Spyderco Siren Release Date?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty

Re: Spyderco Siren Release Date?

Post by Monty »

Well after a few days I still really like the Siren but I've been carrying combo edge or fully serrated knives so long now it's a little difficult to wrap my head around swapping back to plain edge for EDC (even my crucarta shaman didn't last long in pocket). First world problems I know. Maybe there's a combo edge destined for the future so I can rest easier?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/QM8TT5W57RY
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Just received mine today! So happy with the job Spyderco did with the Siren!

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 pm

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3X8ppOC.jpg
That must feel great, Lance! A big congrats to you, Chad and Spyderco.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:39 pm
Accutronman wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:18 pm
mrchimpy wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:18 pm
I'm sorry to hijack this thread with my issue but I can only imagine other lefties will likely deal with this as well. The post on the chicago screw is just firmly stuck inside the G10. I have NO idea how to get it out.

I'd really like to be able to reverse this clip. It shouldn't be this difficult.

LAST EDIT: I used a torch and hammered the loosened clip screw into the post. The post finally gave enough for me to sneak the wire clip under it and retighten the screw. A little disappointed but at least it's done now. If you're a leftie you have your work cut out for you (could just be my copy).
+1...Absolutely impossible to get the screw out to reverse it
Hey guys, I just got mine today and switched it. I’m not a lefty but I wanted to see how hard it was to switch. I loosened the screw a bit to where the screw head was exposed a little past the scales, then I removed the clip and flipped the knife over on a marble countertop and pushed down and the post moved up enough to insert the clip. It is indeed snug and requires a little bit of downward pressure but there were definitely no hammers required. I think this is probably safer and more effective than any type of punch or hammering. I had the clip switched in under 60 seconds. Hope this helps.

- If you use this technique be careful to loosen the screw only a little so as to minimize the chance of damaging the threads when you push.
+15!!...Lance, you were a lifesaver on this solution. Also, took me less than a minute. Many thanks!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Accutronman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:32 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:39 pm
Accutronman wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:18 pm
mrchimpy wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:18 pm
I'm sorry to hijack this thread with my issue but I can only imagine other lefties will likely deal with this as well. The post on the chicago screw is just firmly stuck inside the G10. I have NO idea how to get it out.

I'd really like to be able to reverse this clip. It shouldn't be this difficult.

LAST EDIT: I used a torch and hammered the loosened clip screw into the post. The post finally gave enough for me to sneak the wire clip under it and retighten the screw. A little disappointed but at least it's done now. If you're a leftie you have your work cut out for you (could just be my copy).
+1...Absolutely impossible to get the screw out to reverse it
Hey guys, I just got mine today and switched it. I’m not a lefty but I wanted to see how hard it was to switch. I loosened the screw a bit to where the screw head was exposed a little past the scales, then I removed the clip and flipped the knife over on a marble countertop and pushed down and the post moved up enough to insert the clip. It is indeed snug and requires a little bit of downward pressure but there were definitely no hammers required. I think this is probably safer and more effective than any type of punch or hammering. I had the clip switched in under 60 seconds. Hope this helps.

- If you use this technique be careful to loosen the screw only a little so as to minimize the chance of damaging the threads when you push.
+15!!...Lance, you were a lifesaver on this solution. Also, took me less than a minute. Many thanks!
Glad it worked for you. The barrel is indeed snug but so is all the hardware. Lockup on both of mine is rock solid too. I take all this as evidence of the tight tolerances Spyderco is achieving with their Golden models. :spyder:
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

Received my Siren today. Awesome fit and finish. I’m really amazed at how grippy the scales are. Can’t wait to take it fishing once all the beaches reopen. I liked it so much I immediately went online and ordered a second one. Nice job Lance and Spyderco!
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I had to check 8 sites before I could find a place that had them in stock. St. Nicks still has a few if anyone else is looking for one. Looking forward to checking it out.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I just noticed that St. Nick's Knives has 4 in stock at the moment, and House of Blades says the Siren is "in stock".
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Still waiting for them to be in stock from my preorder...
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

9167966E-8C92-4ABD-8C4C-5D45BA79EE34.jpeg
olywa

Post by olywa »

Received mine late last week. Superb fit and finish, great ergos, and very grippy texture. The edge was sharp but sorta sawtooth, and the grind very uniform and even. It's now polished and hair-whittling sharp. I was pleased how little work it took to get it there. I used it pretty heavily over the weekend, breaking down heavy cardboard, trimming branches and prepping veggies in the kitchen. This knife does well in many areas. I can't wait to carve a salmon or two with it. This is also my first experience with LC200N and I'm pretty impressed.

Lance, if you're following, I'm curious if you ever considered going with an open back framelock design? Considering all the blood and gore it will collect in butchering big fish, it might clean up a little easier. Or is the backlock LC200N as well, and not a concern?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

So how is the backlock performance on the Siren? Does it rival the Native, or exceed it? I’ve read the Native is the pinnacle of Spyderco’s backlock.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Looking forward to seeing the action pics.
Monty

Post by Monty »

How is the "bias towards close" on everyone else's siren? Mine seems light for a lockback, I don't have anything to measure it definitively but it is surprisingly easy to flick open for a backlock and doesn't want to pull shut on itself until fairly close to the handle. Perhaps not the best way to demonstrate this but just for comparison, here is next to a pac salt, both of them closed just enough to stay open for the photo without snapping shut.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I got mine today. Congrats Lance on another great collaboration, it’s a great design. Spyderco nailed it too.

I added a finger choil to mine because when I went to close the blade by dropping it shut on my index finger, the blade cut me. I close all my lockbacks like that because there is usually a guard of some kind. I should have been more careful, my fault. The choil gives a bit more clearance for my finger to catch the blade without getting cut. I also added the new Lynch wireclip replacement clip.

Some quick photos at home.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey LC, sorry you got bit. We tried to maximize the cutting edge so you do have to make sure your finger is firmly against the guard before you drop the blade. I’m not a bit fan of sharpening Choils but that one looks very nice!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Posted on another site if that is allowed.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... t=14930769
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I received mine yesterday and the execution is top notch. I’m impressed with how solid the lock and action are, right out of the box. The grippy G10 is a nice change from the standard texture and the blue liners really pop. Photos don’t do the accented liners justice and this may help draw attention to more black handled models in the future. I love the black hardware and am still surprised how smooth the action is. The blade just drops when released like a compression lock. If you’re on the fence about back locks, give this one a try.

Woodpuppy, I only have one native, the smooth Cruwear variant and I’d say this action is a little better than it. In all reality they are probably the same but the size difference makes the Siren seem better to me. The blade drops on both when released but the longer, larger blade of the Siren works to its advantage here.

The one thing I was slightly worried about, especially with such a free swinging blade, was having enough of a ricasso to close one handed. I think Lance did a great job striking the right balance of maximizing the edge length but still allowing enough ricasso to prevent cutting yourself when closing with one hand. There isn’t a ton of room for error but once you get down the correct muscle memory you’ll be fine.

I don’t need a highly corrosion resistant knife for my daily uses but I’ll be carrying this one for a while because the design and execution.

Awesome job Lance and Spyderco!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Field testing every day. Very pleased with the job Spyderco did with the design. I’ve had mine on the water every day and it is looking to be just as bullet proof as all of the salt knives. I’ve had it covered in salt and blood 6 hours a day for the last two weeks and have purposely put it away wet and dirty most days just to torture it and see if I could make it squeal. Not a so much as a peep! I finally washed the salt off last night and made breakfast with it this morning. Still looks and performs like it’s brand new. Gotta love what Spyderco does with their Salt knives!