K390 Shaman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: K390 Shaman?

Post by JMM »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 pm
K390 Blue Denim Micarta Shaman. Make it and they WILL come!!!
Most definitely! Sign me up for a Shaman & Manix2 in that configuration, with an option for DLC, and a P4-LW in K390/Dark Blue FRN, Ohhhh yes, please!
sal

Post by sal »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm
The upcoming K390 Seki line was slow to become a reality, since there was a shortage of K390 last year. I wonder if it's generally not made in large quantities, or maybe it was just bad timing. Maybe 10V is the same? It might explain the limited releases.
Hi Albatross,

In reality, I spent almost two years preparing the the Endura family in K390.

First I had to get the steel, make a mule team and gauge reaction. Then I had to work with our Seki maker for a year to get him to grind the steel and heat treat the way I wanted. There were a number of failures. Then I had to test the steel in a model to see market reaction. ( Police 4 in G-10, I had to create a new design )Then I had to make sure he could and would accept the order. (I also had to fend off an exclusive customer that wanted the project after I'd already been working on it for years). Then we had to wait for the foundry to make the steel, Which wasn't a big seller for them.

Far slower and far more work than you may have thought.

Next question, Any interest in an FRN Shaman in K390?

Also, Albatross, If we were to make a byrd model called the Albatross, what should it be?

sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

FRN shaman? K390? :eek: :D

Sal, I very much appreciate your efforts bringing the Police4 K390 to market and will be buying every K390 Seki model I can :)
DrVenkman

Post by DrVenkman »

Sal,

I just need to say thank you for being so transparent with us about the process of bringing a knife to market. I cannot wait to get my hands on a shaman in K390 or the endura in k390. Thank you for all you do for us.

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Albatross wrote:
The upcoming K390 Seki line was slow to become a reality, since there was a shortage of K390 last year. I wonder if it's generally not made in large quantities, or maybe it was just bad timing. Maybe 10V is the same? It might explain the limited releases.
Hi Albatross,

First I had to get the steel, make a mule team and gauge reaction. Then I had to work with our Seki maker for a year to get him to grind the steel and heat treat the way I wanted. There were a number of failures. Then I had to test the steel in a model to see market reaction. ( Police 4 in G-10, I had to create a new design )Then I had to make sure he could and would accept the order. (I also had to fend off an exclusive customer that wanted the project after I'd already been working on it for years). Then we had to wait for the foundry to make the steel, Which wasn't a big seller for them.

Also, Albatross, If we were to make a byrd model called the Albatross, what should it be?

sal
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

An FRN Shaman in K390? Could be something there, especially if it is a regular production model. You certainly have my attention there sal :D
Justin :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would much rather have the FRN Caribbean idea, than the Shaman.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No thanks to an frn Shaman. A knife of that beefy stature always deserves higher end scale materials. The plasticish feel on that knife just wouldn't seem right, at least to me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd take any Shaman in K390, but I'd really like one with a smooth micarta handle - maybe dark green.
--Jeremy
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:
I'd buy that.
sal

Post by sal »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi Guy,

That's the plan.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be down for FRN shaman scales if a big part of the cost is the contour machining. Seki or Taichung FRN though, please.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Excellent! Decided the grip pattern yet? Moving it to Golden or staying in Taichung? You can count on my purchase, whatever the choices. It's a glorious design, you really outdid yourself.

I'm sending my Caribbean off for a major regrind tomorrow, hopefully it will be done in time for Bladeshow. Provided that doesn't get canceled. It's going to be interesting.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Hi Guy,

That's the plan.

sal
Epic woods knife right there.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

blendergasket wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:40 pm
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Hi Guy,

That's the plan.

sal
Maybe that's the rumored CQI!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:58 pm
blendergasket wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:40 pm
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Hi Guy,

That's the plan.

sal
Maybe that's the rumored CQI!
It'll probably be it's own model. CQIs usually address smaller issues. Higher grit finish on the liners would be my guess for the CQI.

-Thomas Jefferson
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

sal wrote:
Albatross wrote:
Hi Albatross,

sal
Holy smokes! FRN Shaman? Uhh, ya! A very big yes! P.S. Sooo, hoping for a K390 Delica Wharnie...just sayin Sal. :)
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:02 pm
I'd take any Shaman in K390, but I'd really like one with a smooth micarta handle - maybe dark green.
Yea, agree here. Micarta would be a winner.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I’d buy an frn shaman if the scales are contoured the way the standard shaman is. For me, the shaman has the most comfortable handle of any folder I’ve tried. K390 is a major selling point no matter what. It was enough to convince me to buy and use a PM2, after all ;) .
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
sal

Post by sal »

speedseeker wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 pm
Holy smokes! FRN Shaman? Uhh, ya! A very big yes! P.S. Sooo, hoping for a K390 Delica Wharnie...just sayin Sal. :)

Hi Speedseeker,

That's in the plan.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Funny, when I first saw the Shaman, I remember saying I'd rather have a lightweight/frn version. Now that I've fallen in love with the Shaman as it is (with g10, micarta, etc), it's hard for me to imagine it with frn scales. But who am I kidding, if Spyderco makes an frn Shaman, I'll get one. How about some color on those scales, though!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.