Buy a blurple PM2 now, or wait for the 2020 releases?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CalRob

Buy a blurple PM2 now, or wait for the 2020 releases?

Post by CalRob »

I have a chance to buy a brand new, in box PM2 blurple s110v for about $250 cad/190 usd.

I really want this knife, had it in my hand today. But I’d feel slighted if a better value version came out soon.

Any thoughts?
Wartstein

Re: Buy a blurple PM2 now, or wait for the 2020 releases?

Post by Wartstein »

CalRob wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:51 am
I have a chance to buy a brand new, in box PM2 blurple s110v for about $250 cad/190 usd.

I really want this knife, had it in my hand today. But I’d feel slighted if a better value version came out soon.

Any thoughts?

Not sure if I understand your question: Do you mean if a "better value version" of the S110V PM2 will come out (certainly not) or a "better value version" of the PM2 generally (that really depends on your preferences and what you're looking for in knives or especially steels... for example for ME personally the "base" S30V version would be a better value by far, for someone who is more into steels probably not...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I carry my blurple PM 2 more than my Coyote S35 VN model if that helps. If you really want to try one of the new steels I would wait, but you won’t regret the blurple one. It’s an outstanding design and steel. Considering the S110 V, I think Spydies with that steel represent excellent value.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

CalRob wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:51 am

Any thoughts?
I’d err on the side of waiting if I were you. $190US is a lot of money for something you are obviously not 100% on. But, if you are building a collection, you may as well get it now, because you’ll get one later anyway.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd wait for the S45VN Sprint with the unique texture and color handle. I'm not sure that S45VN is a better steel than S110V, but that sprint will certainly be more collectible, and definitely something different with the new machined handle texture.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blurple will at least be there until after you see what's coming, I would hold out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm also unsure what a "better value version" means. That's about the normal street price for a knife that's in stock at most vendors. Are you talking about a different steel?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

Steels will come and go and so will models. Will your PM2 be less effective tomorrow compared to today? I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a handful of S110V Spydercos and it's easily one of my top steels- keen, surprisingly easy to touch up, and zips through miles of cardboard. But I also have a lot of the same models in "lesser" steels too. I carry those as well.

That said I looked at your post history and I definitely wouldn't pick S110V for cutting PVC, if that ever crossed your mind! There are a lot of people who have broken S110V blades with hard torquing.