Sal, question about GITD FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Sal, question about GITD FRN

Post by spyderg »

Would it work to use the gitd as an inlay? Bright yellow or orange all around the edge then gitd in the middle? It wouldn’t be up my alley personally, but interesting discussion.
I’ve got a GEC, (a couple actually) in knifebrite and while it doesn’t glow for all that long, it glows super bright. I was out at my friends property and dropped it in the dark, in tall grass. A normal knife would have been lost but I took out my flashlight and shone it in a sweeping pattern around me until suddenly a bright glow popped through the grass and I got my knife back.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 am
BTW, how did you get out of the Stargate Universe?
Did you see the end of Season 5? This is how I spend my spare time now. ;)
—Daniel Jackson
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:37 am
Would it work to use the gitd as an inlay? Bright yellow or orange all around the edge then gitd in the middle? It wouldn’t be up my alley personally, but interesting discussion.
In a composite material that's being machined already, the only prohibiting factor is cost.

In FRN, it would require new tooling to change the mold, so probably a no-go. They could mix colors, but the result would never be as clean as an inlay. (On a small scale I think it's possible with the molds to carefully separate colors in a double shot, but I doubt they'd try anything more than swirl/marble mix at production scale.
—Daniel Jackson
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Anyone who's interested in what this stuff looks like "raw", check out Big Clive's new video: https://youtu.be/LbqX4j5XieQ
(Note, his channel isn't kid-friendly, though he doesn't cuss as much as some.)
—Daniel Jackson