The Michael Christy Way Of Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: The Michael Christy Way Of Sharpening

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 pm
I thought to do a video on the new "Swicks", just because I'd like to arm the women of the world...
:D Word. :spyder:

Nice impression Blues, I cracked up laughing reading that.

Michael makes quality videos though. I started practicing that handheld method after watching his material.

I usually use the Venev OCB bonded diamond pocket stones, the Doublestuff 2, and a piece of broken Sharpmaker UF rod held between thumb and forefinger to finish with.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as another that couldn't help but read that in his voice. He's got some serious talent, I've tried his ways in my own variations and have seen some pretty great results. Practice practice practice...just don't tell Allen Iverson that :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

https://youtu.be/a6ibhLbDH1c

As he explains this is a more simple method. Spine to edge edge to spine.

Does not really get more simple than that.

Not trying to be a jerk but when both hands are involved the brain kicks in and helps.

Tonight by mistake I caught myself moving my left hand the one holding the Shapton glass stone while the right hand holding the knife remained stationary.

There is something about aligning the teeth spine to edge versus many systems heel to tip and tip to heel strokes, the guy is on to something and for goodness sakes I am far from a perfect freehand sharpener but I have Maxamet destroying cardboard only using a 1000 grit and 6000 grit Shapton glass stones.

Look at a factory blade always with out exception Spine to edge.
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Recently subscribed to his channel. Valuable information for those of us that want to learn freehand. I'm hopeful he will continue sharing his experiences. Thank You Michael Christy.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I enjoy his videos very much, and have turned everyone I know who is curious about sharpening, or already hand sharpens, on to his videos. I hope he makes his videos for a long time to come.

u.w.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Michael Christy is the primary reason I became interested in (obsessed with) sharpening. He presents the hobby in an interesting light. Earnest, deliberate, and intriguing. I emulated his technique and becoming proficient at it was very rewarding.

The technique has pros and cons, but stone in hand offers a ton of control (counter intuitively to some) and being able to see the apex contacting the stone allows for high levels of precision, and helps achieve high levels of sharpness in folding knives.

Would recommend to anyone.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Stone on the table, side to side works way better for me. No back and forth, just slicing forward strokes.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Hi, I have seen a few guys on the internet and Christy himself saying "spine to edge, edge to spine." This is how he sharpens. What does this mean, "edge to spine, spine to edge?"
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Erich:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Erich wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:25 pm
Hi, I have seen a few guys on the internet and Christy himself saying "spine to edge, edge to spine." This is how he sharpens. What does this mean, "edge to spine, spine to edge?"
Means back and forth. First edge leading (edge to spine), then edge trailing (spine to edge).

I dont know about the other youtubers, but what I gather from this thread is that what Christy does is different from how many people sharpen. He keeps the edge completely perpendicular to the stone (the scratch pattern would look like straight lines perpendicular to the edge, much like a factory grind). A lot of people don't hold their blades completely perpendicular for a number of reasons, one of which being having it slightly angled in relation to the stone makes it easier to maintain a consistent edge angle. When it's perpendicular as you go back and forth, unless you have a very steady hand you will convex your edge. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you have a big wobble in the wrong direction you could potentially lose some performance because of the greater angle.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Erich

Post by Erich »

Thanks, Michael.

ZROWSn1S,

I see. Yes, my problem is that I "convex" the edge when I sharpen free handed as I find it impossible to keep my angle consistent enough through the pass across the stone to have a perfectly angled edge, and with a convexed edge I simply don't have the same edge retention. I just put $300 + into an Edge Pro yesterday, so my freehanding days are numbered. Regardless I don't think Michael Christy always did the "spine to edge" back and forth passes, he has these old videos:

https://youtu.be/Eqjsdp7dyyc
https://youtu.be/ZpJaUGmS0rw

Here it looks like he is "normally sharpening" and doing sweeping passes while trying to keep his angle as consistent as possible by looking directly at where the angle mates to the stone during the pass. That's what I've been doing and I can never come close to hair whittling like him, which is what I want to do. I think he must reach a certain level of sharpness on the stones and then gets his hair whittling from the strops.

Anyway eventually he went over to this "spine to edge" technique where he has the stone in his palm and he sweeps the knife up and down very quickly as if he is grinding out a burr. I can see the stone shifting in his hand while he is doing this and it doesn't seem possible to have a consistent angle during such intense passes because of how everything is moving. He doesn't even really seem to be monitoring the edge's contact with the stone at this point. Does he get his hair whittling entirely from the strops? I guess ultimately my questions is - how does he do it?