GOAT : Spyderco fejesgörbe bicská

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
talesk

GOAT : Spyderco fejesgörbe bicská

Post by talesk »

It's been long retired (2015?), but this post is a tribute to my favourite pocket knife of all time!

Many thanks to Sal and team for making the Spyderco Hungarian a reality.

After years of use my main hungarian is exemplary. Everything is tight, smooth, and as pleasant to hold and use as the day I opened the box.

The blade steel is well chosen. Xhp is a pleasure to use and sharpen. The slight changes the team did to the traditional fejesgörbe blade are all improvements.

The knife honors the traditional in every way and it excels at in hand paring, food prep, and light utility.

I have 5 now... Main, mint in box collector, backup, one for kid 1, and one for kid 2.

Thanks again for my perfect knife!
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Mushroom

Re: GOAT : Spyderco fejesgörbe bicská

Post by Mushroom »

Awesome to see you carrying a Hungarian as an EDC and really putting it to work! I have one that's dedicated as a gentlemans carry, because of how beautiful it is! I can't bring myself to carry it as an EDC. (Carried last at a friends wedding)

I've also expressed how much I like the Hungarian in the past. It's a real sleeper model in my opinion. The highly refined details make me want to baby it but the design really begs to be put to use! The ergonomics are surprisingly comfortable and the 3D machined scales only help to emphasize that.

I also saw that the recently announced "Astute" model in Reveal 4 was also designed by Gábor Szakonyi. I'm definitely going to be giving that model a try!
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Also, Gábor Szakonyi posted a version of the Hungarian he designed that he referred to as the "Hungarian Lightweight." It's a little bit more utilitarian than it's predecessor and would definitely put it in that EDC category for me.
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 pm
Also, Gábor Szakonyi posted a version of the Hungarian he designed that he referred to as the "Hungarian Lightweight." It's a little bit more utilitarian than it's predecessor and would definitely put it in that EDC category for me.
Wow, I really love the look of Mr. Szakonyi's lightweight version! The Hungarian is a beautiful design, but sadly it came and went before Spyderco's more exotic designs were really on my radar. I'm really looking forward to the new Astute, however, and hopefully we see even more from Mr. Szakonyi and Spyderco in the future!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm
I also saw that the recently announced "Astute" model in Reveal 4 was also designed by Gábor Szakonyi. I'm definitely going to be giving that model a try!
The astute now has my attention!

I haven't really paid much attention to the budget line but I think I need to. Lots of great designs in there.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
In the mail:
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Mine has slight vertical play. I sent it in and they said it was within spec but they could try to bend the lockbar and I said not to mess with it. It's a really nice knife. I think it would have looked a bit nicer if the spine had a swedge or was crowned, but overall it feels great in hand and cuts really well.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

When my son was born I wanted one of these (my son is Hungarian), but the prices are prohibitive.

I put aside the knife I was carrying the moment he was born, an all black SE Native to pass it on to him when he will be ready.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My Hungarians:

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
archangel

Post by archangel »

The original Hungarian is a beauty, but not 100% my taste. The Hungarian Lightweight however... I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was available and pricingwise in my range....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
talesk

Post by talesk »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:59 am
When my son was born I wanted one of these (my son is Hungarian), but the prices are prohibitive.
You can get lucky on eBay these days. The model isn't well known and sometimes go for cheap.

Beware clones! Lots of clones of this model.
In the mail:
talesk

Post by talesk »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:08 am
My Hungarians:

Beautiful!
In the mail:
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

talesk wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 am
tonijedi wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:59 am
You can get lucky on eBay these days. The model isn't well known and sometimes go for cheap.

Beware clones! Lots of clones of this model.
I know about the fakes, there was a time they were everywhere...
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

So, what you're saying is that you're Hungary for a re-release?
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

NickShabazz wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Badum-dum-ching! :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
talesk

Post by talesk »

NickShabazz wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Yes! This time in white.

But, I'll settle for a spyderco slysz swayback in 2020.

In the mail:
hun

Post by hun »

talesk wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 pm
It's been long retired (2015?), but this post is a tribute to my favourite pocket knife of all time...
Hi talesk, thanks for your words. It's the craftsmen excellence who developed and handcrafting this folder for hundreds of years. There is a "fejesgörge" with a sun motive in Larry Mott post made by Ferenc Kocsis. It's a masterpiece. He is one of the best makers in Hungary.
Gábor