Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinB

Re: Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Post by JustinB »

BennyBontrager wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 am
I would like the range to be:

1 - Salt in LC200N (sounds like a drop point is in the works but a mini Caribbean sheep's foot shape blade would be awesome). Not a sprint as this knife is surely going to be a winner.

2 - Tool steel - probably k390 and micarta or G10. Could be a sprint. Like the HH anyway. A warncif would be amazing though.

3. Existing base models.

That's pretty solid. Put an option out there for everyone
Justin :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JustinB wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:48 am
BennyBontrager wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 am
I would like the range to be:

1 - Salt in LC200N (sounds like a drop point is in the works but a mini Caribbean sheep's foot shape blade would be awesome). Not a sprint as this knife is surely going to be a winner.

2 - Tool steel - probably k390 and micarta or G10. Could be a sprint. Like the HH anyway. A warncif would be amazing though.

3. Existing base models.

That's pretty solid. Put an option out there for everyone
I still want MAXAMET!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:29 pm
How about a Lc200n sheepsfoot? A little like a slip it mini- Caribbean ....
I second this!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not a fan of large sheep foot blades. I want something that is not so restricted in purpose.

I would love to see LC200N, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

If we're talking blade shapes... A traditional spear point is my preferred. Wharncliffe #2. Leaf shape number #3 but isn't that far from a spear point anyway.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

Why would we want one?

I have never done the math of how many 3” blades spyderco makes with how many steel combinations there are.
Do I need a delica and urban and ukpk and native and chaparral and and domino and blah blah? All offered in 4 steels and all the other 3” range models?
As for me, I have a native in s35vn and a chaparral in titanium. Done.
They are all 3” they are all a flat grind 90% are plastic handles. Most are vg10 or s30v which are ho hum.
The cts-xhp in a titanium chaparral for slicing and the s35vn native for slightly harder use with a thicker blade cover this whole entire category for me.beyond that I skip up to a Gayle Bradley 2.
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Robishere wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 pm
Why would we want one?
Because not every country in the world is enjoying the same relaxed knife laws as the ones where you live.

In Europe, every new version or model of a legal knife from Spyderco is an event. I also have quite a few of those models, problem is that I can't take them outside the house without the risk of getting a fine.
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

Mzen you are correct I had not thought about legality.

In that case yes a choice would be a good thing. It does make the uk pen knife a different animal. But in most of North America the 3” and 3 1/2” blade have thousands of variations it is just getting silly.

If legality is an issue then it would be good to have premium steels offered.
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
hawk45

Post by hawk45 »

Hope not in poor taste to bring this back, but would love to see more versions of this, and I'm in the USA. Most tasks I use my primary EDC for don't need a locking knife, and with the way this is made, I see no way it can close on you without some work. I always treat my knives like slipjoints anyway, unless using a fixed blade. The ability to open and close one handed is what makes this slippy so great. I'm not really a fan of ultra light knifes, I actually like a little weight so I know it's there. A G10 or Micarta version in a subdued or muted color would be awesome. With no liners the tiny extra weight of the G10/Micarta over the FRN wouldn't be that noticeable and again, for me, welcome. The specialty steels are "cool" and I don't mind them, but I like a good working steel, that has a long working edge and is easy to touch-up. I don't need to pop hairs or phone book paper all day, I just need it to cut things, and that flat grind with thin stock should do that well with any steel, and should sharpen up for a LONG time with the geometry. Anyway, good to hear from Sal they have more coming and continuing to make upgrades, and a 3.5" possibly.. Thumbs UP!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see the UKPK line expanded to include Maxamet (!!!) and a salt variant in LC200N.

To my mind, BD1N/s30v/VG-10 (baseline), Maxamet/K390 (super high edge retention non stainless), H-1/LC200N (super stainless) and perhaps s110v (high end non-knife person, very stainless and great edge retention) makes a full line up for any knife design. I can see how s110v splits the difference between LC200N and Maxamet, and as a marketing decision that makes some sense--I just love me some Maxamet (and other carbide monster non stainless steels, like Rex 121 and K390).

Ask me about fixed blades and I'd replace the Maxamet/K390 category with 4v/v4e (for better edge stability) though.
hawk45

Post by hawk45 »

@TomAiello, Agree. I do love a patina on a blade.. K390 Endela arrived today and Factory Seconds Maxmet P3 arrived last week. Christmas came early.
Joernschi

Post by Joernschi »

Hello, any news about a upgraded UKPK?
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

An lc200n ukpk was announced in the last reveal
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Been waiting with bated breath. Supercedes anything in the Seki City Salt line in my book along with the Swick. Any concrete news would be most welcome.
Matus

Post by Matus »

It would appear that we have a little more waiting ahead of us - the Salt UKPK is supposed to hit EU in July/August ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Arrrrrrgh! Guess I'll have to get the Swick first as they just need to complete the sheaths. :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There are a lot of us waiting on the UKPK Salt. I read somewhere they were supposed to be put into production this month, but I do not know if any delays have cropped up.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JMM

Post by JMM »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:27 pm
There are a lot of us waiting on the UKPK Salt. I read somewhere they were supposed to be put into production this month, but I do not know if any delays have cropped up.

Indeed! I really want to fill those two reserved/vacant slots in my Golden SpyderPac, I think they will be an SE EDC Grail for me, seriously. I can't remember eagerly anticipating a small, sub $100 knife in a long time.

:) :rolleyes: ;) :D :o
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JMM wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:27 pm

Indeed! I really want to fill those two reserved/vacant slots in my Golden SpyderPac, I think they will be an SE EDC Grail for me, seriously. I can't remember eagerly anticipating a small, sub $100 knife in a long time.

:) :rolleyes: ;) :D :o
Yeah, this is a really great offering. I can't wait to get my hands on one or two of them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

My biggest regret in terms of knives sold is the time I rid of my Ti UKPK.
I’d absolutely LOVE one with some modern steels, Micarta, G10 and Titanium scales!