Snapping clip screws

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zozo

Snapping clip screws

Post by zozo »

I’m clearly doing something wrong, but I don’t know what. I picked up an mxgear deep carry clip for my smock and swapped out the stock clip. I’ve moved 20+ clips in the past because I’m a lefty, and I’ve never had a problem.

I reused the stock spyderco screws, and while I was attaching the clip, the screw snapped. Wasn’t tightening too hard—the clip was still loose. I had to take all the screws out, pry the scale off, and use pliers to twist the screw back out.

I replaced the scale and tried again. A different screw went in that spot fine, but the other hole on the clip did the same thing—snapped screw. Again, take out all the screws, pry off the scale, twist off the screw stem. I used my last spyderco screw and it went in fine.

These were spyderco screws, not over-tightened, two different screw sites. Never had this happen before. I’m a little nervous about future clip swaps.

Anybody else have this happen?
VooDooChild

Re: Snapping clip screws

Post by VooDooChild »

Habe not had it happen. Could be a bad batch of screws.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I've never had clip screws break, but I did have two (on the same pm2) where the threading stripped the very first time I removed them. They released easily, no locktite, etc, but about half the threading was flattened when I took them out. Bad screws, I guess. Anyhow I called spyderco and they sent me new ones.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Sounds to me like you’re slightly cross threading them. It’s easy to do with the fine pitch.

If the screws are getting so tight you’re snapping heads off before the clip is held on tightly, then they almost have to be cross threaded.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zozo,

I agree with the others. You might have to send it in. I let Charlynn know.

sal
zozo

Post by zozo »

Thanks, Sal. It probably was a user error. The point on cross threading makes sense. I’m just annoyed I did it twice.

The good news is that my last screw worked and the new clip had additional screws. So it’s fine now—once I finally found that little detent ball on my floor and figured out where it needed to go. Taking the scale off loosened everything enough to jostle that out. I’m going to be a lot more careful in the future.
sal

Post by sal »

It also gives you a greater appreciation for our Golden Knifemakes.

sal
zozo

Post by zozo »

Definitely
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Turn the screw counter clockwise first until you feel it click past the starter thread. Especially important for the small t6 screws.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela