Best torx wrench set

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: Best torx wrench set

Post by archangel »

I use Wiha equipment. A Stubby and a LiftUp 1/4". Pretty ingenious and well executed.

Side note: the other German tool manufacturer proposed by some of you is from the city that I live in. I am well aware that this forum is for an awesome American company - but Made in Germany is still pretty darn good, too. (Wiha & Wera) ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wiha. I have 3 types of Wiha. Two are all in one tool and bits and the other separate. The bits should be T6-T10.

https://www.wihatools.com/torx-tools
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sv4

Post by sv4 »

This is my preferred Wiha set, the Magicspring feature helps hold fiddly little screws in place for easy installation :

https://www.wihatools.com/magicspring-t ... -piece-set
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Felo 1/4" bits and Felo magnetic driver handles (regular and stubby)
KC Tool
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

I have and use both Wera and Wiha torx drivers are work and both are outstanding. If you are getting a multi bit set, I’ve found Wera handles to be a just a little nicer. The bit holders lock the bits in place instead of relying on springs or magnets.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I use this for knives and everything else: MASTER TECH 65 PIECE SET - ESD HANDLE, MINI RATCHET AND MICROBITS IN METAL STORAGE BOX. Has nearly everything I need and will ever need. I added another handle and a couple of other specialty bits, and it all fits in the box.
ducknado

Post by ducknado »

Has anyone ever tried this Wiha set?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ9J52A/ ... LEbW272T18

I came across it when searching for the various great ideas in this thread. Not too many reviews of it on Amazon but virtually all of them are positive. I realize it costs a lot more than the other options posted here but it looks like it has a lot of larger sizes possibly used for things in addition to what we'd be using them for.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ducknado wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:06 pm
Has anyone ever tried this Wiha set?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ9J52A/ ... LEbW272T18

I came across it when searching for the various great ideas in this thread. Not too many reviews of it on Amazon but virtually all of them are positive. I realize it costs a lot more than the other options posted here but it looks like it has a lot of larger sizes possibly used for things in addition to what we'd be using them for.
I have not used those, but I have used other L-shaped torx wrenches and for knives I definitely prefer to have torx wrenches with an actual handle (could be individual wrenches, or a single driver with interchangeable bits). Sometimes you need to apply downward pressure while turning, and that's not as easy for me with that thin L shape. The "bulb" shape on a lot of the Wiha wrenches has worked really well for me. Personal preference, of course.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:34 pm
I use this for knives and everything else: MASTER TECH 65 PIECE SET - ESD HANDLE, MINI RATCHET AND MICROBITS IN METAL STORAGE BOX. Has nearly everything I need and will ever need. I added another handle and a couple of other specialty bits, and it all fits in the box.
Nice! That looks amazing, I definitely think that's a worthwhile investment. I have a set of Wiha Torx that I really like, and I have found that for an on-the-go / lightweight set, the BenchMade Blue-Box set is a really good setup for the money, they are pretty easy to find for ~$15 - $20 bucks and the bits are higher quality than most.

Cheers,

John
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Just saw on IG thst Wiha is having a big sale today: 50% off your order with code 50KCELEBRATE at wihatools.com.
- Julia

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve got the gray/black husky set posted on page 1, it works very well. My favorite is a small Wera Kraftform set. Closest I can find at the moment is:

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Compact-Bit ... rm&sr=8-19

I think I also bought an additional torch but and swapped out one of the Phillips bits.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

This question comes up from time to time. I have to say I really appreciate the knowledge and experience shared here. It was you guys that got me away from an inexpensive Husky that was capable of stripping heads to a super cool problem free set of Wiha. Thanks guys...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
the74impala

Post by the74impala »

Wera
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just to add to this topic a bit....some time ago I bought my son a tool kit to work on computers, he has since moved on to bigger and better professional kits so he gave me back this Kobalt kit. It has the usual selection of torx bits but also some really handy prying tools that help to pull scales and such apart without scratching/marring them up. The driver itself could be a bit bigger, it's a little small for breaking screws loose that have thread locker on them but being small also means you're less likely to over torque and strip a screw.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-51-Piec ... 1000035095

Unfortunately it says not sold on their website anymore, but I'm sure there are kits like this out there. Kobalt's bit sizes have always seemed pretty true to size to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:40 pm
Just to add to this topic a bit....some time ago I bought my son a tool kit to work on computers, he has since moved on to bigger and better professional kits so he gave me back this Kobalt kit. It has the usual selection of torx bits but also some really handy prying tools that help to pull scales and such apart without scratching/marring them up. The driver itself could be a bit bigger, it's a little small for breaking screws loose that have thread locker on them but being small also means you're less likely to over torque and strip a screw.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-51-Piec ... 1000035095

Unfortunately it says not sold on their website anymore, but I'm sure there are kits like this out there. Kobalt's bit sizes have always seemed pretty true to size to me.
That little pry bar tool looks super handy...gonna have to search out one of those.
- Julia

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:02 am
I use Wiha equipment. A Stubby and a LiftUp 1/4". Pretty ingenious and well executed.

Side note: the other German tool manufacturer proposed by some of you is from the city that I live in. I am well aware that this forum is for an awesome American company - but Made in Germany is still pretty darn good, too. (Wiha & Wera) ;)
My Mom was "Made in Germany" so I have to agree with you there. :)

I'd like to see a Spyderco co-branded tool set from either of the two you mention above.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I forget to mention that I use and recommend this kit from Felo: Felo 61563 30 Piece Insert Bit Set with Handle

Felo also does Private Label if Spyderco is interested.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

Kels73 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:30 am
I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench on my guns, and I really like it. Admittedly though, I've never used it on knives, so I can't comment on that.
I have a few Felo drivers which work great. I also bought this bit set that works in my Wheeler: HORUSDY 14-Piece Tamper Resistant Star Bits, S2 Steel, T5 - T40 Security Torx Bit Set (14-Piece)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 am
This is what I use most of the time.

Are the torx bits made in Germany or Vietnam? I’ve read reviews where people have said they’ve received bits made in either place. I’m not being elitist, but I’d much rather have my screwdriver bits manufactured in Germany. Some have complained about the Vietnam-made bits not working as well.

Jim
kobold

Post by kobold »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:04 am
I got this one around 6 months ago, I've used it quite a bit and have no complaints. Though lacking the T9 bit is a bit odd, I haven't needed it and thankfully have a cheaper set in that has one if ever needed though.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO09BO ... bit-driver
I use the same one and really like the magnetism, the compactness & the ergos.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10