PAR a 3 clip update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CrayzCanuck
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:52 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PAR a 3 clip update

Postby CrayzCanuck » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello guys/gals,
I have a question that may have already been dealt with, but hoping someone can answer it for me.
I am wondering if the new PARA3 models have the deep Carry pocket clip like the light weight para three models?
I really like the PARA 3 and would probably buy several if they ride as low as the lightweight model in the pocket.

Any insight appreciated.
CC

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby Sumdumguy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Nope, only the LW has the wire clip.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3373
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby JuPaul » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Plenty of people put aftermarket deep carry clips on them, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4574
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby TomAiello » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:02 pm

The clip location on the standard is still a problem for me. A deep carry clip still doesn't really help as much as I'd like.

JMM
Member
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby JMM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:48 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:02 pm
The clip location on the standard is still a problem for me. A deep carry clip still doesn't really help as much as I'd like.
Not to sound snippy about it, I'm being serious, there are about a hundred different deep carry clip sizes, depths, colours, configurations, among the ones you have tried, what are you not liking? I put deep carry clips on nearly everything that doesn't have a wire clip...

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4574
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby TomAiello » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:05 pm

I don't like how far from the end of the knife the factory clip screws sit. I want a deep carry clip to really carry "deep" the way they do when they are right at the end of the knife. With the location of the clip screws, the Para 3 still sits pretty high, even with a "deep carry" clip. The Lightweight version fixed this by switching the locations of the lanyard hole and the clip. I'd like to see the standard P3 do the same. It really makes an enormous difference for me.

I haven't seen a Para 3 "deep" clip that extends up past the end of the handle. Do you know of one?

foofie
Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby foofie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:22 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:05 pm
I don't like how far from the end of the knife the factory clip screws sit. I want a deep carry clip to really carry "deep" the way they do when they are right at the end of the knife. With the location of the clip screws, the Para 3 still sits pretty high, even with a "deep carry" clip. The Lightweight version fixed this by switching the locations of the lanyard hole and the clip. I'd like to see the standard P3 do the same. It really makes an enormous difference for me.

I haven't seen a Para 3 "deep" clip that extends up past the end of the handle. Do you know of one?
Almost. MXG makes a Para3 specific clip that sits flush with the end of the knife. Deeper than the standard MXG or Lynch clips.
Image

https://mxggear.com/collections/para-3/ ... 2476139610

I have more than a couple of these - and it sits just about as low as the para3 lw with wire clip. I can take a photo when I get home if you like.

foofie
Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby foofie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:40 am

Here's a quick shot of the two clips:

Image

JMM
Member
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby JMM » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 am

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:05 pm
I don't like how far from the end of the knife the factory clip screws sit. I want a deep carry clip to really carry "deep" the way they do when they are right at the end of the knife. With the location of the clip screws, the Para 3 still sits pretty high, even with a "deep carry" clip. The Lightweight version fixed this by switching the locations of the lanyard hole and the clip. I'd like to see the standard P3 do the same. It really makes an enormous difference for me.

I haven't seen a Para 3 "deep" clip that extends up past the end of the handle. Do you know of one?
Based on what you are describing here are the best 3 solutions I can offer, I have one or more of all of these... I do not know or have any affiliation with any of these options, this is just from my personal experiences...

This first one is for a Para3 clip made by an ebay seller screw4you, (he sells on amazon as well) not only does he make his own stuff, he will/can/does make things specific to your requirements, ie deeper carry or whatever -- generally though there will be some lead time, but I have bought several clips, screw sets, etc from him and he's a very knowledgeable and friendly guy.
(FWIW in my experience his black-powder-coating on his clips lasts much longer than some of the other much larger shops around)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Titanium- ... Sw4O1eXxED

PopsCustomClips -- Stealth Design - Titanium Pocket Knife Clip
https://www.etsy.com/listing/239438511/ ... e?ref=cart

Another good choice for you would be here...
https://mxggear.com/collections/para-3/ ... co-para-14

Cheers,

John

Michael Janich
Member
Posts: 1705
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby Michael Janich » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:52 am

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:05 pm
I haven't seen a Para 3 "deep" clip that extends up past the end of the handle. Do you know of one?
The Recluse Exo-Tool from 5x5 Combat Solutions is basically a machined aluminum backspacer that installs into the handle. The clip then mounts to the end of the backspacer, much like the Perrin PPT clip did. It's about "as low as you can go" while still keeping the knife clipped to the pocket. It's available for the Para 2, Para Military 2, and Yo 2 and is reversible for left/right carry. All the models use the same clip, and they also sell clips Cerakoted in khaki and denim blue.

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop?key ... e-exo-tool

Stay safe,

Mike

User avatar
bigboned
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby bigboned » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 am

CrayzCanuck wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm
Hello guys/gals,
I have a question that may have already been dealt with, but hoping someone can answer it for me.
I am wondering if the new PARA3 models have the deep Carry pocket clip like the light weight para three models?
I really like the PARA 3 and would probably buy several if they ride as low as the lightweight model in the pocket.

Any insight appreciated.
CC
Hey Bud, why not insert a threaded spacer into the lanyard hole then just screw on a wire clip from a LW
Andy

Me - Para3 in Cruwear, Bow River
Son - Dragonfly2 in VToku2
Wife - Urban in K390

Want to try - Delica DLC CE, Bradley Bowie, Bushcraft
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK

User avatar
bigboned
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby bigboned » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 am

like this
Attachments
2B5FB640-F059-4BAA-8495-8838DD8EAD22.jpeg
Andy

Me - Para3 in Cruwear, Bow River
Son - Dragonfly2 in VToku2
Wife - Urban in K390

Want to try - Delica DLC CE, Bradley Bowie, Bushcraft
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK

sok
Member
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: PAR a 3 clip update

Postby sok » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm

foofie wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:22 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:05 pm
I don't like how far from the end of the knife the factory clip screws sit. I want a deep carry clip to really carry "deep" the way they do when they are right at the end of the knife. With the location of the clip screws, the Para 3 still sits pretty high, even with a "deep carry" clip. The Lightweight version fixed this by switching the locations of the lanyard hole and the clip. I'd like to see the standard P3 do the same. It really makes an enormous difference for me.

I haven't seen a Para 3 "deep" clip that extends up past the end of the handle. Do you know of one?
Almost. MXG makes a Para3 specific clip that sits flush with the end of the knife. Deeper than the standard MXG or Lynch clips.
Image

https://mxggear.com/collections/para-3/ ... 2476139610

I have more than a couple of these - and it sits just about as low as the para3 lw with wire clip. I can take a photo when I get home if you like.
Thanks for the heads up on the notched, deeper MXG Gear clip. I own a couple of Para 3 MXG Clips that I received from eBay but they were different. I grabbed the newer style from your link.
Pic of both styles.
Image


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Burton Knut, Deadboxhero, legOFwhat?, Mike Blue, tonijedi and 97 guests