New to this with old questions and concerns

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
79bolo

New to this with old questions and concerns

Post by 79bolo »

ResizerImage863X1540.jpg
ResizerImage744X1324.jpg
ResizerImage592X1051.jpg
ResizerImage562X998.jpg
ResizerImage481X854.jpg
ResizerImage444X788.jpg
ResizerImage421X747.jpg
ResizerImage391X694.jpg
ResizerImage270X479.jpg
ResizerImage357X637.jpg
ResizerImage295X524.jpg
Hi.I decided to get myself a EDC knife and after little research choice was made.I bought brand new PM2 from guy on eBay.I asked if if knife is legit and he said yes.I received package and looks like clip was moved from tip up to tip down position and G10 have some scratches(so much for"brand new").Box also was missing brochure but letter was in the box.Knife by it self look solid but lanyard hole is not all black.I don't know if it should be.I think it's authentic but plz let me what you all think.
Other thing I have silicon based gun lube"freedom lube"It is ok for knifes?Last thing is what is best way to sharpen that bad boy?Thanks.
sal

Re: New to this with old questions and concerns

Post by sal »

Hi 79bolo,

Welcome to our forum.

From the pics, it looks legit, but it's getting really hard too tell. I'd like to hear what others say. If you are really concerned, you can shoot it to us and Charlynn can verify?

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

79bolo wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:53 pm
I received package and looks like clip was moved from tip up to tip down position and G10 have some scratches(so much for"brand new").
Hey, Bolo.
I'm left handed, so any knife I carry is going to get the clip moved before I can put it to use. And yeah, if you look closely, there's always some scuffing underneath. But since I buy a knife to use, it's only a matter of time before it gets scuffed up even more. As long as you got a fair price, then I wouldn't worry. Enjoy the new PM2.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:13 pm
Hi 79bolo,

Welcome to our forum.

From the pics, it looks legit, but it's getting really hard too tell. I'd like to hear what others say. If you are really concerned, you can shoot it to us and Charlynn can verify?

sal
Thank you for welcoming and offer of verification!If someone going to suspect it is a counterfeit I definitely will take that offer.I took knife apart :rolleyes: And turned out screws have blue loctite on them.Pivot and washers was dirty (definitely not new knife).I cleaned, lube it put it back together and action on it is amazing.If that knife is fake someone should go to jail for it.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

RustyIron wrote: As long as you got a fair price, then I wouldn't worry. Enjoy the new PM2.
At the time it was hahaha.Blade HQ have them on sale for 130$ right now.I definitely would get one from them for that price but I pay 105$ and if it is real deal it would be no regrets .I cleaned ,oiled and adjusted that mean thing.Opened couple hundred times and I love it.As I wrote in reply to Sal if it is fake that's would suck for everyone because that knife feel so solid.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Notches on the liners tell the story. It's a legit pm2. Use it and enjoy it. The PM2 is a wonderful knife.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'd like to know more about the letter that was enclosed in the box. I was under the impression that only Sprints and Exclusives came with a letter; none of my stock models came with one anyway. So what does this letter say? Oh and welcome to the forum!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new knife!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi 79bolo

Welcome to Spydieland!

Yours looks like the real deal to me. A friend thought he was doing me a favor a few years ago and he sent me a PM2 knock off from China. It looked pretty good to the untrained eye but the action was nothing like a real PM2. I guess that guy did do me a favor because it made me want to get a real PM2. I bought a used C81GBK2 just like yours except mine was made 6 months later. The real one was so much better than the fake one.

You questioned the lanyard tube on yours. I've since sold mine (replaced it with the same knife but OD green scales) but I still have the sale pics. The chamfer on the ends are unfinished but the rest of the tube is black. Hard to tell about the inside of the tube but using a flashlight you should be able see that it's black inside. The outside (look between the scales) is definitely black. Pics on Knife Center confirm. My OD green one with DLC blade and black hardware is the same.

Enjoy your new PM2. If you bought it for $105 then you got a fair deal even if it's actually used
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 am

You questioned the lanyard tube on yours. I've since sold mine (replaced it with the same knife but OD green scales) but I still have the sale pics. The chamfer on the ends are unfinished but the rest of the tube is black. Hard to tell about the inside of the tube but using a flashlight you should be able see that it's black inside. The outside (look between the scales) is definitely black. Pics on Knife Center confirm. My OD green one with DLC blade and black hardware is the same.

Yes only chamfer is unfinished rest is black.Ty for assuring:)
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

bearrowland wrote:Welcome aboard and enjoy your new knife!
soc_monki wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:42 am
Notches on the liners tell the story. It's a legit pm2. Use it and enjoy it. The PM2 is a wonderful knife.
Awesome Thank you guys!
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:14 am
I'd like to know more about the letter that was enclosed in the box. I was under the impression that only Sprints and Exclusives came with a letter; none of my stock models came with one anyway. So what does this letter say? Oh and welcome to the forum!
Hey JonLeBlanc! Ty for welcoming. That's letter it was in the box
ResizerImage532X948.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Probably you just mixed things up accidently anyway, but you write: "The clip was moved from tip up to tip down position" (and that would be a sign for the knife not being brand new) : Actually the PM2 comes from the factory in tip DOWN configuration (and yours in the pics is tip UP right now).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

79bolo wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:29 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:14 am
Hey JonLeBlanc! Ty for welcoming. That's letter it was in the box ResizerImage532X948.jpg
Ah interesting, I was unaware of those letters! Enjoy ur knife, looks like the consensus is it's legit.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Probably you just mixed things up accidently
It wasn't accident,it was lock of experience. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

79bolo wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Probably you just mixed things up accidently
It wasn't accident,it was lock of experience. :D

:p :p

I am sure you´ll gain a lot of experience by enjoying your PM2 and probably some more Spydies that will come eventually... :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

Wartstein wrote: I am sure you´ll gain a lot of experience by enjoying your PM2 and probably some more Spydies that will come eventually...
Funny you mention that.I already thinking about something to carry at work and my kids seeing me breaking in pm2 asked me to get them knives lol
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Oh yes, spyders tend to multiply quickly. Before you know it you'll have 10...no idea what happened, they'll just appear. That's how it was for me. Tenacious first, then a Resilience. Decided to try a Manix 2, and a Manix 2 lightweight, Para 3, Sage 5, Amalgam, Persistence, Para 3 lightweight...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

79bolo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:15 am
Wartstein wrote: I am sure you´ll gain a lot of experience by enjoying your PM2 and probably some more Spydies that will come eventually...
Funny you mention that.I already thinking about something to carry at work and my kids seeing me breaking in pm2 asked me to get them knives lol

Man, it has been 100% clear that things would go this way... :D !!!

/ I KNOW you´ll want to discuss this eventually anyway :D so let me just start right now:

If "something to carry at work" means something smaller than the PM2 I´d strongly recommend a Chaparral FRN (or, if you want to lay down a bit more money, the upcoming and imho very cool sun and moon Chaparral): Very slim in pocket, great, thin,slicey blade, and imho perfect ergos and design for such a small folder
If you want to stay closer to the PM 2 (thicker blade stock, compression lock...) I personally would recommend the Sage 5 LW over the otherwise obvious choice Para 3. But that´s just me, many love the Para 3 obviously

I hope you´ll forgive for answering a question you did no ask... :o ;)

/ And may I ask: How old are your kids? More in the "toy" age, or can they already be trusted with knives?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:32 am
Oh yes, spyders tend to multiply quickly. Before you know it you'll have 10...no idea what happened, they'll just appear. That's how it was for me. Tenacious first, then a Resilience. Decided to try a Manix 2, and a Manix 2 lightweight, Para 3, Sage 5, Amalgam, Persistence, Para 3 lightweight...
We posted just about the same at just about the same time... ;)

But it really is just how it always goes: I for example started out with the plan to find just ONE quality folder to be my only EDC... and though Spyderco indeed MAKES a lot of knives that could fullfill that role, there is just no way to to stick to only one... :o