Para 3 lw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Para 3 lw

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:03 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am
Changing the name won’t be necessary. Do the elders speak of a delica/endura 5? I can’t imagine what I would change besides an index finger choil
:eek: :eek: :eek:
My friend, I know you joined the forum just recently, otherwise you´d know you just opened the "next Pandoras box"... :D :D
You could start a war by asking this question... ;)

Just kidding... kind of... but this has been discussed quite a lot and quite passionate.
In short, just for you (since you are new here) my opinion : PLEASE not another 50:50 choil Spyderco. Those are fine, don´t get me wrong, but there are already enough choices who offer that feature.
Keep the Delica/Endura the "Ricasso choice". Why? Hand placed closer to the edge in a regular grip. Handle offers a good four finger grip even on a small knife (Delica), cause no space is sacrificed to the handle part of a 50:50 choil. Ricasso (for me!) is at least as good for choking up as a dedicated choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Smith and Wesson still sells loads of snub nose revolvers, they too are more expensive than what you’d think. Yet they aren’t going anywhere while a good many pocket handguns have come and gone. Classics are just that, and the Delica is a classic
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Changing the name won’t be necessary. Do the elders speak of a delica/endura 5? I can’t imagine what I would change besides an index finger choil
Ignore Warstein, he's well-intentioned but wrong. ;)

Some of us have been asking for a Delica & Endura 5 with a 50/50 choil for years. For the Delica, the Bryd Meadowlark 2 comes pretty darn close, and for the Endura the Byrd Cara Cara 2 is similar.

Personally, I prefer the palm swell of the Stretch to the "points" of the Delica / Endura, which is why I keep asking for a 3" Straight Spine Stretch. But I'd still jump at a Delica with a choil. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:

Some of us have been asking for a Delica & Endura 5 with a 50/50 choil for years. For the Delica, the Bryd Meadowlark 2 comes pretty darn close, and for the Endura the Byrd Cara Cara 2 is similar.

Personally, I prefer the palm swell of the Stretch to the "points" of the Delica / Endura, which is why I keep asking for a 3" Straight Spine Stretch. But I'd still jump at a Delica with a choil. :-)
I agree, I'd prefer it with a choil as well. Find myself using my knives without choils far less these days. I appreciate the alternative grip that locks in. People complain about losing cutting edge...that's what the PM2/Military/Shaman are for.

At this point we're far off topic, but it's been that way for a few pages now :p

Awaiting Wartsteins lengthy, scientific reply with multiple quotes about the reason for no choil!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 pm
I agree, I'd prefer it with a choil as well. Find myself using my knives without choils far less these days. I appreciate the alternative grip that locks in. People complain about losing cutting edge...that's what the PM2/Military/Shaman are for.

At this point we're far off topic, but it's been that way for a few pages now :p

Awaiting Wartsteins lengthy, scientific reply with multiple quotes about the reason for no choil!
If you compare the Delica with the Meadowlark 2, you're only losing 4mm of cutting edge. I'll take that trade any day.

And Warstein, I appreciate your lengthy, scientific replies, and I'm sure expecting it here. :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
Some of us have been asking for a Delica & Endura 5 with a 50/50 choil for years....
TkoK83Spy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:

I am sorry to disapoint you, my friends, but you won´t get that "scientific reasonsing for no choil" ... :D
I like choils and like to carry knives with choils (these days PM2, Stretch, Chaparral)

All I am saying is: Let´s keep it the way it is in that Spyderco offers choices for everyone. And since there are already not too few 50:50 choil knives in roughly the Delica size range anyway (Para 3, Native, Sage, Chaparral...) it would be sad if the Delica / Salt variants as the only real "Ricasso" choice in this size range would be changed to a 50:50 choil too (and would rob people with really large hands of the opportunity to get a smaller knife where they can fit all four fingers on the actual handle)

As I always say, regardless if it comes to locks, choil/no choil or steel: There is no real "better or worse", just individual needs and personal preferences. There are as many reasons for "choil" as for "no choil" probably, so it is great that Spyderco offers choices...

/ Gladly awaiting your almost reflexiv (and sometimes even lengthy! :eek: ) arguing for changing the Delica from the last ricasso-small-knife into another 50:50 choil knife in the next "Delica 5 thread" ... :p :p ;) ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PS: And luckily I can recall Sal saying in some "Delica 5" or "Endura 5" thread that there were no plans to turn the Delica / Endura line into another 50:50 choil design (can´t find that post right now...) :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Want a Delica with a Choil then look at a Native or Caly 3. Leave the Delica alone :)
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
Some of us have been asking for a Delica & Endura 5 with a 50/50 choil for years....
TkoK83Spy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:

I am sorry to disapoint you, my friends, but you won´t get that "scientific reasonsing for no choil" ... :D
I like choils and like to carry knives with choils (these days PM2, Stretch, Chaparral)

All I am saying is: Let´s keep it the way it is in that Spyderco offers choices for everyone. And since there are already not too few 50:50 choil knives in roughly the Delica size range anyway (Para 3, Native, Sage, Chaparral...) it would be sad if the Delica / Salt variants as the only real "Ricasso" choice in this size range would be changed to a 50:50 choil too (and would rob people with really large hands of the opportunity to get a smaller knife where they can fit all four fingers on the actual handle)

As I always say, regardless if it comes to locks, choil/no choil or steel: There is no real "better or worse", just individual needs and personal preferences. There are as many reasons for "choil" as for "no choil" probably, so it is great that Spyderco offers choices...

/ Gladly awaiting your almost reflexiv (and sometimes even lengthy! :eek: ) arguing for changing the Delica from the last ricasso-small-knife into another 50:50 choil knife in the next "Delica 5 thread" ... :p :p ;) ;)
After carrying endura4 going to side with no choil school of thought
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

So you got your Endura? And obviously like it? :) That´s great!!

/ But to be clear: I personally am not really in the "no choil school of thought" but in the "not every folder has to have a choil in order to be great school of thought"... I like choices. Both concerning my own carry of the day and concerning that everyone int the whole Spyderco community can get what they like... ;)

/ Man, this thread went far off topic, but since you are the OP and initiated that, I think it´s just fine :)
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 am
Zachreed1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote: ...

So you got your Endura? And obviously like it? :) That´s great!!

/ But to be clear: I personally am not really in the "no choil school of thought" but in the "not every folder has to have a choil in order to be great school of thought"... I like choices. Both concerning my own carry of the day and concerning that everyone int the whole Spyderco community can get what they like... ;)

/ Man, this thread went far off topic, but since you are the OP and initiated that, I think it´s just fine :)
Yea man I’ve got no problem at all getting off topic. It’s refreshing to have a place to talk knives. I am new to the forum. None of my friends are fanatics and I know my girlfriend is tired of pretending to care, but she’s a good sport. Yes I love my endura. I can’t imagine a lighter more comfortable vehicle for a blade this long. And in regards to the finger choil, I don’t think it would hurt the design of the endura or delica, but I don’t think it would benefit the line up as a whole. You are right that there are plenty of 50/50 designs available.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt