Question for other (Fradon) Manix2 4V owners...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Question for other (Fradon) Manix2 4V owners...

Post by JMM »

So I just got the Manix2 in 4V from Fradon and it is indeed amazing, one of if not the finest examples of the Manix2 series I have ever seen or held...

...But, I am interested in feedback on this, I really like the way the scales LOOK, but I do not like the way they feel, I do actually intend to use this knife. What are other users thoughts on the matter, have you swapped scales, used the beautiful but way to slick ones it came with... something else?

Cheers,

John
TkoK83Spy

Re: Question for other (Fradon) Manix2 4V owners...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I bet you could sell them on the secondary market and get some good money for them, especially from people that are getting the Rex45 sprint but don't like the burnt orange scales.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

I love everything about mine... except one thing. I'm not huge on the saber grind. I've been spoiled with the FFGs and I just know it wont cut as smoothly as others. Even with the preimium steel. Not disappointed i bought it at all.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:42 pm
I bet you could sell them on the secondary market and get some good money for them, especially from people that are getting the Rex45 sprint but don't like the burnt orange scales.
Yeah, I imagine I could sell them in a New York minute on the bay, I saw a pair go for over a Benjamin a few months back... I'm not sure if I want to sell them, just because of the insane amount of money I paid for the knife, but I might, I am interested it hearing a little more from the group before I make up my mind.

Cheers,

John
JMM

Post by JMM »

BLJace wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:44 pm
I love everything about mine... except one thing. I'm not huge on the saber grind. I've been spoiled with the FFGs and I just know it wont cut as smoothly as others. Even with the preimium steel. Not disappointed i bought it at all.
I actually really like the aesthetic look of the sabre/saber grind on the Manix2 series, and I paid, for only the second time in my life, to have a professional seriously hair-whittling edge put on it, and um, well, I've only had it for an hour but it seems to cut amazingly well, but I do understand your point, I know most folks are not fond of the sabre grind on nearly any knife.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Personally I don't think the Manix 2 needs textured scales because the liners are so jimped. I prefer the CF, it's easier on the pocket. Great knife.
JMM

Post by JMM »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Personally I don't think the Manix 2 needs textured scales because the liners are so jimped. I prefer the CF, it's easier on the pocket. Great knife.
I think allot of folks have that preference... personally I just can't abide smooth scales of any material on any of my Manix or Shaman knives, I think it's very much about how I use them -- different strokes...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I actually really love the smooth scales on the Manix. The locked in ergos and jimping are more than enough for me.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:41 pm
I actually really love the smooth scales on the Manix. The locked in ergos and jimping are more than enough for me.
I'm with you on this one. I was hesitant (thankfully went through with the purchase) of the Cruwear exclusive from KC. Even though the scales were smooth, the design of the Manix made them just fine in use. Granted I swapped them with some carbon fiber scales, but that was only because I was bored of black g10. The Manix is one of the few designs that I honestly don't think handle scale materials matter, that baby is locked in!

-Rick
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I ended up deciding to promote my Fradon Lock 4V Manix 2, to get carried on 'gentleman's carry' days. Weddings, Birthdays, NASCAR Races, Funerals, Church, BBQ outings, etc. It loves playing that role! :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:15 pm
I ended up deciding to promote my Fradon Lock 4V Manix 2, to get carried on 'gentleman's carry' days. Weddings, Birthdays, NASCAR Races, Funerals, Church, BBQ outings, etc. It loves playing that role! :spyder:
Heavy duty gents knife, I like your style!

-Rick