Best torx wrench set

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Best torx wrench set

Post by JuPaul »

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in off topic...

Anyhow, I want to upgrade my torx wrench set. I don't want to spend an obscene amount of money, but I'd like a quality set. What kinds are you all using for your spydie maintenance?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
FK

Re: Best torx wrench set

Post by FK »

Wiha,,, not too $$$, excellent quality.
This is what Spyderco customer service uses..

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I've been using Wiha and have zero complaints. From what I've seen, they're widely regarded as being the "best". I can't confirm this, but I alao haven't stripped a screw since getting the set either. They can be purchased individually, which is great if you only ever need a t8 and the occasional t10. The set my wife got me is a 6 piece and costs about $25 on Amazon.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I got this one around 6 months ago, I've used it quite a bit and have no complaints. Though lacking the T9 bit is a bit odd, I haven't needed it and thankfully have a cheaper set in that has one if ever needed though.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO09BO ... bit-driver
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wiha for stationary sets, and i've had a very good experience with these for carrying in my pocket for adjustments:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-mni- ... 97469.html

they definitely work better than you'd expect. well-hardened and well machined.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Wiha

The husky multi bit one works in a pinch
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wiha.
I have one small set from Boker with Wiha bits, best 15 € I spend on this hobby
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench on my guns, and I really like it. Admittedly though, I've never used it on knives, so I can't comment on that.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This is what I use most of the time.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

BONDHUS, 12632, T6-T25 GORILLA GRIP FOLDUP TORX TOOL SET https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7ZLHQ/re ... xEb5T613GH

I’ve had one of these for years and have never stripped a torx screw or any of the tool heads. It’s not the most ergonomic though if you’re using it often.

Also use a leatherman bit kit from my wave and extender which has worked really well.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 am
This is what I use most of the time.

Same here except I'm using their microbits. The micro bits are surprisingly strong and wiha makes good tools.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wright.88 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 am
BONDHUS, 12632, T6-T25 GORILLA GRIP FOLDUP TORX TOOL SET https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7ZLHQ/re ... xEb5T613GH

I’ve had one of these for years and have never stripped a torx screw or any of the tool heads. It’s not the most ergonomic though if you’re using it often.

Also use a leatherman bit kit from my wave and extender which has worked really well.
I actually have that Gorilla foldup set, but I want to stick it in my car for days like yesterday when the clip screws on my Smock wiggled loose. And I've got a little set of bits from benchmade. Looking for a new second set for home since it's nice to have two when you need leverage from both sides. Looking like Wiha for the win!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am a big tool junkie and have everything from Snap On to Wiha to Wera to Witte to Felo to Vessel to Bonhus to Harbor Freight! But for drivers and bits I have found PB Swiss to be the best there is. Expensive but totally worth it. Definitely go for the bits and bit holder. Much cheaper to replace a bit than a screwdriver! And the Crosshandle Driver is perfect for knives with loctite. It allows you to turn the driver while applying constant downward pressure so you will likely never strip a screw if you do it right.

https://www.shop.pbtools.us/SwissGrip-S ... 10-30M.htm

https://www.shop.pbtools.us/PB-C6-400-1 ... s_c190.htm
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:04 am
Wiha for stationary sets, and i've had a very good experience with these for carrying in my pocket for adjustments:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-mni- ... 97469.html

they definitely work better than you'd expect. well-hardened and well machined.

Harbor Freight gets a bad rap, but a lot of their stuff is just as good as the expensive brands. Made in the USA is nice in theory, but I have found Made in Taiwan to be nicer in quality than USA Made stuff in many cases, and I purposefully seek out USA Made things where possible.

These Pittsburgh Professional Screwdrivers are an insane value. They are rock solid drivers, and well hardened and machined as you said. I've had drivers from Wera and Wiha round where these things just keep going. Read the reviews if you don't believe me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-p ... 94607.html

these are also fun for beater drivers!

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-b ... 94899.html
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:52 am
Wright.88 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 am

I actually have that Gorilla foldup set, but I want to stick it in my car for days like yesterday when the clip screws on my Smock wiggled loose. And I've got a little set of bits from benchmade. Looking for a new second set for home since it's nice to have two when you need leverage from both sides. Looking like Wiha for the win!
I have the Bondhus Gorilla Grip as well. It's a nice tool.. as you mention, it's great on the go.. I stick it in my bag when travelling just in case anything comes loose. I find that it is also really useful compared with skinny-handled tools when you need to get some leverage on the more stubborn screws..

I also have a Wiha set that sees a lot of use. Like a lot of others, I highly recommend Wiha. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of their sets..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've actually had better luck with PB Swiss than Wiha. I've stripped a couple Wiha bits. The PB Swiss driver makes it easier for me to keep strong, even pressure on the bit while I'm turning it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wiha definitely has the reputation for quality, but I've had good results using all three of these sets. The Home Depot Husky set has seen the most use, and has yet to bugger a screw or damage a bit. Lowes Kobalt set works well too, but offers less grip. Unless you're working on one of the very small knives that need a T3 driver, any of these will work for you.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I used to have the Husky multi-driver, but recently graduated to this Wera set that I've been quite happy with.

I went Wera over Wiha for two reasons:
  • I like the handle swell for extra purchase, and
  • I like green :cool:
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Been using the husky for years and it hasn’t buggered up a screw yet.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:07 am
Wiha

The husky multi bit one works in a pinch
Yep! I have both. I primarily use the Wiha set but keep the Husky one in my desk drawer to occasionally snug clip screws etc
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!