Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Post by foofie »

I wholeheartedly agree with all the requests in this thread - especially wharncliffe and k390!
The UKPK is a great platform to mod - scales wise. That's why I would vote for different blade shapes and steels rather than just scales materials.

RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Would love a nicely dressed up version with fluted Ti or CF.
Also, an LC200N version would be a must..!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I think the only option is LC200N. It would appeal to a MUCH broader market than K390 or any other tool steel.

A full Salt UKPK would be glorious!
Imagine a knife, legal in almost any jurisdiction, impervious to even the most severe neglect/abuse and made in the good old U.S.A!

I could sell that knife to almost anyone!

I know I'd buy one.

Edit: HAS to be G10, it just looks and feels so much better than the FRN versions.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:44 pm
I think the only option is LC200N. It would appeal to a MUCH broader market than K390 or any other tool steel.

Imagine a knife, legal in almost any jurisdiction, impervious to even the most severe neglect/abuse and made in the good old U.S.A!

I know I'd buy one.

Edit: HAS to be G10, it just looks and feels so much better than the FRN versions.
I would love it, but no yellow please. I want earth tones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would also purchase a G10 UKPK. Almost bought one of the HH ones but held back because I've never purchased from overseas before. If they're doing another run, I may just do it. I wouldn't care what color of g10 or what steel. Just needs to be g10. I've been building a pretty good modern slipjoint collection, would like to add a Spyderco.
Would prefer if it wasn't a sprint run as I can't ever buy those.

Or maybe just get another sliojoint design going or do that in addition. A Taichung slipjoint would be cool. Honestly, a slipjoint Sage 6 would be up my alley.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

I know I'd buy one.

No yellow. I think it should be white or ivory, so that it's easy to dye to your liking.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I believe that a UKPK in a modern tool steel like K390 and G10 or Micarta would be awesome!! I would like to develop a nice patina on a UKPK and have some earthtone handles that age nicely...
So it goes.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:49 am
I believe that a UKPK in a modern tool steel like K390 and G10 or Micarta would be awesome!! I would like to develop a nice patina on a UKPK and have some earthtone handles that age nicely...

The K390 Urban is one of my favourite smaller non locking folders, so I would love a UKPK size K390 slippie as well. Especially with the CQI'd G10 or micarta scales :spyder:
Justin :spyder:
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JustinB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:00 am
Airlsee wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:49 am

The K390 Urban is one of my favourite smaller non locking folders, so I would love a UKPK size K390 slippie as well. Especially with the CQI'd G10 or micarta scales :spyder:
This is all my thoughts exactly!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

A K390 UKPK would be awesome for us, no doubt.

But the problem is, that limits the market. I could never sell a K390 knife to Joe Blow down the street. It would rust, quite quickly without maintenance and leave them thinking poorly of Spyderco.(even though it was their own fault)

Now an LC200N version, I could sell to EVERYONE and what an easy sale it would be.

"Hey pocket knife buyer, how would you like a pocket knife that is almost impervious to neglect, super tough and legal almost anywhere they allow knives?" "Well, have I got the knife for you!"

The hardest part would be getting them to believe you.(keep one in a tub of salt water on the table to help)

If I'm Spyderco, do I want the product I can move 2,000 of, or 20,000?

With the right marketing, this knife could be a money tree.

Edit: Heck, get my goofy butt on QVC and every housewife and grandmother in America would have one, lol.

-Thomas Jefferson
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 am

But the problem is, that limits the market. I could never sell a K390 knife to Joe Blow down the street. It would rust, quite quickly without maintenance and leave them thinking poorly of Spyderco.(even though it was their own fault)

Now an LC200N version, I could sell to EVERYONE and what an easy sale it would be.

"Hey pocket knife buyer, how would you like a pocket knife that is almost impervious to neglect, super tough and legal almost anywhere they allow knives?" "Well, have I got the knife for you!"

The hardest part would be getting them to believe you.(keep one in a tub of salt water on the table to help)

Edit: Heck, get my goofy butt on QVC and every housewife and grandmother in America would have one, lol.
Dum, you do have a point. K390 and other highly wear resistant tool steels and such are what most of us afis want, but, we make up such a tiny portion of the actual knife buying audience. If Spyderco is looking big picture, a mass marketed, basically legal everywhere folder that any joe blow could use and not have to worry about high maintenance steel that is impossible to sharpen without special equipment that would be an option.

That being said, BD1n and N960co are already fairly rust resistant enough, so making them in LC200n just seems like you're doing the same thing twice, again just for us afis who want more steel options.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sumdumguy wrote:

I see your point, and I agree. So let’s do just a sprint in K390/Micarta and do regular production of LC200N/Peel-Ply CF just to keep it classy. ;) I need user like the K390/Micarta so that both the blade and scales show patina, and I think Peel-Ply CF should go with every salt.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
You want to sell your pocket knife buyer a Victorinox Alox ... ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

N690co and BD1N are not in the same league as LC200N. If I did what I did to the Caribbean, to one of them, they would be in rough shape.

One of the main features I would get behind is just how life proof it is. Take it, be a complete knobhead with it, cut oranges, go swimming in the ocean, when your done, rinse it off(next week) and keep going. I know it will.

Really dirty? Throw it in the dishwasher! Who cares? It'll be fine.

Let's call it LPK, the Lifeproof Knife... it even rhymes!

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

A salt UKPK is in the works as per Sal. Hopefully it gets a release at some point. I remember him saying the fork was a bit of an issue for a salt knife.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I will buy the Salt version when it comes out.

I like the size of the Urban LW K390 for daily pocket carry, but the quality of the Golden made UKPK BD1N I much prefer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

I know I'd buy one.

No yellow. I think it should be white or ivory, so that it's easy to dye to your liking.
Polished ivory G10 would be classy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Sumdumguy wrote:

But the problem is, that limits the market. I could never sell a K390 knife to Joe Blow down the street. It would rust, quite quickly without maintenance and leave them thinking poorly of Spyderco.(even though it was their own fault

Not to be argumentative and with respect, Opinel make a living from doing just this with their ‘Carbone’ range. Admittedly in a cheaper format.

In marketing k390, m4 etc. Spyderco has been up front about the care needed for these low/no chromium steels.

It would be a shame to not include them due to concerns about patina/rusting a percentage of buyers may experience.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
BennyBontrager

Post by BennyBontrager »

I would like the range to be:

1 - Salt in LC200N (sounds like a drop point is in the works but a mini Caribbean sheep's foot shape blade would be awesome). Not a sprint as this knife is surely going to be a winner.

2 - Tool steel - probably k390 and micarta or G10. Could be a sprint. Like the HH anyway. A warncif would be amazing though.

3. Existing base models.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 am

Not to be argumentative and with respect, Opinel make a living from doing just this with their ‘Carbone’ range. Admittedly in a cheaper format.

In marketing k390, m4 etc. Spyderco has been up front about the care needed for these low/no chromium steels.

It would be a shame to not include them due to concerns about patina/rusting a percentage of buyers may experience.

That is exactly my train of though. There are companies like opinel that market knives in tool steel that sell to, call them "non knife people", and they seem to have no problems with keeping a reputation.