Small Police 4 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bigspyder

Small Police 4 lightweight

Post by Bigspyder »

Police 4 lightweight is a great desing. But it is little big for most people to EDC.

How about smaller version, about the size of Endura 4. This would kind of bring the fingerchoil option to those who has wished it to the Endura. And the one finger groove ergonomics on the handle would make it fit for most hands. But making it separate model (small Police 4), you could leave Endura the way it is.

In my eyes the Police 4 lightweight desing looks exactly what many has wished from Endura. But it is just too big knife for many.

Any thoughts?
Sumdumguy

Re: Small Police 4 lightweight

Post by Sumdumguy »

You're asking for a LW Rookie, kind of.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
phaust

Post by phaust »

Put me down for the opposite, a P4-sized Endura :p

The Caly 3.5 already fits the Endura-sized knife with a choil for me. If you haven't tried it, definitely worth picking up, especially if you can find the G10 version. It's not a "lightweight" model but is quite light. (Edit IIRC there's a LW version already planned, too.)
Last edited by phaust on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Love the P4 LW. I was skeptical about the size of the knife, but it feels great in hand and in pocket. I am very happy with the knife. That said, I understand that the size may not be for everybody (though do give it a try if you can, I think you will be surprised). In the meantime, would the SS Stretch fill this need?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If the rookie came back in a g10 or lightweight version, I would very likely buy one (especially if it came back in the foliage green or anything but black). I really like the Police's design and blade shape, but it's too big for me. The rookie didn't have a choil, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You could maybe mod the G10 version to the size you want. FRN is a little harder to mod and make it look factory.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bigspyder wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:20 pm
Police 4 lightweight is a great desing. But it is little big for most people to EDC.

How about smaller version, about the size of Endura 4. ...

You´re thinking about a higher end Cara Cara maybe?

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Haven't handled a LW Police but I love the G10 version. A smaller one I think would be a hit, could call it the deputy lol I love how thin the scales and blade stock is compared to other Spyders
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

Yes there is CaraCara. But I believe there are many who do not like it's bladesteel, Bird name, thumb hole, made in country, look, quality and finishing. And i think the handle desing is not quit there. It would nice to have higher end version. And that Police 4 lightweight seems to be very nice desing, only too large.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm game! Even better in a 3" model. Rookie LW or not, 3" blade + choil and I'm in. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'm not kidding at all, and I cannot stress this enough. Get a byrd Harrier 2 Lightweight! It feels so much like a smaller Police 4 Lightweight. Everything about it gives me that feel, and it also feels like a major upgrade from the FRN Cara Cara and Meadowlark. The FRN feels like an upgrade and the handle is much more contoured and impressive feeling. The Harrier, IMO, is on par with the Japanese FRN knives quality-wise. I know some don't like the 8Cr13MoV steel, but it's not nearly the downgrade from VG-10 that some would have you believe, and I quite like it. 8Cr is a very "maintainable" steel for most purposes. The only real downside to it for me is that it can rust a bit more easily than some other stainless steels.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the beauty of the Police is it's power ratio. It's got so much cutting authority in a package that carries so "small" in the pocket.

I definitely prefer the finger choil, and I haven't carried an Endura for years because of it's lack, but I'm not sure how a smaller P4 would work out for me. Is there any other choil/backlock offering in the line up in that size?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 am
I definitely prefer the finger choil, and I haven't carried an Endura for years because of it's lack, but I'm not sure how a smaller P4 would work out for me. Is there any other choil/backlock offering in the line up in that size?
Native Chief has a choil and has 4 inch balde.
Cara Cara is a nice one, but the FRN is not rounded......maybe I buy it one day just to regrind it :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:06 am
Native Chief has a choil and has 4 inch blade.
True. I'd somehow forgotten that.

I'm hoping to get the Rex 45 to try that model out. :)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Now I'm wanting a tanto version and off topic also the regular police in tanto :)

That grind Eric came up with for the PM2 is perfection but Police blade is larger and thinner
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Police 4 lightweight is an outstanding knife, and IMO, an updated, FFG Rookie lightweight would be awesome, too. But many non-knife aficionados may feel it’s too similar to the Endura or Endela, so there’s no guarantee it would even be considered feasible to produce as part of Spyderco’s regular lineup. Then again, I’m only speculating.

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bigspyder,

Welcome to our forum.

Light weight tooling is very expensive in Japan and we really need to make sure there is market to support the investment in tooling. When you say "smaller", what size blade length are you thinking?

Size is also an issue with regards to laws. The Endura is too long in blade for many jurisdictions. That's why we created the Stretch versions and the Harrier 2 model and the Endela. Many cities are making 3.5" blade a maximum legal length.

sal
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:25 pm
Hi Bigspyder,

Welcome to our forum.

Light weight tooling is very expensive in Japan and we really need to make sure there is market to support the investment in tooling. When you say "smaller", what size blade length are you thinking?

Size is also an issue with regards to laws. The Endura is too long in blade for many jurisdictions. That's why we created the Stretch versions and the Harrier 2 model and the Endela. Many cities are making 3.5" blade a maximum legal length.

sal
Hi!

And thanks for answering Sal!

I was thinking about the size of Endura. I have few Enduras with different blade steels. I have also some other Spydercos and some of them have a fingerchoil.

I have always had a feeling that the knives that have a fingerchoil, you can get better saber grip feeling for little heavier cutting (without using choil), becouse of the thumb ramp location comparing the grip to other fingers on the handle. And there is also opition to use fingerhoil if I want to get closer to the edge and the tip (to make the knife feel little smaller on lighter/precise tasks), also when using "pinch grip". So I have kind of missed that on Endura.

Just resently I noticed the Police 4 Lightweight model. Comparing the Endura, it looks better, it has that fingerchoil, the whole handle desing looks more neutral and it looks it would fit almost any hands (just one fingergroove). Only problem to me is that it is too big knife (for me). Endura`s blade lenght is kind of perfect. Long blade, slim handle, good slicer and easy to carry, thats what I prefer. So this is where I`m coming from.

But I really do understand what you mean about the costs and investments. And I understand that there can`t be every possible model desings to every people.

Thanks again for answering. I appreciate it!

Bigspyder