Spyderco Siren Release Date?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Spyderco Siren Release Date?

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m a die hard tool steel fan, but I have a Salt for swimming, going to the beach, yard work etc. I’ll be picking one of these up! “Stainsless” is meh, but “can’t rust” is a whole different ballgame!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:36 pm
So how is the backlock performance on the Siren? Does it rival the Native, or exceed it? I’ve read the Native is the pinnacle of Spyderco’s backlock.

I'd be interested in this too.

While I am totally fine with the performance and function of the Endura family / Pac Salt backlock, the Native backlock is so perfectly done that it is just a joy to use and experience (only the Chap backlock plays in the same league out of all backlocks I tried)

So: Though functionally not necessary imho, a Native like perfect backlock would make the Siren even more attractive to me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:45 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
So how is the backlock performance on the Siren? Does it rival the Native, or exceed it? I’ve read the Native is the pinnacle of Spyderco’s backlock.

While I am totally fine with the performance and function of the Endura family / Pac Salt backlock, the Native backlock is so perfectly done that it is just a joy to use and experience (only the Chap backlock plays in the same league out of all backlocks I tried)

So: Though functionally not necessary imho, a Native like perfect backlock would make the Siren even more attractive to me.
You will be pleased with this one. The lock on the Siren is every bit as good as the Native, if not better.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

blueblur wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:45 am
Woodpuppy wrote:

You will be pleased with this one. The lock on the Siren is every bit as good as the Native, if not better.
+1 The back lock on the Siren is the smoothest back lock I’ve seen with Spyderco and beats that on the Native hands down
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Mine is still on preorder. Really really looking forward to this guy. Should be a near perfect folder for me.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

On a Japan vs Golden backlock.
I have both samples and the Golden backlock has a better finish, the H is in one line, lockbar perfectly matches blade tang, which I cant say about my Police and Pacific Salt, on both of them the blade tang is higher then a lockbar.

But there are also mechanical differences. Golden backlock has some more angles on both blade tang and lockbar. Also, the travel on the lockbar is greater on Golden backlock, meaning that you have to depress it more to unlock.....which could translate in more surface contact and more strenght....maybe.
But the Golden one has a weaker spring, I had a theory that spring on my Police 4 has served as a Toyota Land Cruiser rear leaf spring before it was put in my knife :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Mugman16

Post by Mugman16 »

any word on when bladehq will drop theirs?
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

Mugman16 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 pm
any word on when bladehq will drop theirs?
I am pretty sure most dealers, especially the big ones like BHQ, have already shipped out the first batch that they got in. Obviously it was not enough to satisfy all of the preorders. I myself am still waiting on KnifeCenter. Others have gotten theirs by what I've seen online, but I guess I am further down the list. Gotta wait for Spyderco to make more.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m waiting too, I really want to try this steel and model.
mrchimpy

Post by mrchimpy »

This is my favorite spyderco! Thank you everyone involved :)

Ti scales with a less pronounced finger guard would be AMAAAAZING... :D