Manix rex 45 chips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Npm

Manix rex 45 chips

Post by Npm »

So this was my first real investment in a knife and intro to spyderco. It's a beautiful knife.

This is the first day I got it and I cut some canvas that had some dried glue in it on top of a wood surface. This took off a small piece of the tip, small enough to be sharpened out. Later I cut through that packaging that's cardboard and plastic molded around the product (that evil stuff). I cut in a downward motion and didn't touch anything that wasn't packaging. This left a small chip on the blade. Again, small enough that it can be sharpened.

Is this a factory edge problem that will go away with sharpening? Or should I be worried that I got a bad one? I can post zoomed in pictures if anybody wants.
VooDooChild

Re: Manix rex 45 chips

Post by VooDooChild »

Im thinking/hoping factory edge should be the issue. Considering how much people have beat on other rex 45 spydercos, as well as hap40 and other stuff, then it seems like it shouldnt be chipping like that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I used the **** out of my REX PM2 factory edge last year with no issues
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sure sounds like a factory edge issue. It's my understanding that rex45 has pretty great edge stability. Fingers crossed because I bought that knife, too!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

My Rex 45 shaman chipped pretty bad on staple in one of those plastic double sided clam shells. I sharpened out some of it before giving up, figured it's a user anyways.

Just kind of waiting to see as I bought 2 of the pakawood rex 45 shaman and scored a orange manix. I have a love hate relationship with my toku-v (awesome edge yet scratched to ****).
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Npm

Post by Npm »

So upon looking at it further, the part of the blade that chipped has quite an uneven grind, one bevel is almost half the size of the other. I'll update when its re profiled if I can do it.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've used my Para3 Rex45 really hard, harder than any other Para3 I own, and I have been using the TreeRex pretty heavily since I got it, I have never seen or actually heard of what you're describing with Rex45 -- I certainly haven't experienced it with the old run or new run of Rex45, I have a Manix2 in Rex45 coming today (fingers crossed) or Monday, I will certainly keep an eye out for what you're describing. Can you capture it in a picture by chance?
Npm

Post by Npm »

JMM wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:23 pm
I've used my Para3 Rex45 really hard, harder than any other Para3 I own, and I have been using the TreeRex pretty heavily since I got it, I have never seen or actually heard of what you're describing with Rex45 -- I certainly haven't experienced it with the old run or new run of Rex45, I have a Manix2 in Rex45 coming today (fingers crossed) or Monday, I will certainly keep an eye out for what you're describing. Can you capture it in a picture by chance?
I cant figure out how to upload images directly, but here's an imgur album. Hopefully that's ok.

http://imgur.com/gallery/KXoXmFE

They're quite small, but from what I have seen, I dont think it should be acting like this. Notice between the first and second picture, the factory bevel is pretty uneven. Maybe that's causing issues?
willc

Post by willc »

I am betting after a couple complete sharpenings you won’t have this problem anymore.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Was it factory wire edge?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

My Shaman came with a little burr, which I removed with a couple passes on a coarse DMT stone and some strops, before using the knife. Since then, I've used the edge to scrape rust off a part, prying staples out of cardboard(which tested the edge further) and the edge has come into contact with multiple solid objects, with enough velocity to chip or roll most other steels. So far, no edge damage.

This is why I always give a brand new knife some edge love before using it.

Usually a burr or wire edge is the culprit. Hopefully you get it figured out and can enjoy your knife.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I've learned to never, ever judge a knife steel from its factory sharpened edge.
It doesn't surprise me that little bit of tip broke off.
I think that chip was caused by something the rest of the blade did not come in contact with.
The rest of the edge still looks pretty ragged.
With continued sharpening and use, I bet it holds up much better, that's been my experience anyway.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:33 am
Was it factory wire edge?
That’s what I was thinking.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Npm

Post by Npm »

I didn't see a wire edge, but of course I only paid attention after it was used. Tomorrow I will be reprofiling and sharpening it, then I will test it again on similar cutting tasks and update you guys. Hoping it's just a factory edge goof.
Npm

Post by Npm »

I'm happy to update everyone that after removing 1.5 - 2 full sharpenings worth of material, the edge and tip are both holding up to semi abusive tests. I stuck the very tip in wood and tried to flick up chunks of wood and the tip is still micro pointy. Cut some hard wood and tried to pry the edge to try to snap it, and it's still shaving hair. I even put a pretty ugly edge on the thing as I'm new to freehand sharpening.

Thanks for the input guys! It seems like they did well with this sprint run other than my factory edge.
JMM

Post by JMM »

My Rex45 Manix2 arrived yesterday and it needed a bit of love out of the box, but after a couple minutes with the brown, then white on the ol' sharpmaker, it's absolutely on point. Wooooohooo!

Cheers,

John
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Npm wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:22 pm
I'm happy to update everyone that after removing 1.5 - 2 full sharpenings worth of material, the edge and tip are both holding up to semi abusive tests. I stuck the very tip in wood and tried to flick up chunks of wood and the tip is still micro pointy. Cut some hard wood and tried to pry the edge to try to snap it, and it's still shaving hair. I even put a pretty ugly edge on the thing as I'm new to freehand sharpening.

Thanks for the input guys! It seems like they did well with this sprint run other than my factory edge.
Very good to hear! Thanks for reporting back.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.