Mantra: Long Term Review and Thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Mantra: Long Term Review and Thoughts

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Spyderco Mantra was an incredible surprise for me. I purchased it during the discontinued sale in 2018, for the sole purpose of trading it later on. I am not a fan of flipper tabs and don't care for frame locks either(although they've grown on me). This shouldn't be my knife!

Chapter 1:

When it arrived, I looked it over as I always do, stuck it back in the box and put it away. About a month passed and I started thinking about it again. I went home, took it out and started messing with it. It was alright, the handle would have been perfect, had it not been for the flipper tab being a bit in the ideal grip area. Close enough, I'll give it a whirl!

I started carrying it occasionally, light use, nothing crazy, just letters and packages. In this time, I discovered a few secrets of the knife. One of my biggest problems with liner and frame lock knives is that you have to put your finger in the path of the blade, in order to close it. Not ideal for me. When combined, the flipper tab acts as a large ricasso and shields the finger. Thus, negating the issue.

The next thing I discovered, was that I could pop the blade closed using the detent ball. I unlock the knife to the detent ball, pull my thumb back, push the top of the hump with my index finger and the blade pops shut once it breaks over the detent ball. It is probably not an efficient method for most, but I've got it down to a crazy balancing act that I do not advise anyone to attempt(it is like a reflex to me).

This information was gathered about the first 2-3 months of light carry. It had proven itself to be better than the average.

Chapter 2:

The Mantra had now entered my personal rotation, a place not many knives make it. It was now going to see some actual use, I still take care of them, but they get used like they won't be sold.

I paid special attention to the M4, as I did not want it to corrode as some other tool steels had. It worked, with not so much as a spec of corrosion occurring. Gradually, I became more comfortable with the knife, as well as more fond of it. The titanium handles have an excellent heft to them, which makes the knife feel very stout. Couple that, with the performance that M4 was giving me and this knife was knocking others off left and right.

This lasted for about 6 months or so. By then, it was getting more carry time than anything but the Carribean. It had proven itself to be a great tool and found itself in my "Top Three".

All bets are off and may God have mercy on its soul!

Chapter 3:

It has now entered a realm in which only a few grizzled veterans reside. There is no turning back from here, you are mine. You will be mine until you lie before me in a broken heap. I love you, but I do not care about you. You are now a tool, welcome to the top.

At this point, I started testing the limits. How much abuse can the Mantra take before it falters? Step one, I halted blade maintenance and increased usage to daily. I gave the Carribean a break and this moved into the daily carry spot. I have used it for everything from cutting wires, to stabbing nail heads(unintentionally). It hasn't skipped a beat. When I stabbed it into the nail head while taking a picture of it in the snow, aside from actually sticking into the nailhead and standing, it came away with almost no damage. It had a slight chip just below the tip that was sharpened out within 10 minutes on the Sharpmaker browns. The tip is still intact, as far as I can tell.

There's a nailhead under there, somewhere!

During this time I had also stopped oiling the blade in an attempt to develop a patina. After 3-4 months it finally started to get a little bit of character, but it's still remarkably clear. I'll keep at it.

Now we are at the present day and it is still going strong, sitting comfortably in third.

Disassembly:

I disassembled this knife today for the second time and on both occasions, it has been a painless task. Super simple, not a lot of parts.
I couldn't get one of the standoffs removed, but other than that it was flawless. I cleaned it up, put it back together and it was perfect on the first try(both times). The only thing you need to take note of is the cupped washers. Mine have been cupped since day one and it hasn't affected it at all. I have put them back on in the same way, both reassemblies, with no issues.
(Couldn't get that one standoff!)

Final Thoughts:

After a little more than one year of using this knife, It has been a complete shock. With everything it had working against it, for it to make it to where it is, is simply astonishing.

M4 has shown more than enough corrosion resistance to survive in the mountains of N. Georgia, with only a little bit of care. This steel is also plenty tough, I can't fault it there either.

Overall, the Mantra has proven itself to be a reliable member of my team and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Re: Mantra: Long Term Review and Thoughts

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mine's a keeper too. Detent was pretty soft until I flipped the flattened detent ball over. Now it flips fairly snappy. I know a lot of people have complained of issues with the washers & bearings. Fortunately mine have been fine.

Thinking about having someone do one of those fancy anodizing jobs on mine. I almost wish I would've bought a back up when they went on clearance. Too many other purchases going on at the time though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Nice review. I got a Mantra 2 on closeout. Pretty nice knife. Not up to modern flipping standards as expected. Detent is fine. Lockup is late but solid.
It carries exceptionally well with non abrading scales and a wire clip. The lockbar cutout is on the inside so no snagging. It's lightweight, thin and narrow.
Blade grind is full flat but not very thin behind the edge. I thinned out the primary grind on my belt sanders.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I added some pictures. I have more, I just have to take the time to sit down and compile them together.

I really wanted a Mantra 2, but my wife bought a house at the same time the sale was going on. Priorities...

Guess where all my money goes now!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Great review!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Very cool, the Mantra one is the best Mantra nailed it from the beginning.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I agree, it is fantastic! It is my favorite Delica based knife currently in existence.

-Thomas Jefferson
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:37 pm
I agree, it is fantastic! It is my favorite Delica based knife currently in existence.
I've said before the Mantra tics all the upgrades asked for in wish threads. However doesn't get justice!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I've now tried a lot of ti framelock knives, and what I've discovered is that I don't like most of them. Framelocks aren't my favorite, and ti handles are so slick that I don't like them unless they fit my hand perfectly. Only 3 remain in my collection: the Domino, and the Mantra and Mantra 2. The Domino's ergos are excellent for me, and the single g10 scale negates the slipping issue. But the Mantras also fit my hand really well, and the knives essentially feel like flipping ti versions of my beloved delicas (the different blade shape of the 2 adds nice variety, too). I've yet to have any issues with the bearings or washers. Love them.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Really nice review.
I too greatly enjoy the Mantra, and think of it as an upgraded, flipping Delica. Which is all goodness in my book.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

I'm also glad to see some Mantra love!

-Thomas Jefferson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Mantra 2 has an amazing profile - so slim! Almost looks Phil Wilson inspired - love that the edge goes all the way to the handle
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice review!

I picked up a Mantra 2, deeply discounted, a few months back.. mostly because the price was so good.. not knowing how i would feel about it. After carrying and using it, it's grown on me immensely.. makes me upset that I didn't get a Mantra back when they first got dc'd. I prefer the look of the Mantra to the Mantra 2, but I the lack of a hump makes the 2 very comfortable for me. I'm also always amazed by the amount of cutting edge relative to the compact overall profile of the knife.. very impressive!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It is a growth now, that's for sure!
:p

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Awesome review/write up! I love when a member takes the time to do one of these. Always good to see how others feel about a particular model when it comes to full blown use and disassembly.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick

Post by 013 »

My Mantra II is the only Delica I've owned or handled. I like how the blade disappears into the handle making it very pocket friendly. The M4 is a nicely added bonus. It is also my first wire clip which I feel matches nicely with the handle material. I feel that the Mantra models are the ultimate evolution of the Delica & It's disappointing that they were disco'd. Although if they weren't disco'd, I wouldn't have been able to buy one new for $120 which made it an excellent value.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Nice review and pic.
I love both my Mantra and Matra 2.
Good to hear more people praise this beauty.