Gayle Bradley

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Gayle Bradley

Post by prndltech »

Anyone else’s have a soft detent? Like... can’t even tell it has one when opening with the thumb and it shakes out real easy?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:21 pm
Anyone else’s have a soft detent? Like... can’t even tell it has one when opening with the thumb and it shakes out real easy?
Can you see the ball? Is it missing? Taichung has a little reputation for soft detents. I have considered deepening the detent hole, but haven't done the mod.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:29 pm
prndltech wrote:
Can you see the ball? Is it missing? Taichung has a little reputation for soft detents. I have considered deepening the detent hole, but haven't done the mod.
Yeah I thought about drilling because the ball doesn’t fully seat in the detent hole but I’d rather not on a BNIB knife
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:02 pm
Enactive wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Yeah I thought about drilling because the ball doesn’t fully seat in the detent hole but I’d rather not on a BNIB knife
The detent on mine is a little weak but I have shake it really hard to get the blade to come out. If yours is that weak you might want to consider sending it in to Spyderco's W&R department. Otherwise the detent mod is really easy to do. I'll probably do mine at some point. I might even add a ceramic detent ball while I have it apart
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 pm
prndltech wrote:
Enactive wrote:
prndltech wrote:
The detent on mine is a little weak but I have shake it really hard to get the blade to come out. If yours is that weak you might want to consider sending it in to Spyderco's W&R department. Otherwise the detent mod is really easy to do. I'll probably do mine at some point. I might even add a ceramic detent ball while I have it apart
I’m not one to mod detents on $100+ knives, this one is like a weak early gen hinderer xm18 detent that the blade will come loose just by you thinking about it. I contacted DLT about an exchange, I’d rather not pay to ship it to Spyderco and wait, honestly.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:58 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 pm
prndltech wrote:
Enactive wrote:

I’m not one to mod detents on $100+ knives, this one is like a weak early gen hinderer xm18 detent that the blade will come loose just by you thinking about it. I contacted DLT about an exchange, I’d rather not pay to ship it to Spyderco and wait, honestly.
All good, I get it. You shouldn't have to. I've had a couple that were too light for my liking. So I just learned to fix them myself. I don't like the hassle of sending stuff back or sending it in to W&R if it's something I can take care of myself in a few minutes at my work bench. It also allows me to tune it to my liking. Hope your next one is better.
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:49 am
please please please bring back the Air!
This.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

My son just bought me a Gayle Bradley 2 from the SFO yesterday. The detent seems pretty good. The detention ball appears to be ceramic. Spyderco may have made some CQI changes.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Detent was pretty weak on mine. I've seen worse on non-Spyderco knives, but this was probably the weakest of any of my :spyder:

I was able to fix it reaming out the detent hole.

Really starting to like this knife. Another one in that 'sweet spot' size category of mine.

Edit: For reaming, used Diamond Grinding Bits 1.5mm Spherical Head for Dremel Rotary Tool froma Amazon, if it helps anyone.

Last edited by anycal on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm happy I bought mine back when they were the best hidden deal in the knife world.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Mine is soft enough that I've considered tweaking the detent but it hasn't bothered me the point where I've actually gone ahead with it. I did fix my Dice which made it heaps better but the detent on a flipper matters a lot more. On the GB I have the pivot quite tight so that helps with the detent. I can still spydieflick it!

/ David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I recently did the detent mod on my Amalgam and it made a world of difference for minimal cost and effort. IMO it is well worth the effort on a knife you are keeping. My Amalgam would self open on a slight shake, now it has one the best detents with decent self close, at least within the limits of the lock design.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jdw

Post by jdw »

The GB2 wasn't available for months and now I have seen a lot of these sold on various forums this last week for far below MAP. It makes me wonder what's up? I have read the about the problems with a weak detent but a lot of these are going really cheap. It's just kind of weird to me that you couldn't find one before and now people almost seem to be dumping them.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I think part of it is that people don't like the liner lock? I just ordered one, should be here Monday (it's at the hub in my town right now... If it only would have arrived an hour earlier!)
It's not a flipper, compression lock, fidget knife, but a work knife. Lots of people into fidget toys and this ain't it.
And I saw a review video where the guy said the design was flawed because there wasn't a relief to unlock the blade, and argued with a commenter about it. I mean, the designer himself said he made it that way to keep from accidentally unlocking while using it, but his wife could unlock it so it's good.

So yea, seems people buy it as jewelry rather a tool and are disappointed when it's not a fidget toy I guess. I'm looking forward to trying mine out!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I liked mine. The liner lock is solid and easy to open if you just take a bit of time to see that you have to get the edge of your thumb, or thumbnail on the release bar. Easy but very difficult to accidentally close. A design feature from Mr Bradley.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jdw wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 am
The GB2 wasn't available for months and now I have seen a lot of these sold on various forums this last week for far below MAP. It makes me wonder what's up? I have read the about the problems with a weak detent but a lot of these are going really cheap. It's just kind of weird to me that you couldn't find one before and now people almost seem to be dumping them.
Hmm not sure what's up. I bought one new when they became available again and I like it more than I thought I would. I still think the first version of the GB is a little nicer but the GB2 is really good. Had I known people would be dumping them maybe I should've kept an eye on the Exchange
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:08 pm
jdw wrote:
Hmm not sure what's up. I bought one new when they became available again and I like it more than I thought I would. I still think the first version of the GB is a little nicer but the GB2 is really good. Had I known people would be dumping them maybe I should've kept an eye on the Exchange
When I ordered mine the only one I could find used was a very well used and patinaed one on ebay. I decided to go new. Then I see a few pop up on Bladeforums, and a bunch on the reddit knife_swap. I'm not cancelling my order but people are letting them go left and right and I really think it's because it's a good working knife design, but not flashy or fidgetty.

Now, I like to fidget with my knives, but I also like a handsome, well built, working knife too. And M4...and hollow ground. Yea...come on Monday!!!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:47 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:08 pm
jdw wrote:
When I ordered mine the only one I could find used was a very well used and patinaed one on ebay. I decided to go new. Then I see a few pop up on Bladeforums, and a bunch on the reddit knife_swap. I'm not cancelling my order but people are letting them go left and right and I really think it's because it's a good working knife design, but not flashy or fidgetty.

Now, I like to fidget with my knives, but I also like a handsome, well built, working knife too. And M4...and hollow ground. Yea...come on Monday!!!
I get what you're saying but I think it's flashy, fidgety, and a good working knife. I think a lot of people held onto them because they weren't available to buy new and they were hoping they'd officially be discontinued and prices would climb on the secondary market. Now that another run was done they decided to dump them
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 pm

I get what you're saying but I think it's flashy, fidgety, and a good working knife. I think a lot of people held onto them because they weren't available to buy new and they were hoping they'd officially be discontinued and prices would climb on the secondary market. Now that another run was done they decided to dump them
Well, I guess it could be fidgety, but I'm thinking people like the compression lock type of fidgeting. I didn't even think about people thinking it was discontinued. One YouTube knife reviewer (influencer? He shouldn't be but that's beside the point...) said it was discontinued, I wonder if that pushed it a bit too. I guess people expected another Slycz Bowie!

Gah! Talking about the GB2 makes me want mine to get here even more.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:12 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Well, I guess it could be fidgety, but I'm thinking people like the compression lock type of fidgeting. I didn't even think about people thinking it was discontinued. One YouTube knife reviewer (influencer? He shouldn't be but that's beside the point...) said it was discontinued, I wonder if that pushed it a bit too. I guess people expected another Slycz Bowie!

Gah! Talking about the GB2 makes me want mine to get here even more.
I don't sit and fidget with my knives like I used to but every once in awhile I'll take the knife I'm carrying out of my pocket or pick up one off my desk and open it and close it a few times just to marvel at how smooth the action is or to hear that sound of it locking up. I'll do that regardless of lock type. Even back locks are fun to do that with