Manix2 XL vs Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Manix2 XL vs Shaman

Post by JMM »

I have a question for the users... two of my favourite knives are the Manix2 and the Shaman, I have an opportunity to get a NIB Manix2 XL Sprint in CF / S90V at a very good price. I have the Shaman equivalence and I love it, as I do all my Shaman. In all honesty though, I have never even held any Manix2 XL, what are the users general thoughts on ergos, weight, balance, feel, durability, etc....

Thanks as always to the collective :)

Cheers,

John
TkoK83Spy

Re: Manix2 XL vs Shaman

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Where's Vivi when we need him?? :(

I also have a few Shamans myself (3) and Manix's (4) so seems we have similar tastes! I feel like looking at the specs, the Manix XL is just a bit larger.

The fact that you already have the CF/S90V Shaman...to me, would be a bit redundant to get the Manix XL in the same platform, considering the price. I find there's a lot more out there, that's different or soon to be released that I'd want to spend that kind of money on.

That's just me, coming from a fellow Manix 2 and Shaman lover myself. I'll be carrying my 4V Shaman this week and can't wait! Hoping for some high volume at work unlike last week.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

*cough* Caribbean *cough*

Out of the two choices, I'd probably choose the Shaman. But I don't like the CBBL, so I am biased.

Either one is going to be a very stout knife, although I believe the Manix 2 XL is a bit heavier.

Edit: Wow, I must have been tired to not see that you owned several Manix 2s... I'd still say that the Caribbean is the best choice, though ;)
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:26 pm
Where's Vivi when we need him?? :(
Don't remind me. :(
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Comparing a manix 2 and a manix 2 XL is somewhat like comparing a para2 and a para3. The Manix Xl is great and it fits wonderfully in the hand. It's a little larger than a shaman. I say it's like comparing a para2 and para3 because of the extra handle length at the bottom, it's just enough to come around the last finger and give a really firm grip. I've also found that the extra blade weight makes the CBBL sliky smooth, at least on my model.

If the price is right i'd go for it

:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
JMM

Post by JMM »

BLJace wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 pm
Comparing a manix 2 and a manix 2 XL is somewhat like comparing a para2 and a para3. The Manix Xl is great and it fits wonderfully in the hand. It's a little larger than a shaman. I say it's like comparing a para2 and para3 because of the extra handle length at the bottom, it's just enough to come around the last finger and give a really firm grip. I've also found that the extra blade weight makes the CBBL sliky smooth, at least on my model.

If the price is right i'd go for it

THANK YOU for posting a pic, one would think that images.google.com would yield a few pics without any trouble but this is exactly what I needed for a better frame of reference. As I said, I love the Manix2, I LOVE the Shaman, I just have never held an XL and I wanted a little input before throwing down on a new Sprint XL, even if it's a good deal, it's still cutting into my Rex45 Sprint budget, it has to be for a really good reason.... I'm 95% sold, I will post pics if I take the plunge.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

The XL is a better slicer than the shaman, but is slightly less comfortable for extended use. I like both equally, and consider these along with the caribbean leaf to be spiderco’s best production designs for full sized pocket knives.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Manix 2 XL would probably be a bit of a too big package in the pocket, so I'd not carry it too often.

But other than that: Thinner blade stock and CBBL are both a plus over the Shaman in my personal view.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Something about the XL I just can't love, I'd have to go with the Shaman.

I'd also have to go with a Caribbean over either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I love my XL. The only negative I’ll throw out is that it is huge in your pocket. Otherwise it’s perfect in my eyes.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

manix 2 xl is better in the hand (for me), but worse in the pocket. i’d still choose it because i’m pretty anti-shaman at this point. i’d probably also choose a caribbean over either of these for my uses though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If you’ve got a line on a S90V Manix2 XL, take it. Great knife. Shamans, which I also love, are currently more common.

I do think Spyderco should make an effort to encourage Vivi’s return.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have both, and I prefer the Shaman hands down.

The Manix XL is just plain huge. A great knife if you want a huge knife. I am into thick blade stock for no particular reason, so that biases me towards the Shaman (though the stock is actually the same as the PM2, namely 0.145 according to my calipers). Both the Manix and Manix XL are thinner at 0.125, which is kind of a surprise honestly. But we are only talking a 0.02 inch difference, which is nothing for friends to fight over.

But like Evil D says, there is something about the Manix XL that just makes it an ugly duckling for me.

And yeah, what the heck ever happened to Vivi -- I do rather miss him.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've been going back and forth on this for the last couple days, I really like the Manix2, and as a whole, the Shaman is probably my favourite knife (and the Ulize) -- I have every steel made in the Shaman, and a bunch for the Manix2, but the more pictures I look at, especially of the spine, I don't think I really need a Manix2 XL, unless I find an absolutely ridiculously good deal, then who knows. For now I'll just wait patiently for that K390 (or I guess the M390/20CV) Shaman whilst foaming at the mouth... ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Without Vivi and Pelagic, we've lost a lot of knowledge and conversation in general about sharpening and various grits, etc. Odd they both seemed to have left around the same time.

-Rick
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:56 pm
Without Vivi and Pelagic, we've lost a lot of knowledge and conversation in general about sharpening and various grits, etc. Odd they both seemed to have left around the same time.
You're like the 20th person to make those comments -- I have read through quite a few of their posts and it seems like they were both incredibly knowledgeable and competent . . . :(
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the Manix better than the Shaman, and the Shaman better than the XL.

I think that's mostly about my (average to small) hand size though.

How big are your hands? I think someone with XL hands would likely prioritize them exactly opposite my order.

FWIW, I have that s90v Manix XL and it's a fantastic hard use folder. s90v has great toughness which makes it really nice when you hit staples or rocks (both of which I've done with that blade) and it just rolls rather than chipping.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Thinking about this more, several things come to mind.

1 - You like what you like, and it isn't always easy to say why.
2 - There is more to the apparent thickness of the Shaman than the blade stock. Comparing it to the PM2 with the same stock, the Shaman seems like a much stouter/thicker blade, and it is all about the blade shape and grind.
(Well, it -is- a stouter and thicker blade, despite being made from the same stock.)
3 - I like a stout rather than a thin "slicey" blade on a pocket knife for the things I do. I don't do food prep with my PM2 or Shaman or any of my pocket knives, and that is where a "slicey" blade is needed. I guess a thinner blade goes through carboard easier (but grab a box-cutter for that).

And then there is the way the knife fits in hand and how the overall package "works". I just like the Shaman.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Same here Tom. Carrying my 4V Shaman this week and honestly, I never feel hesitant about cutting anything in my warehouse duties. Large knife, very comfortable in hand, not a pocket hog. I'd take either of my Shamans over my PM2's if I were forced to keep one model.

I'm very surprised at how much larger the Manix XL is than the Shaman. For my purposes in a knife, I find the Shaman to be plenty robust for what I'm going to put it through.

Not trying to hate on the XL...but considering the size, would a smaller fixed blade with a nice sheath be an equal or better option?

-Rick
JMM

Post by JMM »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 pm
I like the Manix better than the Shaman, and the Shaman better than the XL.

I think that's mostly about my (average to small) hand size though.

How big are your hands? I think someone with XL hands would likely prioritize them exactly opposite my order.

FWIW, I have that s90v Manix XL and it's a fantastic hard use folder. s90v has great toughness which makes it really nice when you hit staples or rocks (both of which I've done with that blade) and it just rolls rather than chipping.
I have really wide paws, not fat, just very wide, the Shaman fits my hand great, especially for hard use, while I really like the standard Manix2, I see/use it as a medium/medium-heavy use folder, but it doesn't have the handle size or blade stock in my view, to really use as a hard use folder. Which is why I have the Shaman in every steel made to date....