Dragonfly XL Proposal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Dragonfly XL Proposal

Post by kennethsime »

So Sal, how's about it? We're already going to get K390 in Japan, how about an XL Dragonfly in K390 and Foliage (or Ranger) Green G-10? :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Re: Dragonfly XL Proposal

Post by Mushroom »

I'm not necessarily against a larger Dragonfly, even though it does seem a bit redundant to me, but I am adamantly against simply taking a model and just scaling it one way or the other.

With that said, I would not support this proposed model.
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think going just slightly under 3" would be more popular than just slightly over 3", for use in restrictive jurisdictions.
JMM

Post by JMM »

It seems to run counter to what makes the Dragonfly what it is, an exceptionally useful knife, that IMO, is the best knife in its size made by any company, and for sure the smallest knife I own... I like the lines and ergos of it, it just doesn't seem super logical to make it bigger just for the sake of doing it.... I'd be interested to hold one and check it out if they ever made one, but I doubt I'd buy it... but who knows, maybe.... ;)

But that 4" stretch, oohhh man sign me up when it's available in a good tool steel!!!!!
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

You could call it the Paradragon! In all seriousness I think the thing that makes the dragonfly work is the small form factor. Scaling up the blade without changing the handle design seems like it wouldn’t be as comfortable as a different handle, and changing the handle design gives you a Caly 3.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

What does scaling up a Dragonfly do that a Chaparral doesn’t?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I remember seeing someone post a custom made fixed blade "dragonfly xl" at one point...gotta say it looked pretty great.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:38 pm
What does scaling up a Dragonfly do that a Chaparral doesn’t?
Add redundancy? :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We've been through this many many many times. Last time around I even made a drawing of a slightly elongated Dfly where the ergonomics remain the same, only the blade is extended and the butt end of the handle extended to accommodate the extra blade length...

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Count me in n for an XL unlike some I have no issue with scaling an existing design in either direction.

Look how great the Native Chief is.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Count me in n for an XL unlike some I have no issue with scaling an existing design in either direction.

The Chief is not just a scaled up Native 5 though. It maintains the exact same ergonomics as the Native 5 and basically just extends the blade and handle. Based on the numerous examples we have of Spyderco actually doing this, the drawing Evil D did seems like exactly how Spyderco would design a larger Dragonfly.

Taking an existing model, simply making it 25% larger, and then releasing it as some new well thought out design is just lazy design and kind of deceptive marketing, in my opinion. It changes everything about the ergonomics of the model

When people asked for a "smaller PM2", I know for a fact people were expecting a scaled down PM2 (Just a certain percentage smaller). This would have completely abandoned the ergonomics of the PM2 that everyone already loved. So, instead, we got the Para 3! It maintains nearly the same ergonomics as the PM2 that were so successful and delivers the smaller size that was being frequently requested. Which in my opinion is the much better solution.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Ric

Post by Ric »

Please do not upscale the blade thickness.
Keep it lightweight.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:03 pm
We've been through this many many many times. Last time around I even made a drawing of a slightly elongated Dfly where the ergonomics remain the same, only the blade is extended and the butt end of the handle extended to accommodate the extra blade length...

100% into this.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:04 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm

The Chief is not just a scaled up Native 5 though. It maintains the exact same ergonomics as the Native 5 and basically just extends the blade and handle. Based on the numerous examples we have of Spyderco actually doing this, the drawing Evil D did seems like exactly how Spyderco would design a larger Dragonfly.

Taking an existing model, simply making it 25% larger, and then releasing it as some new well thought out design is just lazy design and kind of deceptive marketing, in my opinion. It changes everything about the ergonomics of the model

When people asked for a "smaller PM2", I know for a fact people were expecting a scaled down PM2 (Just a certain percentage smaller). This would have completely abandoned the ergonomics of the PM2 that everyone already loved. So, instead, we got the Para 3! It maintains nearly the same ergonomics as the PM2 that were so successful and delivers the smaller size that was being frequently requested. Which in my opinion is the much better solution.

:spyder:
I think this discussion best illustrates the flaw in my proposal above. The Paras 3 & Native Chief are great examples. I never thought the Spyder crew would "ruin" a model by stretching it without taking ergonomics into consideration, but I see now how flawed the design is.

Truth be told, I just wanted to see what a larger D'fly could look like so I opened up illustrator and moved some stuff around. I liked it, and wanted to share.

I like David's design a lot, I would definitely buy one!
Last edited by kennethsime on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Dragonfly ergos are great, if a bigger model with the same feel in hand, Im in
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Theldraskien wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm
You could call it the Paradragon!
How about making it 6" and just calling it "the Dragon"?
:D
—Daniel Jackson
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am a HUGE fan of this idea !
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81569&p=1274354&hil ... y#p1274354

P.S Maybe Sal should consider a flashbatch ... we had a few LIl'-s why not a Large ?
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’d definitely consider buying an Xl Dragonfly
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'd try one out if the size was right(and it had full liners).
JacksonKnives wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:30 am
Theldraskien wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm
You could call it the Paradragon!
How about making it 6" and just calling it "the Dragon"?
:D
Heh, the Dragontanka. I can only imagine!

"Let me just cut open this bag of chips..." *KASWOOSH*

"This letter needs to be opened..." *KASWOOSH*
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ok, what does everyone think about something like this? Came out slightly over 3", and the butt of the handle could be cleaned up a bit, but I'm liking it.

Blade is longer, handle is longer, but your grip won't change at all.