Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Post by Doc Dan »

Heinnie Haynes ordered and got this beauty made, with S30V. Why can't we have a classy looking UKPK with G10 scales in a classy color that will not go out of style, and a good steel like M390, Elmax, XHP, or something that we can buy in the USA? HH has been having problems with their site. I tried to order this three times and got an error each time. Now they are out of stock.

It occurred to me that such a knife would be good for us, too. The HH in the deep red is a classic slip joint color. A forum knife for 2020, or regular production. The HH knife is not expensive. It is cheaper than the S110V FRN version.

As for me, I'd like to see dark chestnut, ivory white G10 or even dark olive G10. Earth tones are the best in my view.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Re: Why can't we have an upgraded UKPK?

Post by Jazz »

I’d like one in 52100 with tan or ivory FRN.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I'd be interested in this. I'd like it in forest green G10 and CTS-XHP. I also like earth tones, blue, and gray.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well Dan, chalk it up to being late to the party. The original UKPK had a black G-10 handle paired with an S30V blade. Over the years there were several other colors of G-10 offered, all in S30V. IIRC, there were even CF/S30V and Ti/S30V versions. Slow sales prompted Spyderco to drop them all, but unllke a lot of other models, the UKPK got at least a semi-reprieve in the form of the FRN version. While I know better that to predict what Spyderco will, or will not, reintroduce I'd guess that the most likely ways for an "upgraded" UKPK to be offered would be the same way the one in your post came to be, namely someone sponsoring an Exclusive or, as you suggested, as a Forum Model.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sorry to hear you had problems with the HH website. I didn't have any problems when I ordered from the US and don't recall other comments about it.

If you're still interested, you may want to email them at support@heinnie.com. I contacted them about removing the VAT tax from my order and they were very responsive and easy to deal with.

It is a bit of a head scratcher that there seems to have been a decent surge in popularity around slipjoints and not much of a response by Spyderco outside of the regular lineup and HH Exclusive. Guess there is probably stuff coming.

Agree with The Deacon that they were probably a bit ahead of the curve with prior models and now production lead times make it hard jump back into the party.
:spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ideas for the the UKPK were highly talked about here a month or two ago for a 2020 forum knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not buy one of the older versions as the action on the two I looked, different times and places, was terrible. On hearing how good the new ones are I took a chance and got a BD1N version. It is awesome. I carry it all the time. It is light years ahead of the earlier models. And, since I like the Caly3 so much this is a natural for me.

The UKPK is a better knife than the hot selling Propers I’ve seen. The fit and finish is better and it has a Spydie hole.

I wrote HH and asked when they will be in stock again. Next time I will use PayPal.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

As Paul mentioned, there were quite a few offered originally. Slip-joints were not a hot item at the time. Now the demand for Slip-joints has increased, so I'll watch this thread.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have an extremely deep fondness for the UKPK stemming directly from my even deeper love for the Caly 3.5 (for some reason though, the Caly 3 oddly doesn’t appeal to me very much). I was overjoyed when HH released their exclusive run and the CQI changes that Eric and his team made to the G10 model are very noticeable and a huge improvement. They dropped the blade thickness from 3 to 2.5 mm and improved the lock spring so the action is much snappier and tighter. This CQI change also allows for blade swaps with the older FRN models since they’re also 2.5 mm blades.

You can only swap the older non-FRN 3 mm blade models amongst themselves, and yes there were Ti and CF versions along with 3 G10 colors (black, foliage green and my favorite - orange) with various blade shapes (leaf, drop point, sheepscliffe serrated) and even a smaller hole version known as the DK penknife for countries in the EU with even more restrictive knife laws than the UK. There are several FRN colors including that nice burgundy and a light blue that I’ve never seen used on anything else. I really enjoy modding this model as well and even have a customized set of Ti scales due to be delivered today in fact that I’ll share soon! :D I have two custom scale ones from Steve Ketchen as well in Koa with red G10 liners and natural Micarta with black G10 liners — UKPKs are absolutely excellent platforms for mods and just about a near-perfect Spyderco to me.

Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 am
Hi Doc,

As Paul mentioned, there were quite a few offered originally. Slip-joints were not a hot item at the time. Now the demand for Slip-joints has increased, so I'll watch this thread.

sal
Sal, if you don’t already have another UKPK variant in the queue, I’m going to be a very sad camper. Many of us are hoping for at least a higher-end steel choice in the new CQI G10 models that Eric has pretty much perfected. I don’t care what color it is, but a dark gray Maxamet or a new foliage green K390 would be fantastic! I’m also really hoping to see a blue G10 UKPK at some point (not blurple!!!!). Thanks, Radioactive (the other Paul) :)

P.S. I will bug you and Eric mercilessly about this at OKCA next month!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:34 am
I did not buy one of the older versions as the action on the two I looked, different times and places, was terrible....
I have one of the older G10/S30V UKPKs and I can't understand why you would think the action was "terrible". Yes, maybe it doesn't snap into the notches quite as crisply as the new ones but it's not bad either. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 am

I have one of the older G10/S30V UKPKs and I can't understand why you would think the action was "terrible".
The old frn models are quite soft.
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love m390, but I think s110v is a better choice for an upgraded UKPK. The longer edge holding of s110v really shines in a small package, where the (relatively) better toughness of m390 isn't as important.

I'd rather see Maxamet than M390, for sure.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RadioactiveSpyder,

thanx much for the post and great pictures. The UK has definitely been a work in progress for us. Back when we began the Slipit project, most thought I was nuts, but lately, the slip-joint models are emerging from other companies as well so I could say there is a trend. We're panning a 3.5" variant (CPK) for those wanting a larger version. We're also discussing other alternatives. We've also improved the design considerably as we build other variations and get feedback from the ELU using them.

The HH model was a big help and it certainly was a gamble for them, but it seems to have worked out and they've got another run in motion.

I'd be curious as to what variations in which you would be interested, and it would be better to narrow down to a few.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12 am
I love m390, but I think s110v is a better choice for an upgraded UKPK. The longer edge holding of s110v really shines in a small package, where the (relatively) better toughness of m390 isn't as important.

I'd rather see Maxamet than M390, for sure.
The semi-recent S110V FRN model incorporates some of the CQI upgrades that were incorporated in the red G10 HH version. If you had both versions, you could just blade swap them. I would have done that with mine but the pivot screw spins freely in my S110V FRN handle.
RadioactiveSpyder

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:41 am
Hi RadioactiveSpyder,

thanx much for the post and great pictures. The UK has definitely been a work in progress for us. Back when we began the Slipit project, most thought I was nuts, but lately, the slip-joint models are emerging from other companies as well so I could say there is a trend. We're panning a 3.5" variant (CPK) for those wanting a larger version. We're also discussing other alternatives. We've also improved the design considerably as we build other variations and get feedback from the ELU using them.

The HH model was a big help and it certainly was a gamble for them, but it seems to have worked out and they've got another run in motion.

I'd be curious as to what variations in which you would be interested, and it would be better to narrow down to a few.

sal
Thanks Sal, the HH version is truly outstanding! I’d say any of the current steel/G10 color iterations would be a huge hit. I’d be over the moon with any of these:

Gray G10 with Maxamet
Foliage green G10 with K390 (or ranger green, or whatever you’re calling that color these days ;))
Blue G10 with M390

I know some of those are dealer exclusive combos but those are my dream UKPKs right now!

Thanks again Sal!! :D
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

OOO OOO Grey Cruwear or maxamet please Sal - im reluctant to buy any of the current offering as im wanting a 'nicer' version - have my name in the hat at HH for one of their 'June' run
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N Salt, that would probably sell like gangbusters. White G10, so nobody can complain about the color. Dye it, if you don't like it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd definitely buy K390 or LC200N as well.

Maxamet is still my first choice, but of the suggestions in this thread, I find LC200N the most interesting. It would be a great little zero maintenance travel knife.
RadioactiveSpyder

I’d definitely be up for a LC200N option as well, that is indeed a fantastic choice for a go-to travel knife Tom. I’m wondering if that might be run as a FRN model though given their current Salty offerings.