Looking at the Sage 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Looking at the Sage 5 LW

Post by gull wing »

The Sage 1 was a eye opener for me when they came out, before that one the Calypso Jr was my go to knife. The Sage 1 was a bit more hefty and was great in hand, love the knife.(still do)
I'm looking at the lightweight Sage 5 because of how much I like the Para 3 LW over the G10.
Is there any difference in the blade shape, the handle shape of the lightweight over the Sage 1? Of course looking forward to the compression lock.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JustinB

Re: Looking at the Sage 5 LW

Post by JustinB »

While I don't have a Sage 1 to compare, I believe there is no diffrence in handle or blade shape in any of the Sages (aside from the bolt lock which had a slightly altered handle to be able to fit the lock). The purpose of the Sage line was to use different locks in the same basic platform. The Sage 5 lwt is a GREAT blade and I'm sure you'll love it
Justin :spyder:
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I want to try one too but at the same time hesitant.

I've heard several people say it kicked their Para 3 LW from their pocket. haha

I carry my LW Para 3 almost every day in the office and I've really fallen in love with it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The Sage5 handle has an advantage that it shares with the Sage4... no lockbar cutout for the liner/frame lock (and no added bump for the bolt lock Sage3). In hand I appreciate this very much. Unlike the CF Sage5, the LW version also has the same pivot bushing setup as the Para3 LW, making for truly great comp lock performance.

I also like it more than the Para3 LW because the handle isn't as restricting (the bump near the rear of the grip makes it cramped for my large hands). Honestly, a good argument could be make that the Sage5 LW is the one to rule them all.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

I also like it more than the Para3 LW because the handle isn't as restricting (the bump near the rear of the grip makes it cramped for my large hands). Honestly, a good argument could be make that the Sage5 LW is the one to rule them all.

+1

Sadly, the Sage 5 LW is not a Golden model and so probably the Para 3 will continue to be the small comp. lock knife that gets that unvelievable amount of variants.

I sometimes feel like the Sage 5 was designed from the scratch to be a perfect small folder, and so it makes good use of the available space on the short handle (and has reasonable bladestock thickness).

While the Para 3 is basically a "baby / shrunken" PM2, which is probably part of its appeal.
But the handle design with the hook at the end, that "hugs" even large hands on the PM2, is not ideal on the smaller Para 3.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:15 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

+1

Sadly, the Sage 5 LW is not a Golden model and so probably the Para 3 will continue to be the small comp. lock knife that gets that unvelievable amount of variants.

I sometimes feel like the Sage 5 was designed from the scratch to be a perfect small folder, and so it makes good use of the available space on the short handle (and has reasonable bladestock thickness).

While the Para 3 is basically a "baby / shrunken" PM2, which is probably part of its appeal.
But the handle design with the hook at the end, that "hugs" even large hands on the PM2, is not ideal on the smaller Para 3.
I agree on all counts, I have the Sage3 CF & G10, Sage5 & 5 LW, and I really love them all, (the bolt-lock especially) -- the Sage5 LW is hands down my favourite LW model of any LW from Spyderco, ever, it's a wonderful piece of engineering... I seem to recall a thread (don't quote me on this) on it where Sal mentioned something to the tune of - that one of the things the Sage5 LW offered them was the ability to easily swap out FRN colours & steels easier than previous models, which I think would be amazing, I have a bunch of Para3's, which I do like, but if I had the option today to buy a Para3 (g10 or LW) with a particular colour & steel, but I also had that option in a Sage5 LW platform, I would take the Sage5 LW all day long... 4v, Rex45, K390, Cruwear, Maxamet, XHP, ohhhhh keep it coming, I would have a new "most collected" platform overnight!