Would anyone be interested in...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Would anyone be interested in...

Post by The Meat man »

...a Plain Edge, FFG Hawkbill in something like CPM M4 or K390?

There's been a lot of talk about hawkbills lately. I have been carrying my Byrd almost every day since I got it in January. It's a great knife. One thing I really like about the hawkbill shape is that it pulls the material into the edge as it's being cut, which is especially useful when cutting cardboard at work.
However, the 8Cr13MoV steel - while an excellent choice for serrations - leaves somewhat to be desired in terms of wear resistance for abrasive media such as cardboard. Also for cardboard, a FFG would cut easier than a hollow grind.

So my vision is this: A Hawkbill knife, modeled on the Byrd preferably, with a Plain Edge, FFG blade in some higher wear resistant steel such as CPM M4, K390, CPM S90V, or CPM 4V. A thinner, slicier Hawkbill. What a beast of a cutter that would be!

Perhaps the easiest way of fulfilling this would be a Sprint Run of the existing Harpy?

Would anyone else be interested in something like this?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JMM

Re: Would anyone be interested in...

Post by JMM »

4v or cruwear, I'm in 100% for a SE & PE version
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

In theory, I love them. After experiencing both, I would only have a hawkbill in SE.

PE just left a lot to be desired, to me.

That being said, I would definitely sipport a FFG hawkbill in any steel, so long as the option for SE was there.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been asking for this for a while. Tool steel, PE, FFG hawkbill. Also Non-Light-Weight, I want g-10, CF, or Titanium. The Dragonfly would be top of my list, something like the Tasman 2 would be second, a new design would be welcome as well.

*Cough* Hawkbill Lil Native *Cough*
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 pm
Also Non-Light-Weight, I want g-10, CF, or Titanium.
Bring back the Heavyweights!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Absolutely not!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I would be interested, but honestly there are so many Spydies on my list I'm not sure when I would get around to it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m not really into hawkbills. The general utility isn’t there.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Byrd hawkbill used to be available in plain edge too, but I think Sal said sales were poor and it was discontinued. People largely preferred serrated.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Question that you need to ask yourself: How you are going to sharpen it?
If your only option is sharpmaker with diamond stones, are you willing to make your time grinding away possible chips in the blade on sharpmaker?
K390 is no joke, I spend some time grinding away one small chip in the blade, and that was with Xcoarse DMT plate with a lot of contact area.
With hawkbill you are limited to corner of a rod...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Careful now....you nearly lose me with all that "PE" crazy talk ;)

It would really come down to the model. I use my Spyderhawk (and Dragonhawk) a lot less than I expected and they're both SE, I can only imagine how much less I would use the same knives in PE.

But, with the scarcity of hawkbills these days I'm still interested, but mostly for the FFG part. If I could get a FFG/SE Caribbean hawkbill I'd be all over it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not really a fan of hawkbills but I'd probably buy one if it was a midlock with a PE, FFG, blade in a decently stainless steel like VG-10 or CPM-S30V, or a highly stainless one like LC200N, and either an FRN or Micarta handle with a 50/50 choil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I’m good for anything in M4 ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:45 am
Careful now....you nearly lose me with all that "PE" crazy talk ;)

It would really come down to the model. I use my Spyderhawk (and Dragonhawk) a lot less than I expected and they're both SE, I can only imagine how much less I would use the same knives in PE.

But, with the scarcity of hawkbills these days I'm still interested, but mostly for the FFG part. If I could get a FFG/SE Caribbean hawkbill I'd be all over it.
Oh I love my SE hawkbills too. For stuff like plastic straps you can't beat them. But for cutting stuff like cardboard, SE doesn't really offer much in performance over PE in my experience; it tends to snag more when dull (and cardboard can dull a knife pretty quickly, especially if it's a low carbide, low hardness steel as all the SE Hawkbills are),the chisel grind makes it harder to make straight cuts, plus they always seem to come with a hollow grind.

I just think that we've got SE hawkbills pretty well covered with the current offerings; PE seems to be a neglected niche that I'd love to
see filled with a steel like CPM M4.

With that said, I'd also be all over a FFG/SE Caribbean hawkbill!!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:32 am
Question that you need to ask yourself: How you are going to sharpen it?
If your only option is sharpmaker with diamond stones, are you willing to make your time grinding away possible chips in the blade on sharpmaker?
K390 is no joke, I spend some time grinding away one small chip in the blade, and that was with Xcoarse DMT plate with a lot of contact area.
With hawkbill you are limited to corner of a rod...
That's definitely a point to consider. Maybe something like CPM Cru-Wear or M4 would strike a nice balance of wear resistance and sharpenability? I'd also love to see CPM 4V, in either Spyderedge or Plain Edge.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 pm
Hey Doc, have you ever given them a good trial? I used to think the same thing until I made myself carry the Byrd Hawkbill for awhile. I found that there isn't really anything the Hawkbill couldn't do as well or better - wood carving (mostly due to the SE) and cutting food on a cutting board being exceptions. And even these tasks are certainly possible with a HB; I've done both.
- Connor

GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

I’d have to have a FFG PE for sure.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 pm
Hey Doc, have you ever given them a good trial? I used to think the same thing until I made myself carry the Byrd Hawkbill for awhile. I found that there isn't really anything the Hawkbill couldn't do as well or better - wood carving (mostly due to the SE) and cutting food on a cutting board being exceptions. And even these tasks are certainly possible with a HB; I've done both.
I have. They are very useful for some things, but as you note, others not so much.

Also, like here, they are illegal in many places.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Whatever it takes to get more people to test-drive hawkbills. While the wharncliffe is probably my favorite shape, I'd probably take a hawkbill over a normal curved/bellied shape if I had to choose (for a pocket knife).

Hawkbills and wharncliffes are extremely underated.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have a Hawkbill Ladybug, Dragonfly and Tasman which cover all my needs, so fair to say I’m good for now.

That said, I’d definitely buy a HB Ladybug with a PE, FFG tool steel blade. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin