TeroTuf!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Theldraskien

Re: TeroTuf!

Post by Theldraskien »

Anyone know of a maker that does Manix XL scales in Terotuf?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I bet Fireside would do them as a special order, if you contacted them and asked.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

I’ll give them a shot. Thank you Tom.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So I've been running the Terotuf scales on the Manix 2 (Rex 45, not that it matters) for about a week now. It's been pretty heavy work, so I have only been using them for actual tasks (no contrived 'jobs' that require a lot of cutting, which I sometimes find myself doing).

Honestly, they're fantastic. I'm not sure about durability, but the material is both soft and grippy to the hand, while sturdy enough for daily use. I like it enough that if I do manage to somehow wear them out (not sure if that's actual possible--they just feel more flexible) I'll doubtless buy another set.

I'm really considering ordering up some Terotuf shaman scales next. Or just ordering some Terotuf and making some Mule scales.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Good to hear Tom. I'm planning on carrying my Delica all week next week to get a real feel for them as well. I can't help but grab it and fiddle around with it a bit whenever I'm in my workout/knife room. Similar, yet so different from actual micarta scales.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:32 pm
Similar, yet so different from actual micarta scales.
Yes. Exactly. You think they're going to be like Micarta, but then in hand they're just...different.

I admit I like them better than Micarta, at this point.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Theldraskien wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:33 am
I’ll give them a shot. Thank you Tom.
Rcbladeworks has also started using some terotuf. Might be worth asking them, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:56 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:32 pm
Similar, yet so different from actual micarta scales.
Yes. Exactly. You think they're going to be like Micarta, but then in hand they're just...different.

I admit I like them better than Micarta, at this point.
It is such great stuff! Although I will say, I still prefer the grooved putman micarta scales to the checker patterned terotuf ones I got from fireside. The texture on those is almost...almost...too aggressive for me. I do wonder what grooved ones would be like.
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I was actually considering buying terotuf to make scales and trying to add different textures. I like the Anso style grooves (I have them on two sets of G-10 Manix scales) and wanted to try them in TeroTuf.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

As I mentioned above, I've got a left-handed pair of checkered desert tan Manix ones on order and have a couple of questions. Are all the scales in these pictures tan with varying amounts of mineral oil on them?
https://firesideco.com/product/spyderco ... esert-tan/

They seem thicker than regular G-10 scales. Is that very noticeable in hand? I've got some slightly thicker checkered G-10 on some Manix's and am a little ambivalent about it. It only adds about 0.4 mm thickness, but it's surprisingly noticeable in hand. Also I just ordered the checkered pattern because that was all they offered at the time and now it's sort of growing on me, but since these are special order anyway they might change them to regular desert tan if they had it on hand and if I could make up my mind... just wondering which way to waffle ;) I thought it might be better to start out with the uncheckered ones first. (Not meaning to imply that the checkered is thicker.)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:35 pm
As I mentioned above, I've got a left-handed pair of checkered desert tan Manix ones on order and have a couple of questions. Are all the scales in these pictures tan with varying amounts of mineral oil on them?
Different lighting, oil (and maybe use?) I'd say.

I oiled mine and the got noticeably darker. But with use they appear to be getting darker as well.

I originally oiled them for looks, but I actually think I prefer the feel in hand after oiling. I might describe them as 'softer' or as having a 'looser' feeling weave after oiling...but it's hard to put into words.
Is that very noticeable in hand? I've got some slightly thicker checkered G-10 on some Manix's and am a little ambivalent about it. It only adds about 0.4 mm thickness, but it's surprisingly noticeable in hand.
They're definitely thicker (I just compared them to a G-10 set), but honestly I don't really notice in hand. It might be that the feel softer, but they actually seem to fill my hand better and are overall more comfortable and ergonomic to use. I bet that's totally just a personal hand size/fit thing, though so it may be different for you. But for me, no, not really noticeable in hand, or if it is it's a slight positive.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

How much moisture do TeroTuf scales absorb? I had an idea to use some for a LC200N Mule scales.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:35 pm

They seem thicker than regular G-10 scales. Is that very noticeable in hand? I've got some slightly thicker checkered G-10 on some Manix's and am a little ambivalent about it. It only adds about 0.4 mm thickness, but it's surprisingly noticeable in hand. Also I just ordered the checkered pattern because that was all they offered at the time and now it's sort of growing on me, but since these are special order anyway they might change them to regular desert tan if they had it on hand and if I could make up my mind... just wondering which way to waffle ;) I thought it might be better to start out with the uncheckered ones first. (Not meaning to imply that the checkered is thicker.)
I just compared the checkered manix scales against g10 ones, and if they're any thicker, it's very minimal. Definitely not enough to notice in hand. The difference in thickness is a little bit larger on the shaman scales, but again, it's not much.

And don't get me wrong - the checkered scales are great. But the texture is more aggressive than on the plain scales, for sure. I think it all comes down to personal preference, and whether you like a very grippy texture or a smoother, softer one.

Edit to add: I also haven't oiled the checkered scales I have. I bet that'd soften them up a bunch.
- Julia

anycal

Post by anycal »

With calipers, both of my PM2 scales are 0.2mm thicker (total) than stock G10 scales. In hand, I can't tell the difference.
Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am
How much moisture do TeroTuf scales absorb? I had an idea to use some for a LC200N Mule scales.
I don't know if you can really call it "moisture" but the mineral oil I applied to my scales shown in the pics on the last page, has dried up quite a bit and lightened the color. I've only carried the knife 3 days I believe since doing that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am
I don't know if you can really call it "moisture" but the mineral oil I applied to my scales shown in the pics on the last page, has dried up quite a bit and lightened the color. I've only carried the knife 3 days I believe since doing that.
I did the same with both of my sets and noticed soon after that they looked like the original color again. Not sure if it actually absorbs moisture at all. I know it's not supposed to swell in water but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't absorb.

https://firesideco.com/terotuf-vs-micarta/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks very much for all the responses, everybody! It's really too much info to quote :) I remeasured my crosshatched G-10 Manix scales and they vary a little from one color to the next, up to 1.2 mm thicker than the stock G-10. So, from the info you all provided, I think the TeroTuf will be fine. I think I'll stick with my crosshatch order and if I like the material, I can order a smooth set later... but I do sometimes lightly sand my favorite peel-ply G-10 and CF knives to cut down some on the grippiness... so I may waffle back again :confused:

As for oiling, when I first came on the forum, I got the idea at the time that people were oiling their micarta mule scales and sometimes G-10, and I tried it and liked it OK. But it soon pretty much disappeared, and from what you guys are saying that sounds similar to the experience with TeroTuf, except that maybe it has a more pronounced effect on the appearance before fading back to normal, and some effect on the grip as well.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

TEROTUF MANIX 2 XL SCALES IN THE WORKS !!

Post by DougC-3 »

Followup: I like the crosshatch ones fine. They are pretty grippy, but it turns out that it was more the sandpaper-like feel of G-10 and peel-ply CF that I was getting a little tired of, not the grippiness itself. The crosshatch TeroTuf gets a little smoother with use, and of course, you could give it a light touch with sandpaper to "adjust" the grippiness to the point you like, which I haven't needed to do. I ordered a set of the smooth tan ones and they're presently my all-time favorite scales.

TeroTuf Manix 2 XL scales in the works!
I wrote fireside.co last night to tell them how much I need some for my Manix 2 XLs. This morning Nick replied that the XL was a great knife, that he'd received a lot of requests for the scales and mine was the straw that broke the camel's back. He said he'd just ordered another XL and would get to work on the scales right away and "Keep an eye on our IG for when they become available."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I spent the past week making scales for various knives (because apparently that's what I do on vacation). I have two sheets of Terotuf, so I'll probably do Terotuf for the Spy27 Mule when it comes out, assuming I can get my hands on one (or more).
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:43 pm
I spent the past week making scales for various knives (because apparently that's what I do on vacation). I have two sheets of Terotuf, so I'll probably do Terotuf for the Spy27 Mule when it comes out, assuming I can get my hands on one (or more).
I hope you'll post pics when you get some made. Can you buy it in small sheets?