Spyderco Siren Release Date?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knife__bro69

Re: Spyderco Siren Release Date?

Post by knife__bro69 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:33 am
It probably takes more to make a production Salt knife than most of us realize. I’m mostly just guessing but I think that the delay on this one has possibly been a result of making sure that every aspect and component of the Siren is fully worthy of the “Salt knife” designation. Sometimes it takes a little longer than expected to do things right. I’m as impatient as the next guy but if I have to choose, I’ll always take “right” over “fast”. Last word I heard from Spyderco was soon.
Oh of course! I was just wondering if the release date was this month or later on. Basically just for financial reasons.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Great points mrtodd777 which is precisely why I think there is a problem with the process.

I know Spyderco is trying to be more timely with the Reveal concept which meant that the knives they reveal should ship within a few months of the reveal.

It just still doesn't seem to be working. IMHO If the products were not revealed AT ALL until all those issues you spoke of were resolved then people would get what they are waiting for faster. Or it would feel that way to customers and and be a better customer experience. I convinced my boss to pre-order a Siren. He is not a Spyderco fanatic like me but asks every week when his knife will ship. The only answer is I don't know. As a normal customer who just wants a cool knife from a cool company he has reason to be frustrated.

I would prefer to not even know that a new Spyderco exists until they know the stock will there, the machine shop has has the bandwidth and finished product is imminent (I know more is involved). Then Reveal it. Then I can pre-order it. Then it will show up in my mailbox before I forgot I that I ordered it all together.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
Thank you for your interest in the Siren. We know there are a lot of people who are anxious for its release. It's important to note that even with the best-laid plans, things can come up in a production environment that can cause a delay. If we had a working crystal ball, well, first of all, how cool would that be? But seriously, the choice to reveal something is based on our absolute best information and with the best of intentions.

There were many reasons that we changed how we release products. It wasn't something that we did lightly. I think we also mentioned that it's a work in progress. We are striving to do better and all things considered, I think we've done fairly well given the number of new releases we send out in any given year. Just the same though, we're listening and we are constantly evaluating our process. Hang in there with us.

As for the Siren, based on our current schedule we anticipate it will start shipping in late March/early April. That's not what we hoped for, but that is reality. We're excited for the Siren and we believe it will be worth the wait.

Thanks much for your continued support and interest!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

TazKristi, thanks for the update! It helps to know where we stand *today*, with the understanding that even that can change. :)

The communication is appreciated. Looking forward to more "Reveals" and the evolution of the process.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 pm
Hey, everyone:
Thank you for your interest in the Siren. We know there are a lot of people who are anxious for its release. It's important to note that even with the best-laid plans, things can come up in a production environment that can cause a delay. If we had a working crystal ball, well, first of all, how cool would that be? But seriously, the choice to reveal something is based on our absolute best information and with the best of intentions.

There were many reasons that we changed how we release products. It wasn't something that we did lightly. I think we also mentioned that it's a work in progress. We are striving to do better and all things considered, I think we've done fairly well given the number of new releases we send out in any given year. Just the same though, we're listening and we are constantly evaluating our process. Hang in there with us.

As for the Siren, based on our current schedule we anticipate it will start shipping in late March/early April. That's not what we hoped for, but that is reality. We're excited for the Siren and we believe it will be worth the wait.

Thanks much for your continued support and interest!

Kristi
Oh cool! Looks like I can keep my shaman. Very happy about that.
Monty

Post by Monty »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:58 am
The siren will be on the market for a while (hopefully). Maybe wait a month to buy - even after release - and you can keep both the Siren and the Shaman?
Seriously.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

March or early April are okay with me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 pm
mrtodd777 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 am
Why is the release date so important to everyone?? This will most likely be my favorite and most used Spyderco to date, but we alll need to realize all of the things that factor into the release date.

I am assuming most of you don’t work in a CNC metal machine shop like I do. Delays can result from a million different things. Holidays just passed and from what I understand, Spyderco takes great care of their employees. Holidays put us back at least 2 weeks annually.

Another thing to consider is vendor reliability. We are constantly ordering from huge and very well respected steel mills but are constantly fighting delivery date guarantees and issues that the the vendor may be having. A single roll-in saw being down on the production line can delay shipments by weeks. These are only two examples of the hundreds of things that can delay production.

Just because you’ve done it before, and mastered the process and design, almost never means it is repeatable 100% of the time. Issues Always arise.

Just a thought. I for one can’t wait for this knife, but at the same time, I CAN WAIT.
I dont know why you included all the gatekeeping here, but I personally can wait as well. I just wanted to know if I should sell my shaman because I have it on preorder from bladehq, and if it gets released this month I'll need to sell my shaman to cover the funds that would take.
That wasn’t my intention. I totally get the fund availability concern. I wasnt aiming my long winded comment at you and it might have come off like that.

I was just trying to throw my .02 out there to some folks who might not actually know all the intricacies of the design/mfg process.
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

The Siren is my next purchase and I will gladly wait. I do appreciate the update on the expected release and look forward getting my hands on it. Thanks to all.
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

The Siren is my next knife too and I'm really looking forward to it. Big fan of LC200N here. A song as it comes out tasty, I'm ok with the wait.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Late March, early April would actually be perfect in time for my birthday. Haha. Looking forward to it. This is the most I’ve looked forward to a release in quite some time!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

😬😬😬😬😬
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:33 am
It probably takes more to make a production Salt knife than most of us realize. I’m mostly just guessing but I think that the delay on this one has possibly been a result of making sure that every aspect and component of the Siren is fully worthy of the “Salt knife” designation. Sometimes it takes a little longer than expected to do things right. I’m as impatient as the next guy but if I have to choose, I’ll always take “right” over “fast”. Last word I heard from Spyderco was soon.
Thanks, Lance. I love my Waterway and I'm excited to receive my Siren. :)
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Almost a Siren
Attachments
8110270F-7A42-4B42-86E7-A72B09FA4F87.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi LibeRANTarian,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Bump 😬
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

According to the Spyderco app, this is shipping to dealers now!

-Nick :bug-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wait! I can hear them ....
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Trying hard to resist their song!

Linerless is helping, but just barely.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"