Does dust cause rust??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fright_Fox

Does dust cause rust??

Post by Fright_Fox »

First I asked if dirt caused rust but I meant to say does dust cause a knife to rust? I have a lot of dust in my liners I need to clean out.
JMM

Re: Does dust cause rust??

Post by JMM »

Yeah, I would have a peek at this...
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... t#p1397992

What kind of liners/steel/models do you have that have "a lot of dust" in them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dust can't "cause" rust but, like anything else that can trap and hold moisture, it can create an environment that promotes rust.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

The Deacon is of course correct, as usual. I'll expand on his answer a bit.

Think of dust, as tiny little sponge particles. Dry, becasue they floated/made their way there into/onto your knife liners (Dry cotton bluejeans lint).
:D
They then easily soak-up moisture from the surrounding air (think steamy Summertime pockets, or a humid day), and then they hold that moisture tight up against your liners for hours. Possibly thousands of hours? At some point, even some of the best of stainless steels start to show signs of corrosion.

I am lucky enough to be walking by an air compressor hose, nearly every hour of the day. I blow my liners out, and the end of most days. If you are not as lucky? Buy a can of compressed air, and give them blast. At least once a week. :spyder:
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I live in a very humid environment (Gulf Coast) but my knives spend their time in a temp and humidity controlled space. My house that is. I clean my knives periodically and have not had any rust problems. I don’t blow them clean weekly by any means but I might if I worked outside or had the knives in a very humid environment for very long. Days not hours. If I wash or rinse a knife in fresh water I make sure it’s dry inside the grip and liners before folding and putting it away.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: