Mr. Lester DeAsis passes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Mr. Lester DeAsis passes

Post by sal »

I am sorry to inform you that Mr.Lester DeAsis has passed away. Lester was the founder and owner of Benchmade knife company. He was a passionate, knowledgeable and worthy competitor and we will miss him.

I first met Lester in the late 70's when we were selling our Sharpmakers at consumer shows. We also were selling his Butterfly knives which we used to demonstrate and sell along with our sharpeners. This was before we made knives. We continued to sell his butterfly knives well into the 80's.

At one time, Les and I had considered going into a partnership in a knife factory, but the legality of Butterfly knives was turning and he decided to build his factory on Oregon where switch-blades were legal ( Butterfly knives are considered switch-blades ). We elected to build our factory in Golden.

Lester pioneered the resurrection of Butterfly knives in America. He's in the Cutlery Hall of Fame for his accomplishments.

Our condolences to his family, friends and crew. May he rest in peace.

sal
blues

Re: Mr. Lester DeAsis passes

Post by blues »

Sad to hear this. I had some pleasant conversations with him in years past and still have a handful of the iconic models produced.
- Retired from the chase -
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Thank you for this sad new. I will carry a Benchmade the rest of the weekend to remind me of the impact he made on the knife community.

Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
jdw

Post by jdw »

To me, he was an icon in the industry and one of a handful of people who helped it progress to where it is today. May he rest well.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Heard about this last night. Sad day for the knife community
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Thank you Sal.
RIP Les. You have left a much loved mark, on this Earth.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Very sad day, indeed. Wishing for comfort and solace to the many, many people who love him.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Very sad news, and it sounds like you lost a friend, Sal. Very cool you got to know him, but of course not surprising as you are both kings of the industry. I like a lot of Benchmade designs and own a few, and they've driven the industry as much as any company for as long as I've known. I only hope I could look back on such a successful life, he's got a lot to be proud of and I'm sorry he couldn't hang around a little longer. Thank you for all your hard work, Mr. DeAsis!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

BM and Spyderco were always the two production knife companies that made the products that most intrigued me. RIP to a legend
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Never met the man. I started carrying his knives in the 80's or 90's, and still would be if I hadn't become a Spyderco fan. I wish is family and friends wellness in this difficult time.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sorry to hear. Condolences to family and friends.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

It is always painful to the heart to read of the passing of accomplished people who contributed so much to any and all fields of endeavor.

Just last night I was going over my knife collection deciding what to keep, what to sell.

Oddly enough I came upon two boxes.

One was my Spyderco Jumpmaster I recently gifted to my plumber who is an avid hunter and fisherman.

The other was my only Benchmade.

The Nestucca cleaver. I looked at it thought of the Deacon and something was tugging my heart. Odd I just stared at it absorbed and said don’t worry my friend you are home, you are not going anywhere ever.

Then I wondered about why so such strong sentiment and put the box up remembering all the meals I have prepared with it.

Today I read this sad news and wonder at the connectivity and sanctity of life and the strangeness of the universe.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

My condolences to his family and friends.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Condolences to family and friends. I enjoyed the Benchmades I have bought. He leaves behind quite a legacy.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Spyderco & Benchmade make up a majority of the knives I own. By whatever circumstance a Benchmade was in my pocket during the birth of both my sons - Benchmade 330 for my oldest & a Benchmade 940 for my youngest. Once they hit 21 I plan on giving them their birth knives. I also carried a Benchmade Emerson CQC-7 during my time in the Army. Saddened to hear of his passing, but he left one **** of a legacy in the knife world.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I cut my premium knife loving teeth on Benchmade models before I got my first Spyderco. Spyderco obviously became my ultimate favorite over the years but I still kept a few of the older Benchmade knives.

I met Les DeAsis a couple of times and he was a real gentleman and fun to chat with. I just hope the BM company will remain in good hands. Competition from other premium companies is truly healthy for the overall market. But Mr. De Asis will be missed by many.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Tragic news for sure, we've lost an icon.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Condolences to his friends and family. :(
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Condolences to the DeAsis family and the larger Benchmade family. Spyderco and Benchmade were the established major players of the higher end US knife industry when I got into knives, and they were the knives I aspired to own in my early days of knife collecting. I very much appreciate the contributions Mr. deAsis brought to the industry through Benchmade. May he rest in peace.