Has the size of serrations changed over the years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Has the size of serrations changed over the years?

Post by Evil D »

I was admiring a pic of a C49 Wegner combo edge and maybe it's just this knife but the serrations seem like they're much bigger/wider than current offerings. My 2009 Military seems this way too. I figured larger knives would maybe have larger serrations (Military vs a Ladybug for example)?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Re: Has the size of serrations changed over the years?

Post by cabfrank »

It does have something to do with the particular knife. The serrations on my Salt 1 are bigger than on my Jumpmaster 2, for example.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I think there was a change to shallower scallops after the 90s. I have two examples of early 90s that have very deep serrations and they don't work as well as the shallow ones after the 90s
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:37 pm
It does have something to do with the particular knife. The serrations on my Salt 1 are bigger than on my Jumpmaster 2, for example.
This true also. My early 90s Harpy has shallow scallops. Not deep and narrow like my Police and Worker from the same time
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

The breadknife in the culinary line has smaller and different serrations.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They seem to vary at times. This Rescue has quite a bit larger small scallops.

- best wishes, Jazz.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Some are ground deeper also. My combo.edge enduras serrations are cut deeper and higher into the blade than my salts.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wasn’t there a whole thread on serration variations a while back? Seemed like there were at least 3 types. M

AFAIK Spyderco’s serrations are cut with serration grinding wheels. These are commercially available. It could be these wheels vary in availability or that Spyderco orders different wheels for different models. No idea.
Eee

Post by Eee »

I asked a similar question a few years ago. I thought I’d spotted that Golden serrations were shallower than Seki serrations. Sal said that the grinding tools wear during their life so the profiles vary subtly as the tool gets older. The older the tool, the shallower the serrations.

I prefer shallower.

I’m also waiting to hear from from JD Spydo the serration King :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I also think that the grinding wheels for the serrations are consumable so the serrations change as the wheels wear down.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Wasn’t there a whole thread on serration variations a while back? Seemed like there were at least 3 types. M

There was, that was my thread. I wasn't so much asking about variations, more just that it seems like they were much larger in general on some older models.
~David
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

This is an interesting topic for sure. It would be nice to have some type of data base to compare different serrations.

The following are what I have in SE with the deepest serrations listed first. By that I mean the u shaped cut out from the edge toward the spine. The width seems to be the same on all models except the DF, which is narrower.
1 Delica CE
2 Pac Salt (4), Native 5 LC 200, LC may be a little deeper
3 Salt 2 (3), Endela
4 Dragonfly, Dragonfly Salt
5 Delica full SE
6 Salt 2 HB

These were not measured. The Mk 1 calibrated eyeball was used. Lets hear what others have observed. All these were bought in the last 4 years.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The D'allara Rescue was made 2004-2006 and its serrations are identical to those of my Pacific Salt (2004-2019), except for the slight curve in the Pac Salt's blade. This knife cuts better than any I've ever tried, for thick vines, branches, etc. It even seems to cut better than the Pac Salt, probably because it's easier to use more power with its thick, contoured handle, and the straight edge doesn't slip out of the cut as easily as the Salt's curved blade. Anyway, it's taught me to favor large serrations and a sheepfoot blade for this kind of cutting.

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It looks like a cutting beast. I could see it compared to a folding Jumpmaster 1.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

It's the small serrations that are deeper and Snaggy.

1992 Police

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:09 am
It looks like a cutting beast. I could see it compared to a folding Jumpmaster 1.
After using the D'Allara I thought I really wanted the original Jumpmaster, but when I tried one in a store I found the handle to be thinner and less comfortable. That plus the Jumpmaster price made me happy to stick with the D'Allara. (no pun -- the snubnose doesn't stick very well :) )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Very cool that you have a nearby store where you can try before you buy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For the past 15 years or so I've seen the scale/size of the Spyderco serration patterns vary quite a bit. Also the serrations from the GOLDEN, CO made Spyders are much more different that the ones in the Japan made units. It's been that way for years now. I'm holding out hope that at some point Spyderco will start testing out newer serration patterns. I've for a long time liked the rounded/wavy type of serration pattern like the ones on their K-04 and K-05 Spyderco kitchen knives. I would love a hunting knife with those type of serrations.

I guess the type of serration pattern concerns me more than the size or scale of the pattern. It's also concerning me that they are offering the serrated edge option on fewer knives. There are many designs I would love to see offered in SE like the Recurve models for instance. Great thread I want to hear more.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Mail call! 1997 Endura. The serrations aren't as deep as 1992.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure I was clear in my original post, I realize I asked a question that I myself already answered in my length thread about serrations.

The Wegner I mentioned just seemed to have massive large serrations, bigger than I think I've seen on most knives and definitely bigger than anything being made today.
~David