TeroTuf!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: TeroTuf!

Post by Cambertree »

Those scales look good - I could go for a set with contoured edges.

Julia, is Terotuf hard to the touch like micarta, or does it have a slight ‘give’ to it?

Your pink checkered scales almost look to have a rubbery texture to the surface.

For what it’s worth I pulled up this mention of Terotuf from a Shaman thread last year:
sal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am
sal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am
Hi Lumpy,

Yes, we are always discussing new designs and materials that we can provide for you.

sal

Sal, have you had a chance to play around with Terotuf? That would be an interesting material for a sprint run paired with these hard use steels like Cruwear/3V/4V. They make a really nice bright forest green one that I would love paired with 3V in a Shaman! :D

Hi Steelcity,

We played around with it years ago. It didn't perform as we'd hoped for folding knife scales.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:04 am

Julia, is Terotuf hard to the touch like micarta, or does it have a slight ‘give’ to it?

Your pink checkered scales almost look to have a rubbery texture to the surface.

For what it’s worth I pulled up this mention of Terotuf from a Shaman thread last year:
sal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am
sal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am
Hi Lumpy,

Yes, we are always discussing new designs and materials that we can provide for you.

sal

Sal, have you had a chance to play around with Terotuf? That would be an interesting material for a sprint run paired with these hard use steels like Cruwear/3V/4V. They make a really nice bright forest green one that I would love paired with 3V in a Shaman! :D

Hi Steelcity,

We played around with it years ago. It didn't perform as we'd hoped for folding knife scales.

sal
Interesting that they didn't like it. So far I've been nothing but impressed, but I guess only time will tell if it holds up like micarta. I wonder what performance issues they had?

There may be just a tad more give to the terotuf when I press my finger into it, but I definitely wouldn't describe it as rubbery. It's very much like a slightly thicker weave canvas micarta. On the checkered pattern I can maybe feel a little give when I really press into the raised areas, but it feels pretty much the same when I press into the raised portions on my grooved putman micarta scales. And it feels every bit as tough and durable as micarta, if not more so.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:04 am

Hi,

To me they feel like the surface of a pool table with just a little more texture, I'm really liking them :spyder:

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am
Interesting that they didn't like it. So far I've been nothing but impressed, but I guess only time will tell if it holds up like micarta. I wonder what performance issues they had?

There may be just a tad more give to the terotuf when I press my finger into it, but I definitely wouldn't describe it as rubbery. It's very much like a slightly thicker weave canvas micarta. On the checkered pattern I can maybe feel a little give when I really press into the raised areas, but it feels pretty much the same when I press into the raised portions on my grooved putman micarta scales. And it feels every bit as tough and durable as micarta, if not more so.
toxophilus wrote: Hi,

To me they feel like the surface of a pool table with just a little more texture, I'm really liking them :spyder:

Thanks Julia and Toxophilus!

Yeah that sounds like it would make a very comfortable handle. I’m a big fan of the ‘worn jeans’ feel of canvas micarta - and these seem like they’d have the same feel to them. Another of the reasons why I like canvas or linen micarta, is it gets ‘grippier’ when your hands are wet or bloody, due to the exposed fibres at the surface swelling up. I’m guessing that coarse weave of the Terotuf fabric would have the same effect.

Yeah, I guess Spyderco’s durability testing would be pretty demanding. I remember at one time Sal wasn’t too keen on micarta either. I think the issue might have been dimensional changes over time as the micarta dried in extreme temperatures?

So either micarta has improved or they figured a way to engineer the problem out of designs.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

This thread may end up costing me some money.
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I would love to get a set for the back-lock version of the Lil' Native but without any of the screw holes for attaching a pocket clip.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm sure that any number of companies would be happy to make them without the clip holes. I have several sets of scales with different clip/hole configurations, including right hand tip up only (lots of those) and none.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm tempted to order a pair of the navy ones for my new Delica Wharnie SE. The shade of blue APPEARS to be a bit darker, not quite as pastel as some of the other colors? Can anybody confirm or deny that?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:

I've been really happy with mine. I carried the Native 5 on Sunday. That knife has been seeing more carry and use than it ever has. My only complaint (more like an observation) is that they tend to pick up cotton fuzz from the inside of my pocket. Not a big deal. I just pull it off
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm tempted to order a pair of the navy ones for my new Delica Wharnie SE. The shade of blue APPEARS to be a bit darker, not quite as pastel as some of the other colors? Can anybody confirm or deny that?
I assume they're the same Navy as this? If so, I say go for it. They're nice!

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm
JuPaul wrote:

I've been really happy with mine. I carried the Native 5 on Sunday. That knife has been seeing more carry and use than it ever has. My only complaint (more like an observation) is that they tend to pick up cotton fuzz from the inside of my pocket. Not a big deal. I just pull it off
Yeah, I've noticed the pocket fuzz thing, too, but as you said it brushes right off.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:03 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Those look really nice - like a darker denim micarta color. I really planned to get a tan or green set for the rex Manix, but then I saw the checkered ones and wanted to give that a try. It's funny, because the terotuf sets I have make the first pink knives I've ever owned aside from a little SAK classic. At least they're not hot pink!
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

That's all it took Pat! They are on backorder, but looking forward to whenever they arrive. I'm loving this new knife waaaaay more than I anticipated. I know it's a keeper, wanted to try a new material for the scales. You guys seem to be loving this stuff, so I'm pretty psyched!

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

That's all it took Pat! They are on backorder, but looking forward to whenever they arrive. I'm loving this new knife waaaaay more than I anticipated. I know it's a keeper, wanted to try a new material for the scales. You guys seem to be loving this stuff, so I'm pretty psyched!
Cool Rick! I can't see you not liking them. I think I'm going to buy a set for one of my Delicas. Looks like Nick has some other colors coming. So I'm going to wait to see what they look like before I commit
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 pm
visually, these don't really do it for me. i bet they're awesome in hand though.
I wonder if you'd like the earthy colors better. They really look more like traditional canvas micarta imo.
i do like earth tones better, but some of these denim blues look nice too. for me, it's the unfinished, tattered look around the edges that bothers me. i'm not sure why. like i said, they look like they feel great. just that little detail would get to me. we're all particular about certain things. apparently, this is one of mine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:02 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Cool Rick! I can't see you not liking them. I think I'm going to buy a set for one of my Delicas. Looks like Nick has some other colors coming. So I'm going to wait to see what they look like before I commit
Just be aware that, like Turbo mentioned, the delica ones don't come with backspacers. So you've gotta get one you like, or pick a terotuf color that works with the frn you have.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ugghhh, I saw his post too and it didn't really register (I was too excited about the denim blue option)

My backspacer is black, so definitely won't go with the look I'm seeing. Thanks for the extra reminder!

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 pm
Ugghhh, I saw his post too and it didn't really register (I was too excited about the denim blue option)

My backspacer is black, so definitely won't go with the look I'm seeing. Thanks for the extra reminder!
Black frn could look good with the gray ones. Or maybe tan or od green?
- Julia

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:15 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Black frn could look good with the gray ones. Or maybe tan or od green?
Or ball out and go for the Flytanium titanium backspacer. So much for the great deal $52 Delica. :p
-Turbo
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

If you're ok with plastic I MIGHT be able to 3D print you one. I have a blue that might look pretty good with that. Otherwise maybe a grey? No promises. I need to take apart one of my Delicas and see what I'm getting myself into first.

EDIT: just saw Turbo's post. Flytanium might be the better way to go if you're up for spending the extra $