Para 3 lw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zachreed1

Para 3 lw

Post by Zachreed1 »

Received my para 3 lightweight in the mail about a week ago and it is exceptionally good. My initial thoughts were slightly underwhelming. I was expecting my search for the perfect edc knife to be over. I currently carry my pm2 almost every day and I’ve owned g-10 para 3s in the past. The feel of the FRN doesn’t quite compete with g10 and it took time getting used to the weight of a super light para model. The action is perfect and bd1n is performing well. It’s no replacement for my pm2 but I feel it does everything a para3 does but in lighter package. It’s the perfect knife for the hotter summer months where a pm2 might be too heavy in the pocket. Can’t go wrong with the p3lw and pm2 combo, a knife for any occasion.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
TkoK83Spy

Re: Para 3 lw

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Get you an SE version and you'll really have some great combo's ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

To each their own. I’ll admit SE has benefit to cutting performance but i like to looking at and playing with my knives as much as I like using them. SE just doesn’t do it for me. I also love sharpening and keeping my edges hair shaving sharp. My left arm is permanently bald for testing my edges.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I've got the m390 version in my pocket today!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 am
How do you like it? I sharpen my knives very often so It’s hard for me to justify spending extra money of super steels.
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Praying for that lc200n tho
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not the LW version, but I just reprofiled this one by hand a month or two ago. Probably around 13-15 dps...the stout Para 3 blade slices VERY nicely now. Was a relatively easy steel to work with too, I thought it would be more difficult/time consuming.

Resized_20200208_085621.jpeg

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:02 am
To each their own. I’ll admit SE has benefit to cutting performance but i like to looking at and playing with my knives as much as I like using them. SE just doesn’t do it for me. I also love sharpening and keeping my edges hair shaving sharp. My left arm is permanently bald for testing my edges.

Of course it is totally fine if you prefer PE over SE (I did so myself for a very long time)... but just concerning sharpening: Especially with a sharpmaker SE blades can be kept sharp at least as easily as PE blades, in a way one could say they even get "sharper" (or better said usually have a more acute angle) due to the chisel grind they come in.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'll just leave this here for you, regarding shaving sharp edges and SE :)

Resized_20191220_224319.jpeg

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 pm
JuPaul wrote:
How do you like it? I sharpen my knives very often so It’s hard for me to justify spending extra money of super steels.
The steel, you mean? I like m390 as a general use edc stainless steel - easy enough to sharpen, great edge retention - so you wouldn't need to sharpen it as often - and very rust resistant. But I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at bd1n. As for the model, I really like it. More than the g10 version in some ways. Very slim and light in the pocket with better contouring on the scales, but more fidget friendly than my delicas. I only have a few complaints: I wish the frn was the same as on the sage lw, I don't personally prefer deep carry clips, and the blades being off-center (very often, anyhow) is a bit annoying, although it doesn't affect functioning. I gave my brother the bd1n version, and he's been carrying it every day for months now - he loves it.
- Julia

Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:41 pm
I'll just leave this here for you, regarding shaving sharp edges and SE :)

Resized_20191220_224319.jpeg
Got to see that mirror edge my man. That’s a deal breaker for me
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:45 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
The steel, you mean? I like m390 as a general use edc stainless steel - easy enough to sharpen, great edge retention - so you wouldn't need to sharpen it as often - and very rust resistant. But I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at bd1n. As for the model, I really like it. More than the g10 version in some ways. Very slim and light in the pocket with better contouring on the scales, but more fidget friendly than my delicas. I only have a few complaints: I wish the frn was the same as on the sage lw, I don't personally prefer deep carry clips, and the blades being off-center (very often, anyhow) is a bit annoying, although it doesn't affect functioning. I gave my brother the bd1n version, and he's been carrying it every day for months now - he loves it.
I definitely prefer it to the g10 para3. I prefer the delica to the g10 para3 as well so the p3lw is like an improvement on both. I’ll have a hard time picking up my delica if I wasn’t a lightweight frn knife now. Pm2 most days for me but when the weather calls for it p3lw is a home run. I can’t wait for sprints or honestly just some new frn colors.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I definitely prefer it to the g10 para3. I prefer the delica to the g10 para3 as well so the p3lw is like an improvement on both. I’ll have a hard time picking up my delica if I wasn’t a lightweight frn knife now. Pm2 most days for me but when the weather calls for it p3lw is a home run. I can’t wait for sprints or honestly just some new frn colors.
There are two new ones coming soon for sure: the burnt orange rex45 sprint, and the cobalt blue SPY27 model which is supposed to be regular production. I'm looking forward to both!
- Julia

Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:27 am
Zachreed1 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:

There are two new ones coming soon for sure: the burnt orange rex45 sprint, and the cobalt blue SPY27 model which is supposed to be regular production. I'm looking forward to both!
This may be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t mind an $80 vg10 model light grey frn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:09 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:27 am
Zachreed1 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t mind an $80 vg10 model light grey frn
Since it's a Golden-made model we won't see any vg-10 on it. BD1N (or spy27) will probably stick around as the base model steel. But I'm definitely with you on the colors...hopefully we see more in the base model.
- Julia

gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Ideal Para 3 for me is Para 3 LW with M390. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gull wing wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am
The Ideal Para 3 for me is Para 3 LW with M390. :)
Me too.

It's role in my pocket (small lightweight EDC) doesn't really call for the tool steels that I prefer in larger knives.

The only thing that I'd try in preference would be a LW Maxamet version, because I'd love to have the long term edge holding in that small platform.
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

I know I’m not the only one guilty of this. It’s been about a month of owning my P3 lw. It’s fantastic in every way so why do I always reach for my delica? The para 3 has superior ergos, action, blade steel, and carries better. The only reason I do carry it is because it’s new and relatively expensive. No other knives in my collection give me the warm and fuzzies like my delica. I love the aesthetic and I love vg10, so easy to keep sharp with a strop.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I never warmed to my Para 3 LW. My initial impression was great and if it weren’t for a few issues with it I’m sure I’d like it more. Mine has bad detent slop in the closed position, when the wire clip isn’t requiring bending, despite being loctited, the screw for it is coming loose.

Lots to love there though
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:50 am
I never warmed to my Para 3 LW. My initial impression was great and if it weren’t for a few issues with it I’m sure I’d like it more. Mine has bad detent slop in the closed position, when the wire clip isn’t requiring bending, despite being loctited, the screw for it is coming loose.

Lots to love there though

I have also gotten a few with very loose and sloppy detents.

When they’re good, they’re great though.