Lil Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Lil Manix

Post by DougC-3 »

I haven't really checked it out, but hasn't the Para 3 set some kind of sales records? at least for the length of time it's been around? Maybe a number-of- different-models for length of time in production record too... so I'm sure there's something good about it ;) I still don't have a lightweight one and am looking forward to trying one out.

The Q Ball is a tank all right, and a good compact heavy duty wharnie, but it doesn't have quite the magical ergos of the Manix and, for me, the Dodo.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

More cbbl everything
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DougC-3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:14 pm
I haven't really checked it out, but hasn't the Para 3 set some kind of sales records? at least for the length of time it's been around? Maybe a number-of- different-models for length of time in production record too... so I'm sure there's something good about it ;) I still don't have a lightweight one and am looking forward to trying one out.
MichaelScott wrote: @wartstein Sharp Guy makes good points. Also I might refer you to some reputable reviewers like Nick Shabazz or the late Boy Scout and their take on how the Para 3 differs from the Para Military 2.
Sharp Guy wrote: @Wartstein....one thing you need to consider is that we all have different hand sizes. The Para 3 fits my hand perfectly. There are plenty of other great choices for those that find the handle on the Para 3 to be less than optimal. PM2, Sage series, Natives etc. Telling the world every chance you get that the Para 3 is poor design isn't helpful to a lot people (like myself) who might find the Para 3 handle to be perfect for them. "Crazy thick" blade is a bit ridiculous too. I like thinner blade stock too but I've never had any issues cutting anything with a Para 3 or any other knife with similar blade thickness.

As far as Spyderco making a Lil' Manix that's not actually smaller, what would be the point of that?
My friends, sometimes I am a bit afraid that my English is not sufficient enough to transport exactly what I mean (honestly!)

Don´t I ALWAYS emphasize that the Para 3 is a cool knife? And that just for somewhat larger hands the grip on the actual handle is not shaped ideally (so large and above hands have to choke up despite a generally long handle)? Didn´t I always make clear, that I am just sharing personal, subjective thoughts and discussing the knife brand I love, which naturally still has some models I like more than others?

Even in my own last post here, the one you are referring to I said literally (quoting myself) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86133&start=40#p1416790):
"...as one who does not consider the Para 3 as one of Spydercos best designs: Sure it is still a cool knife, and it could very well be ME who is missing something - exactly because so many others love the design! (And I certainly still take it over most small folders of other brands)..."

Literally: "Cool knife"..."still would take it over most small folders of other brands"... "it could very well be ME who is missing something" (concerning the Para 3) - and I frequently make clear that I am happy for all of those who like that model, I am not telling anybody that they should abandone the Para 3 and switch to the options in Spydercos lineup I personally find to be even better designed...

"Crazy thick blade": Maybe a too extreme term in English, right, sorry for that!
Still: Are you aware of any rather popular small EDC folder by Spyderco that has such a thick blade stock? Sure you still can cut well with it! But for me it does not fully represent Spydercos "form follows function" approach, cause the thick stock in that particular blade shape (fine tip) has no advantage I can see other than that is is more comfortable to put the finger on the spine. Imho it just somewhat hinders performance in almost any small knife task. (It is about 25 % thicker than the strong Sage blade, about 45 % thicker than the still strong enough Delica and about 85 % thicker than a Chap, which I personally find strong enough in my daily use) - I personally (!) feel like it would have been better to go the Endura / Delica way when "shrinking" the PM2 to a Para 3 (The Delica is a smaller Endura, but they also gave it thinner stock)

So, long story short and once more:
I have NOTHING against the Para 3. I think it is a cool little knife, and still a good choice if one is looking for a small EDC folder. I myself would take it over almost any small knife of another brand. I just do think, that Spyderco has even better options in that size range, in the sense of even more optimized for a small folder and fitting a wider range of hand sizes.

Why did I discuss it here? Just as an example for that a Lil Manix (Roughly Manix 2 shape, but smaller) too could be a knife that only works in a choked up grip for larger hands.
So: If the Manix gets shrunken: It has to be considered WHAT one wants to keep:
1.) The overall shape of the handle by looks: That would leave a too short grip area behind the choil for many, but sure you´d have a true Lil Manix visually
2.) The virtue of the Manix 2 to offer two perfect grip options (choked up and behind the choil): That would require to just shape the end of the handle differently in a Lil Manix (flared out, no "hook"): That certainly would LOOK less like a smaller Manix 2, but on the flipside would preserve the VIRTUE of the Manix to offer two good grip options even for larger hands...
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat May 02, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:00 pm

As far as Spyderco making a Lil' Manix that's not actually smaller, what would be the point of that?
If Spyderco makes a "smaller Manix" it has to be considered what one wants to emphasize in doing so:

1.) The looks:
That would mean: Exact same shape and looks, just smaller: Cool, but larger hands would be left with just one good grip option (choked up), cause the handle behind the choil would get too short
2.) The virtue/property of the Manix 2 to offer TWO great grip options for even bigger hands:
That would mean: Shrink the Manx 2 in the exact same form, except the rear end of the handle. To preserve the two good grip options the handle should not have that "hook" in a Lil Manix, but be more flared out and flat..

Totally subjective, but I personally would prefer the function to be preserved in a Lil Manix, and not emphasize the looks 100%...
I´d even go so far to say: Like it was when the Endura was shrunken to a Delica: Give a Lil Manix thinner bladestock than the Manix 2 has...

(EDIT:Sorry, made that point already in my previous post... :o )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's like beating a dead horse with repetition of posts across the forum Wartstein. Sometimes, less is more. In terms of posts made. A lot of the time you get into these long, rambling posts that you edit and it just leaves a confusing mess.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:46 am
It's like beating a dead horse with repetition of posts across the forum Wartstein. Sometimes, less is more. In terms of posts made. A lot of the time you get into these long, rambling posts that you edit and it just leaves a confusing mess.

I know you have an issue with that and I honestly get it, Rick!

But two things come into play here:
1.) You´re one of those who is very active here and probably reads most of the threads and by that you come across a lot of posts of mine (true for some other rather active forum members of course)
2.) I am also very active and so I do post a lot.

Many others (active members and lurkers) might only read particular threads they are interested in, and so I think it is probably not necessarely a bad thing to discuss ideas and opinions several times (tbh, I could say vice versa which things YOU do repeat again and again, which is fine and just natural cause you post much and I read much).

Let´s take this thread as an example:
I posted one time and briefly, that I think it perhaps would not be a good idea to shrink the Manix 2 the same way it was done with the PM2 and explained why.
DougC3 replied and agreed, and so we discussed the matter.
People did not agree with my opinion, said so, and I replied
I think that´s how things are and should be on this forum.

Lastly, important, concerning editing: I never edit the content of a post (at least not without pointing out why) - what I do is correct spelling and grammar mistakes, which I realize just later when someone refers to a post of mine and I read it once more in order to reply properly.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am
I'm in for a 3 inch one with backlock and smooth G10 handle ! I wouldn't mind a CBBL one though....
^^^^^^^^yes, this please^^^^^^^^^
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I’d just like to see more Manix Backlock versions....maybe even the Manix2 XL in a Backlock?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’d be in for a Mini-Manix! I’m envisioning something the size of a Delica roughly, not quite as small as a Lil’ Native. A smaller knife with a CBBL would be awesome though.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

lil Manix would be great I love the Manix but a smaller version I’d carry more.

Lee
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yo where dat Lil Manix at?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am also waiting for the highly anticipated mini manix or lil manix.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I tried a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 555-1 CPM-20CV and loved the combination of Spyderhole and Axis Lock. But i didn't like the ergos of the handle.

So I'm in whith a Lil Manix oder Mini Manix.
Why don't call it the "Minix" :D

Sal, whats your opinion to a smaller CBBL knife ?

ASF
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:58 pm
I tried a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 555-1 CPM-20CV and loved the combination of Spyderhole and Axis Lock. But i didn't like the ergos of the handle.

So I'm in whith a Lil Manix oder Mini Manix.
Why don't call it the "Minix" :D

Sal, whats your opinion to a smaller CBBL knife ?

ASF

"Minix" is actually a good idea as a name for it ;)

/ You really have to try a CBBL since you like the axxis lock! Maybe a tad "harder" to activate (the CBBL) for some, but that is not an issue at all. And I prefer the CBBL by a lot, due to its much stronger detent and sturdier construction (My BM Minigrip (axxis lock of course) was the only knife that ever opened in my pocket (several times), and the omega springs broke twice (to be fair: BM sent me replacement springs for free and they were easy to install!))
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Minix is "mini-Unix" operating system. There would be some push back on the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I thought the Caly 3 was the mini Manix?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:46 pm
I thought the Caly 3 was the mini Manix?
Funny you say that because I had one or two Manix at the time and then got the UKPK (same handle as a Caly 3) and immediately thought that knife felt in hand, like a downsized Manix. I'm not at home right now, but I believe the handle shape for the finger grooves lines up pretty close between the two models.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manix & Mini Manix. Possibly Obelix and Asterix. Why has nobody proposed the names Womanix or Feminix yet?
Attachments
MANIX MINI MANIX.jpg
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

A mini Manix was already done...
0661663B-E35F-41A6-927E-FE0E302CA16B.jpeg
Almost
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi