Sal, question about GITD FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Sal, question about GITD FRN

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Sal,

Can FRN that has had the glow in the dark material added also have a little color added, or does it have to be natural? What about FRCP?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Re: Sal, question about GITD FRN

Post by Sharp Guy »

I know I've seen blue GITD.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I know I like the Delica I have. It is so practical I leave it on the bedside table. I can imagine a knife like this in the woods..bright color by day, glows in the dark by night. The Stretch and the PAC Salt could really benefit from this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:43 am
I can imagine a knife like this in the woods..bright color by day, glows in the dark by night.
That's why I got these for my boys when they're a bit older. I think they'll make great knives for them to carry in the woods, camping, hiking, etc. Hopefully hard for them to lose!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

I'm sorry, I don't know. We purchase the material already made and we wok it from there.

Anyone know?

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Doc Dan wrote:
I know I like the Delica I have. It is so practical I leave it on the bedside table. I can imagine a knife like this in the woods..bright color by day, glows in the dark by night. The Stretch and the PAC Salt could really benefit from this.

Doc, does it still glow noticeably when you wake deep in the night, hours after the last light was switched off?

It is definitely possible to have GITD material in many different colors. But I'm sure you know this. I do not know if this applies to FRN though.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Doc, does it still glow noticeably when you wake deep in the night, hours after the last light was switched off?

It is definitely possible to have GITD material in many different colors. But I'm sure you know this. I do not know if this applies to FRN though.
It glows all night.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'm certainly no expert in this but it seems like if there were dye in the material (micro/nanoscopic particles?) it would sort of "absorb" the light being emanated from within the handle. But again, I could be entirely wrong; if so, call it a pseudo-theory lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have various coloured rubbery boots to flashlight switches that are gitd... mostly green.

I also know that the colour of tritium beads also affects their luminosity, with green appearing the brightest.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Neon colors are all possible with the right additives, but the peak emissions / best effects are in UV, blue and green.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium_aluminate

You can pretty easily but this stuff as a powder to add to resin, but I'm not sure if that's compatible with Spyderco's process.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am
archangel wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

It glows all night.
That’s pretty impressive. I am often on the water before daylight and sometimes find myself fumbling around in the gunnel of the kayak looking for my knife. I would appreciate a GITD frn salt knife!

A little off topic, I often use GITD jigs for fishing and they seem to be effective, especially when making deeper drops where the light gets dim. I know that one of the reasons spyderco uses yellow on the salts is because that color is highly visible underwater. Seems like a GITD handle could offer similar benefit.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:57 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am
archangel wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

It glows all night.
That’s pretty impressive. I am often on the water before daylight and sometimes find myself fumbling around in the gunnel of the kayak looking for my knife. I would appreciate a GITD frn salt knife!

A little off topic, I often use GITD jigs for fishing and they seem to be effective, especially when making deeper drops where the light gets dim. I know that one of the reasons spyderco uses yellow on the salts is because that color is highly visible underwater. Seems like a GITD handle could offer similar benefit.
Yes, especially if it were bright yellow or orange in daylight.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I would love to see a bright yellow or orange GITD Pac Salt too. Would be great for those early morning fishes.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would be all over gitd salts. those are two of my favorite things.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I would be interested in GITD inserts in Salt handles (ala Kraton), if nothing else.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

A GITD Carbon Fiber model would be cool too, smooth or peel-ply!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I would like a GITD FFG Ladybug in VG10 to go with the Delica. Does anyone know if there were plans to create more in this GITD line?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I don’t know but Spyderco should make this a regular production item.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love my GITD! Not so much the Delica, but I'm all for full production GITD(Especially a Jester SE)!

It's really nice to be able to see your knife on the nightstand, without a light.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Glow in the dark toxic green would work well with the salt treatment and maintains the high visibility element. I would be all over a glowing green native salt!