SE for cutting CPVC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CalRob

SE for cutting CPVC

Post by CalRob »

Hi everyone, new to the forum, somewhat new to Spyderco.

I deal with a lot of CPVC piping for work, I service fire protection sprinkler systems. My usual tool for cutting this pipe is a hackzall, but pipe hidden in ceilings sometimes doesn't have space for me to fit the hackzall in. There's also the issue with water getting into my hackzall (r.i.p) that's become a bother.

With that being said, I'm looking at a small knife with a SE that can handle cutting up to 2" cpvc in emergency circumstances. My initial thoughts was a dragonfly 2 salt, but I don't know if it's enough knife to get the job done. Any ideas?

Just a quick synopsis of what I'm looking for in this particular application

-edc
-salt
-full SE
-strong enough to cut through CPVC

Thank you!
sal

Re: SE for cutting CPVC

Post by sal »

Hi CalRob,

Welcome to our forum.

While I don't have any personal experience in cutting plastic pipe, I don't think that a serrated edge would work for your needs. I think they could eventually get through a pipe, but because they do not remove material, I think it would be very slow. I'm curious to see what the folks here have to say or have experienced.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I agree with Sal. I think a small folding saw would suit your needs better.

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
CalRob

Post by CalRob »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I suppose a part of me just wants an excuse to buy another Spyderco!

I've been using a smaller hacksaw in a pinch, but I still find it slightly cumbersome, and I have to go to my toolbag every time I need it. It'd be nice to have something light in my pocket that could theoretically handle the situation in a pinch.

I'll continue looking for options, and might get the Dragonfly 2 SE salt just to have. Or maybe I'll take one for the team and see how it works in practice and report back.
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

CalRob wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am

I deal with a lot of CPVC piping for work, I service fire protection sprinkler systems. My usual tool for cutting this pipe is a hackzall, but pipe hidden in ceilings sometimes doesn't have space for me to fit the hackzall in. There's also the issue with water getting into my hackzall (r.i.p) that's become a bother.

With that being said, I'm looking at a small knife with a SE that can handle cutting up to 2" cpvc in emergency circumstances. My initial thoughts was a dragonfly 2 salt, but I don't know if it's enough knife to get the job done. Any ideas?

-edc
-salt
-full SE

Thank you!
Part of my occupation is working on irrigation for turf, golf courses to be specific. I would use smaller hack saws or even a PVC Pipe Cable Saw. Not a serrated knife. We make use of the cable saws alot on our PVC for our golf course irrigation and they are a life saver for tight areas or extremely rocky soils. Less time removing soil/rock to fit a shovel or hacksaw is important. I could see how cable saws could benefit your occupation as well. I hope this helps you! I personally would only be using a knife for de-burring the open end of a cut on the PVC. Hacksaws and cable saws generally have very small serrated teeth for a reason as well they will be much faster as Sal has stated.
CalRob

Post by CalRob »

I'll look into some pipe cable saws! Didn't even know a tool like that existed. Thank you for recommendation.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Like the other guys said, a serrated knife just gets wedged instead of cutting. A saw is what you need so you can remove material.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FreeGolf wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:23 am
CalRob wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am

-edc
-salt
-full SE

Thank you!
Part of my occupation is working on irrigation for turf, golf courses to be specific. I would use smaller hack saws or even a PVC Pipe Cable Saw. Not a serrated knife. We make use of the cable saws alot on our PVC for our golf course irrigation and they are a life saver for tight areas or extremely rocky soils. Less time removing soil/rock to fit a shovel or hacksaw is important. I could see how cable saws could benefit your occupation as well. I hope this helps you! I personally would only be using a knife for de-burring the open end of a cut on the PVC. Hacksaws and cable saws generally have very small serrated teeth for a reason as well they will be much faster as Sal has stated.

What he said. Cable saws for the win on installed pipe. I use a miter saw new pipe. A sharp FFG PE Delica is great for de-burring as you said.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CalRob wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:29 am
I'll look into some pipe cable saws! Didn't even know a tool like that existed. Thank you for recommendation.

Cable saws are awesome! So cheap and simple, yet there is nothing better in tight areas.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nylon string can also be used in a pinch. I've cut through 4 inch pvc conduit with it before. Not the best but if you have nothing else...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Could get a pvc pipecutter as well. Its a big ratcheted plain edge wedge that sort of works like shears.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think SE may be able to do it but it's FAR from a good tool for the job (any pocket knife for that matter). I would look into some of Victorinox's Swiss Army Knives and or multitools, they use little saws that cut very aggressively and are small enough to get into tight places while still having enough length to cut probably about a 2 inch pipe if needed. Their saws are unmatched IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

CalRob wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:29 am
No prob! :cool:
CalRob

Post by CalRob »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am
Could get a pvc pipecutter as well. Its a big ratcheted plain edge wedge that sort of works like shears.
I own a pair, but my hand operated ones struggle on anything bigger than 1" CPVC. I can use them on 1 1/2", but they struggle, and no chance (for me anyways) of using my pair to cut 2".

Milwaukee does make a battery operated pair, that can cut 2", but I still run the issue of getting water into my tool.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am
I think SE may be able to do it but it's FAR from a good tool for the job (any pocket knife for that matter). I would look into some of Victorinox's Swiss Army Knives and or multitools, they use little saws that cut very aggressively and are small enough to get into tight places while still having enough length to cut probably about a 2 inch pipe if needed. Their saws are unmatched IMO.
Came in to say the same thing. Some of the Swisstools have both a wood saw and a metal saw. Plus so many other useful tools too!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Lots of different multitools have good saws. The Leatherman Surge has a T-shank blade receiver that allows you to use any blade with a T-shank end (jig saw blades).

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Use the proper tool

Also - Milwaukee makes a folding saw that takes sawzall blades
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am

The larger Delemont made Victorinox Rangergrip SAKS have the longest of these ferocious sawblades.
Donut

Post by Donut »

There was a farmer guy on the forum a while back that posted pictures of what type of work he does. I remember he posted pictures of cutting some relatively large plastic tubing. If I can remember right, I think he used a plain edge Military.

There was a guy worked as a residential Electrician and he posted a review of the Rock Lobster and how he used it to strip some heavy gauge wire. The last time I looked up the thread, the pictures were dead. I think it was the photobucket mess up. Somehow I found a way to get them and rehosted and posted them... somewhere. I should have gone back to the original thread and reposted them there (which I might have done).

*edit* I think this was the post with someone cutting pipe, it was a Manix 2. Photobucket is the devil. :P

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p792207

He also cuts some plastic tubing in this video around 2:40. https://youtu.be/iQ890ZXob7Q
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the Forum, CalRob! :)

I think you may like to look at the Opinel Saws. They come in two sizes, they’re light as, fold and from memory they cut on both the push and pull stroke.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin