K390 Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
behinDedge

Re: K390 Sharpening

Post by behinDedge »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:33 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:03 am
If one's starting from scratch - what stones should they acquire? Atoma? Edge Pro matrix diamond or cbn? Some sort of venev?
They all work, the bonded stones don't scratch as deep and make more refined edges, also the stones last longer. The coated (galvanic bond) stuff tears out over time or improper use quickly but is cheaper and does make a rougher slightly more delicate micro serrated edge for those that like that best.

For a fixed angle system I recommend the 120grit JISand 400grit JIS Metallic bonded CBN from Poltava and the new OCB 400 grit FEPA-F from Venev or the 1100- 2200 grit matrix stone.

For Freehand I like Vitrified CBN stones best.

I like to finish all edges with 1um diamond spray on leather.

Technique is king, higher finish will drop aggression and enhance push cuts. Low finish enhances aggression for light draw cuts but drops push cutting ability. One can find the best blend of both worlds I felt with around 1000grit JIS and 1um Stropping.
Shawn, please would you send me (here or via PM) a few links where to buy some vitrified CBN stones?
I've been hunting for 1000-1200 grit CBN a while but didn't find any in 8" or at least 6" size.
Thanks a lot.
Dan
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

behinDedge wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:06 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:33 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:03 am
If one's starting from scratch - what stones should they acquire? Atoma? Edge Pro matrix diamond or cbn? Some sort of venev?
They all work, the bonded stones don't scratch as deep and make more refined edges, also the stones last longer. The coated (galvanic bond) stuff tears out over time or improper use quickly but is cheaper and does make a rougher slightly more delicate micro serrated edge for those that like that best.

For a fixed angle system I recommend the 120grit JISand 400grit JIS Metallic bonded CBN from Poltava and the new OCB 400 grit FEPA-F from Venev or the 1100- 2200 grit matrix stone.

For Freehand I like Vitrified CBN stones best.

I like to finish all edges with 1um diamond spray on leather.

Technique is king, higher finish will drop aggression and enhance push cuts. Low finish enhances aggression for light draw cuts but drops push cutting ability. One can find the best blend of both worlds I felt with around 1000grit JIS and 1um Stropping.
Shawn, please would you send me (here or via PM) a few links where to buy some vitrified CBN stones?
I've been hunting for 1000-1200 grit CBN a while but didn't find any in 8" or at least 6" size.
Thanks a lot.
Dan
I make the stones, I'm waiting on another batch.

-Shawn
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:10 pm

-Shawn
Do you have your prices posted anywhere, and where will you announce when you have them in stock? I’ve been covering your stones for a while. Uh, I mean, your sharpening stones!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

They will be about $350 per stone, they will be posted on my website at triplebhandmade.com when they come in.

aaronkb wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:10 pm

-Shawn
Do you have your prices posted anywhere, and where will you announce when you have them in stock? I’ve been covering your stones for a while. Uh, I mean, your sharpening stones!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives