-magnetize them after I'm done sharpening on the Hapstone.
How do you demagnetize? I‘ve been wondering if a degausser can be built DIY due to my Crucarta’s blade being quite strongly magnetized.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have magnetized the blade during heavy reprofiling and had metal shavings collect on the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 2.50.08 PM.png
Classic device as long as your blade fits inside the holes. 4 USD at a popular big box hardware store. There are more with an open ended design for upwards of 100USD
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mike Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 2.50.08 PM.png

Classic device as long as your blade fits inside the holes. 4 USD at a popular big box hardware store. There are more with an open ended design for upwards of 100USD
I've had one of those in my toolbox for years. They don't work very well IMO, especially for bigger blades.
attila wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:26 pm
How do you demagnetize? I‘ve been wondering if a degausser can be built DIY due to my Crucarta’s blade being quite strongly magnetized.
I have a variety of magnets but I find this little cylinder works best. The diameter is about the size of a quarter. One end is positive and the other negative. I pass the blade over the middle of the cylinder several times without letting it touch. It takes a little practice works well once you get it. I do it until the blade will no longer pick up a small paper clip.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Y'know, boys and girls... you can turn an old AC motor into a demagnetizer. You pull out the rotor and cut out the frame, and voilà, you have a demagnetizer. Another option is a little motor like might be in your bathroom exhaust fan. They're smaller, but should work nicely on a knife blade. Check out Youtube for instructional videos. It's not a big deal to make one.