Best torx wrench set

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Best torx wrench set

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I will say that in failure-prone conditions where red loctite is present or it's on a knife where someone has already partially stripped a screw i'm working on, wiha bits have twisted on me rather than strip the screw. That's the preferable failure mode in my opinion.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

I have a few sets of Wiha & Wera drivers/bits. While they're both very good quality, I have had broken tips(on t6 only) and sum deforming on a few over the years... For the past year though o only use one brand and couldn't be happier, PB Swiss. Very expensive, difficult to find but worth every penny IMO. if u I spend $100 on a set of Torx drivers so that it prevents damage on potentially tens of thousands of dollars worth of knives, it doesn't seem like a bad deal anymore.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 am
I am a big tool junkie and have everything from Snap On to Wiha to Wera to Witte to Felo to Vessel to Bonhus to Harbor Freight! But for drivers and bits I have found PB Swiss to be the best there is. Expensive but totally worth it. Definitely go for the bits and bit holder. Much cheaper to replace a bit than a screwdriver! And the Crosshandle Driver is perfect for knives with loctite. It allows you to turn the driver while applying constant downward pressure so you will likely never strip a screw if you do it right.
I definitely see how this handle shape would be excellent. I may give the PB holder and bits a shot, and also get a set of cheaper Wiha fixed drivers. Sometimes it's nice not to have to fiddle with changing bits.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 for Wiha. I used cheapies for years, but the Wiha torx (and phillips) drivers lock into heads with more confidence and bite.

The Wiha 36291 is my favorite set, with the thicker handles for more control.

wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Wiha. I have taken apart something like 5,000 Spyderco knives and that is all we use and trust.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

My WIHA small bit set goes back so far I can't find a comparable combination on their website. It will be akin to the precision handle sets but has a hex throat to change bits instead of being committed to a fixed driver.

I really like the small handle because it keeps me from over-torquing the screw. Small screws tend to be 18-8 stainless unless you know for certain what you are buying. They can strip out quickly. A driver that does not allow you to load up on the screw head is priceless. Getting one of these small screws out when you've stripped it and you don't have a bit that works, will teach you many things very quickly.

The normal ritual assembly-disassembly process of making a folding knife is a hard stress on these. Sometimes a maker will go through a few sets of screws building a knife, then replacing them at the very end with a brand new group.

Loctite is not a permanent barrier. I've had success even with red loctite by a soak in warm water.

Maybe someone already said this before...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Julia, I have a set of Wiha Picofinish torx screwdrivers though the largest in the set is a T8 so I bought a T10 separately for Military pivots.

The tips are fine glass blasted or etched by the look and the ends are square without a chamfer which affords best purchase, I reckon. They work very well and I’ve been able to disassemble any Spyderco I like without damaging screws.

For what it’s worth, I think the “trick” to not damaging screws is to keep driver plumb and exert more down thrust than torque thus not allowing the driver to twist out of the screw’s driver pocket. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:09 pm

For what it’s worth, I think the “trick” to not damaging screws is to keep driver plumb and exert more down thrust than torque thus not allowing the driver to twist out of the screw’s driver pocket. :)
That's a big reason I want a new set. The cheaper folding set I have doesn't allow for much downward pressure since the wrenches are on pivots.
- Julia

JMM

Post by JMM »

I've been using this Wiha set for a year or so now, best set I've ever seen/had/used by far...

Wiha 36590 Torx Hex Key Set, Wing Handle, 7 Piece - $25
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001 ... UTF8&psc=1
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My Crimson Trace laser grip came with 0.028" hex adjusters for windage and elevation. The hex L wrench they sent with the grip was so worthless they sent two.

After briefly trying the wrench, I stopped and ordered a Wiha 0.028" hex driver. When I got it, I was amazed at how solid it was, machined down from the driver shaft, rather than a pin sized flimsy wrench.

Worked perfectly, precise adjustments of the laser position, and no sense it would ever strip the tiny hex adjusters.

When I need a tool, if Wiha makes one, I buy it.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I bought a 6 pack of Wiha bits only from amazon I think. T5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. I have drivers for the bits

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-71570-Torx- ... 258&sr=8-3
fixall

Post by fixall »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 am
This is what I use most of the time.

Are you me?

This is the exact setup I use 99% of the time. Fantastic tools.

One of my other hobbies is computers so I also have a very comprehensive ifixit kit for when I need speciality bits or a second driver because of a free spinning pivot.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

fixall wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 pm
Dazen wrote:

Are you me?

One of my other hobbies is computers so I also have a very comprehensive ifixit kit for when I need speciality bits or a second driver because of a free spinning pivot.
Thanks a bunch, everyone! The PB bit holder was on backorder until late april, so I ended up ordering this set exactly. Also will probably get a set of the Wiha fixed wrenches mentioned a few times above as well. Thanks to amazon prime they'll be at my door friday and ready to instal the terotuf delica scales that are also on their way. ;) :D
- Julia

Notchlubber

Post by Notchlubber »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 pm
fixall wrote:
Dazen wrote:

Are you me?

Thanks a bunch, everyone! The PB bit holder was on backorder until late april, so I ended up ordering this set exactly. Also will probably get a set of the Wiha fixed wrenches mentioned a few times above as well. Thanks to amazon prime they'll be at my door friday and ready to instal the terotuf delica scales that are also on their way. ;) :D
Awesome, Julia! I'm sure the new set will bring you joy. Nothing like a good set of tools!

If you end up wanting a thinner driver, I've been using ifixit brand drivers with micro wiha bits. Best deal I've found on the drivers is here: https://www.threeriversmfg.com/knives/i ... um-handles . They have really nice bearings at the top and very grippy knurling. If you order one at a time, it's free shipping to boot. Three Rivers' customer service is excellent, as well!

Enjoy your tinkering! :)

-Matt
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Wiha Power Bit Torx set
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 pm
fixall wrote:
Dazen wrote:
Are you me?

Great choice, you won’t be disappointed!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Wiha precision drivers and a couple of wiha flag drivers.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Dazen wrote:

+1 on what Dazen uses, I have the same set up; I added a Winchester firearm screw driver bit set (Walmart, though it is sturdy) as it has very thin flat screw driver bits that fit very nicely between stubborn scales when I'm doing scale updates/swaps.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:

The Torx kit that I got from Benchmade at their booth at the 2004 BLADE Show has really served me well over the years which is quite similar to that one you displayed. But I'm always up for improvement. I would even like to see some type of a multi-tool set up with all those Torx bits in the set up. I've heard from a friend that the SNAP-On tool trucks also offer a Torx kit similar to that one as well. You can not go wrong with Snap-On even though they are a bit pricey.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wright.88 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 am
BONDHUS, 12632, T6-T25 GORILLA GRIP FOLDUP TORX TOOL SET https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7ZLHQ/re ... xEb5T613GH

I’ve had one of these for years and have never stripped a torx screw or any of the tool heads. It’s not the most ergonomic though if you’re using it often.

Also use a leatherman bit kit from my wave and extender which has worked really well.
Yes this is the set I use and never had a stripped driver, compact and cheap
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut